Confirmed Trade: [MIN/BOS] Minnesota trades Charlie Coyle to Boston for Ryan Donato + 2019 5th Rd Pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tim Vezina Thomas

Jun 4, 2009
Interesting that Coyle gets a pass because the wingers he's asked to play with are terrible. Yet, Donato wasn't good enough to play wing for the Bruins. Hope some guys don't get too dizzy from the spin

He got his chance and he wasn't good at all. Not sure what else he needed. Its not like we wanted to trade him but we needed depth.

Coyle fits perfectly as 3C, and hopefully getting Heinen/Johansonn on his wing will help his offensive production.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Interesting that Coyle gets a pass because the wingers he's asked to play with are terrible. Yet, Donato wasn't good enough to play wing for the Bruins. Hope some guys don't get too dizzy from the spin

Coyle gets a pass because he gives Boston a 3rd line you can play without being scared for your life.

That line has looked dangerous but they can't just score, it's a massive improment for the previous 3rd line.

Boston had 2 clear issues on the roster and Coyle addressess one of them.

Reactions: wintersej

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
He got his chance and he wasn't good at all. Not sure what else he needed. Its not like we wanted to trade him but we needed depth.

I get that the Bruins are stacked for a playoff run, but to say he "got his chance" isn't really true. This time last year he was still playing for Harvard. He doesn't even have 82 games under his belt.

And since when is a player on pace for 20 goals and 20 assists in his first 82 NHL games considered "not good at all"?

I think the trade works well for both teams. The Bruins needed Coyle's big body and ability to play center for their playoff run and the Wild needed a younger player with more offense to his game. Win win.

Reactions: RandR

Tim Vezina Thomas

Jun 4, 2009
I get that the Bruins are stacked for a playoff run, but to say he "got his chance" isn't really true. This time last year he was still playing for Harvard. He doesn't even have 82 games under his belt.

And since when is a player on pace for 20 goals and 20 assists in his first 82 NHL games considered "not good at all"?

I think the trade works well for both teams. The Bruins needed Coyle's big body and ability to play center for their playoff run and the Wild needed a younger player with more offense to his game. Win win.

He was "not good at all" this entire year. He had 9 points in 34 games and we needed a 3C.

Donato is still a young player with a ton of offensive potential and no one wanted to trade him, but we needed a 3c. Like you said, Win Win.

Reactions: wintersej

False Start

May 8, 2018
Bruins fans are much happier right now with Coyle than they were with Donato.

I don't understand the need to swing one way or another. Bruins are a better team short term because of the trade.

Reactions: 2Pair

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Coyle's the better overall player, I'd absolutely call Donato the better offensive player right now. I've seen more offensive instincts from him in 6 games than years of watching Coyle. Donato needs to add some muscle or tune his game to one he can pull off better, but Coyle is too safe and too slow with the puck to be an offensive threat that Donato has been thus far.

You're basing this off of a 6 game sample size. For the Bruins he was a 20pt AHL level player right now. He absolutely had the skills, but they weren't transitioning and wouldn't be playing for the Bruins.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Then your coach is a moron

1. Wings fan (so you're right, Blashill is an idiot, but irrelevant to this)

2. Cassidy is coaching an injury riddled team to currently 3rd in the league with a 16 game point streak

3. Donato had 9pts in 34 games.... a 21pt pace this season and that was with plenty of PP time as well

4. Hes had a great 6 games so far with the Wild when he has less pressure playing on a bad team instead of a cup contender. Ryan Spooner had like 13pts in his first 12 games in the same situation and then reverted back to the old Spooner. Time will tell.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I don't understand why this thread needs to be bumped continually.

Donato is a good young prospect who was not ready to play in the top 6 on a contending team and not good enough to keep the 3rd line afloat on his own. He really wasn't remotely close to being ready for either role. The Bruins are pretty set on NHL left handed wings with Marchand, DeBrusk, and Heinen. And in the prospect pool, Bjork does everything better than Donato but shoot. Bruins dealt from an area of strength. The Bruins badly needed someone who could solidify the third line. Coyle can do that. Especially when Pasta, Heinen or Mojo get bumped down to help him out when Pasta comes back.

That doesn't mean Donato won't develop into a nice offensive top 6 winger. He needs to work on his skating and his strength. Everything else is there. He can put up points on a bad team today right now. But, he is still a couple years away from being able to be that guy on a good team. Or maybe he doesn't improve. I would bet a lot on Donato improving.

I think it ends up being a win win trade. I get that some Minnesota fans need to come out and say "they won the trade" because they were on the short end of the stick on some of these other trades. But the Wild didn't win the trade. Both teams are happy with the trade. Thats a good trade.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Which top 6 winger on the Bruins roster would you replace with Donato?
I would put him on the 3rd line, where apparently the wingers are so bad that they're killing Coyle's career. You don't get to say that you had too many wingers to find room for Donato to play, and then turn around and say that Coyle isn't scoring because your wingers are sooooo bad.

Reactions: hi and TheDoldrums

The Hockey Tonk Man

May 3, 2007
Toronto
B's 3rd line before the trade, rotating cast
Donato- JFK/Frederic - Nordstrom/Backes

B's third line after the trade when healthy
Johannson/Heinen - Coyle - Backes

One of these things looks way better than the other

Goose312

May 15, 2015
You're basing this off of a 6 game sample size. For the Bruins he was a 20pt AHL level player right now. He absolutely had the skills, but they weren't transitioning and wouldn't be playing for the Bruins.
Well I'm more basing it off of 500+ games of watching Coyle. If it was a contest of who will hold the puck in the offensive zone better it's Coyle without a doubt. If it's a question of who can generate offense better it's the guy who tries to generate offense every shift instead of the guy who is more concerned with holding the puck instead of scoring.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
I don't understand why this thread needs to be bumped continually.

Donato is a good young prospect who was not ready to play in the top 6 on a contending team and not good enough to keep the 3rd line afloat on his own. He really wasn't remotely close to being ready for either role. The Bruins are pretty set on NHL left handed wings with Marchand, DeBrusk, and Heinen. And in the prospect pool, Bjork does everything better than Donato but shoot. Bruins dealt from an area of strength. The Bruins badly needed someone who could solidify the third line. Coyle can do that. Especially when Pasta, Heinen or Mojo get bumped down to help him out when Pasta comes back.

That doesn't mean Donato won't develop into a nice offensive top 6 winger. He needs to work on his skating and his strength. Everything else is there. He can put up points on a bad team today right now. But, he is still a couple years away from being able to be that guy on a good team. Or maybe he doesn't improve. I would bet a lot on Donato improving.

I think it ends up being a win win trade. I get that some Minnesota fans need to come out and say "they won the trade" because they were on the short end of the stick on some of these other trades. But the Wild didn't win the trade. Both teams are happy with the trade. Thats a good trade.
Funny, all I see are a bunch of Bruins fans trying to convince themselves that they didn't lose the trade.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I would put him on the 3rd line, where apparently the wingers are so bad that they're killing Coyle's career. You don't get to say that you had too many wingers to find room for Donato to play, and then turn around and say that Coyle isn't scoring because your wingers are sooooo bad.

Dude. They were playing Donato with JFK and Backes on the 3rd line. It was bad. Very very bad. They gave Donato every shot but he wasn't ready. They needed someone who could play #3C on that line to make it not bad. Donato was the cost. Win win.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA

Exactly what we needed. Bruins just need someone to make the 3rd line not very bad. They can put Coyle out there with some defensive wingers and not have to worry. Maybe once Pasta is healthy and another top 9 guy gets added to the line they can be more than "not very bad". But its a huge improvement.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Well I'm more basing it off of 500+ games of watching Coyle. If it was a contest of who will hold the puck in the offensive zone better it's Coyle without a doubt. If it's a question of who can generate offense better it's the guy who tries to generate offense every shift instead of the guy who is more concerned with holding the puck instead of scoring.

Okay but someone “trying” to generate offence really means nothing if they actually aren’t doing it, like Donato was when he was on a 20pt pace and Coyle with his apparent np offense was still pacing for 40

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad