Confirmed Trade: [MIN/BUF] Marcus Johansson for Eric Staal

Bobby Terrance

Jul 21, 2018
kind of a head scratched on both sides. minnesota got a pretty vanilla return there, on the flip side I guess buffalo just wanted to dump johansson's contract? because I'm not sure what an about to be 36 year old declining center like buffalo is supposed to do for them since buffalo is not going to be competing for anything than maybe a playoff appearance and 1st round exit next year
I realize this has probably been replied too, I'm just getting off work going through this thread, but I imagine it is a step to tell Eichel they are looking to add that talent at center behind him to take some of the heavy lifting off his shoulders. I like it for them.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
I think that is a fairly large gamble when the guy is 35. I'm happy about the trade, but do feel like anything could happen in terms of staal's production or overall play

Yeah agreed but luckily if it doesn’t work out there’s only a year of term there. I think the upside is greater than the downside of paying him $3.25M to play on the 4th line.

Reactions: jc17

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
He can't.

I disagree with people who think this is some big win for the Sabres. I get that it buys them a year to hope Cozens or somebody is ready next year, but they still aren't a playoff team. Doesn't hurt but not a major win.

It's ok value for MIN I guess, but at the end of the day they shoulda just held onto Staal and dealt him at the deadline. That would've made way more sense. But I can understand wanting an NHL body back.

You can disagree, but when you take $50,000 and only give up $30,000, it's a big win... That still might not bring you close to buying your house, but it's still a big win. When the return exceeds what you give up, it's not a "doesn't hurt" return. The only way it's not a big win is if Staal retires. Points aside, Staal is just a better player. I agree that Buffalo isn't suddenly becoming a threatening playoff team from this.

nickdawg95

scoutdawg
Jan 7, 2016
I think it's a good move. I don't think it's great. If you think it's great you're just blatantly loving.
we got rid of injury prone MJ, took back less cap, got a stop-gap 2/3c and a tremendous leader for the locker room.

great move

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Feels like a weird move for both teams. Staal would make a good acquisition for a contender and Johansson isn't young enough to help the Wild on a retool.

Makes sense for Buffalo, if they think Staal can still contribute 50-ish points. They desperately need an offensive contributor to play behind Eichel as the 2C.

Gargyn

Oct 19, 2006
Kelowna, BC
So far the Wild centres for 20-21 are Ericsson-Ek, Bjugstad and Rask. Woof. They don’t just need a top line centre. They need a second line centre too. That’s why this trade makes no sense. Sure Staal is slowing down but he can fill the 2C nicely. This is mind boggling. Does Guerin think Bjugstad can be a 2C?

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
Apparently the team you cheer for because your coming across as..... bitter.
lol I'm happy with the Hawks three cups, but don't sit here and spin a lyric that buffalo was remotely close to a playoff spot with 12 teams in front of them at the pause.

Accelleratii

Jul 25, 2010
Pennsylvania
I'm guessing the Wild are moving money to make a bigger move and the Sabres are trying to compliment Eichel / support him / provide leadership

BowieSabresFan

Nov 18, 2010
He can't.

I disagree with people who think this is some big win for the Sabres. I get that it buys them a year to hope Cozens or somebody is ready next year, but they still aren't a playoff team. Doesn't hurt but not a major win.

It's ok value for MIN I guess, but at the end of the day they shoulda just held onto Staal and dealt him at the deadline. That would've made way more sense. But I can understand wanting an NHL body back.

Buffalo got better, and saved money in the process. In addition, Staal can spend a season imparting his wisdom and experience with the young Sabres' centers. How is this not a big win for the Sabres? You're letting your biases show.

Toronto makebeleifs

Jul 4, 2014
Minnesota is playing the long game here everyone. No number 1 center? Tank as hard as possible to get Shane Wright. 1c position solved for a decade with a few shrewd and quite brilliant moves, this shall be the first of many for tankwright!

P10p

May 15, 2012
M.Jo has had a couple rough years but he is young enough. If Guerin thinks he can regain his form, i'm okay taking that risk for Staal who I think really slowed down last year and won't be getting faster in my estimation.

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
lol I'm happy with the Hawks three cups, but don't sit here and spin a lyric that buffalo was remotely close to a playoff spot with 12 teams in front of them at the pause.
Remotely close? They played Montreal the next night before hockey stopped L, were only 2 points back and had 2 games in hand. Do some checking before you type crap.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Buffalo got better, and saved money in the process. In addition, Staal can spend a season imparting his wisdom and experience with the young Sabres' centers. How is this not a big win for the Sabres? You're letting your biases show.

It's a nice deal.

I just don't think it's a great deal. We'll see, feel free to rub it in my face if the Sabres make the playoffs.

Rivet52

Oct 10, 2008
Buffalo, NY
While I've heard plenty about Staal threatening retirement before; I could certainly see him playing this year due to his friendship with the Sabres new GM.

I never thought of this but it's a great point. Adams and Staal were teammates in Carolina and won the Cup together in 2006. I would imagine Adams knows Staal pretty well as a person and wouldn't have made this trade if he felt that he might not agree to play for the Sabres. The fact that Adams is the guy that made the trade to acquire him also makes me believe that Staal will embrace coming to Buffalo after the initial shock wears off.

The aforementioned Skinner connection probably helps, too.

Speaking of which, wasn't the Wild offered a 1st round pick for Staal some time ago but turned it down? So they pretty much think Marcus Johansson is worth more than a 1st round pick I guess, even though I considered him a cap dump who likely has zero value.

Well, I trust that they know something I don't.

As was already said, different management was rumored to have turned that offer down. It was also over a year ago. A lot can change in sports in a year. It's not smart to always look in hindsight, even though fans make this mistake all the time when analyzing moves after time has passed.

I love the trade for Buffalo. Staal's exactly the type of player the Sabres needed. If someone told me 15 years ago that he'd end up with them eventually, I wouldn't have believed it. It's still going to be weird to see him in a Sabres jersey. He's not that 100-point player anymore but he's a capable second-line center and should still be able to contribute offensively for a team in dire need of goals and overall offensive production from the second line. Johansson isn't a bad player and is well-known for his possession skills but Staal is clearly the better of the two and the Sabres have enough middling wingers that he won't be a big loss. That second-line center spot has been Buffalo's biggest hole since O'Reilly was traded. I think this trade helps a lot both short-term and long-term. The other intangibles Staal brings are just a bonus for a young team that could use more leadership. I disagree with anyone who thinks this trade isn't that good for the Sabres. This a player that won't light the world on fire but should be good for 20 goals and 50 points and is almost guaranteed to bring just as much off the ice as he does on. The Sabres needed a player like him on the ice but in the room, too. If the Sabres look to miss the playoffs, they trade him before the deadline.

As for Minnesota, I'm not sure what to think. They don't want to play Johansson at center on a nightly basis. He's a middle-six winger that can play on really any line so he's pretty versatile. Again, not a bad player at all but definitely not a true center in this league; he can play either wing, though. Unless there's another move in place, this doesn't look good for Guerin for all the reasons mentioned. Johansson isn't going to do much for them. Very weird trade to make if nothing else is going on.

Kuznetsnow

Nov 26, 2019
Another trade like Granlund for Fiala that people don't get at the time it's made.

Johansson is much younger.
Johansson plays a speed based two way game and has utility as a defensive/transition glue guy.
30 points in 6o games in super dysfunctional one line Buffalo is nothing to sneeze at.

Johansson has a chance to equal or surpass Staal offensively this year (age being the main factor) while covering defensively at either C or W for whoever Minnesota wants to break in (Kunin, Boldy, Kaprizov) and adds speed to the lineup.

malcb33

Apr 10, 2005
New Zealand
So far the Wild centres for 20-21 are Ericsson-Ek, Bjugstad and Rask. Woof. They don’t just need a top line centre. They need a second line centre too. That’s why this trade makes no sense. Sure Staal is slowing down but he can fill the 2C nicely. This is mind boggling. Does Guerin think Bjugstad can be a 2C?
Surely it has to mean Guerin has another trade lined up? I would hope so at least...

Dion TheFluff

Jun 22, 2015
Minnesota needs scoring and centers, so they trade their best one for a 3rd line winger....
This is um puzzling to say the least.

Reactions: 57special

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Perhaps the Wild are going for a complete rebuild by planning on tanking for a few seasons?

Suter, Brodin and Spurgeon will likely prevent them from fully tanking.
They got some decent enough vet and young forwards they won't finish bottom 5 imo.
Guess they will draft a C with 9th overall and maybe trade Dumba for a 2C + pick (depending what kind of term the C has left)

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
Bizarre move for the Wild.

And I say this while also saying that Staal wasn't as good last season as his numbers indicate. Especially 5-on-5 he was just way too slow and old at times, just falling all the time and not able to stay in the play. He still picked up points though.

But Johansson sucks and is way more expensive too. Even if you think Staal is going to completely fall off next year due to being one more year older, it's still a bad trade because Johansson is useless.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad