Confirmed Trade: [MIN/BOS] Minnesota trades Charlie Coyle to Boston for Ryan Donato + 2019 5th Rd Pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Coyle isn't a 20 goal guy. Certainly not if you got him playing center with 3rd line minutes
This. Put him on the wing as the 3rd wheel with 2 good players and he can get 20. But not as 3rd line C. But still, a good solid deal for both teams.

Reactions: 2Pair

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Donato isn’t coyle but he also isn’t the type that has to be scoring or is useless.
Well he has to be creating scoring chances, because everything else in his game is not really NHL ready. He's in the league because of his shooting.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
This. Put him on the wing as the 3rd wheel with 2 good players and he can get 20. But not as 3rd line C. But still, a good solid deal for both teams.

If by "he can" you mean in theory, then yes. He's gotten 20 goals once in his career. So he is capable. But if you think putting him with DeBrusk and Krejci means he is more likely to get 20 than not, you're still probably going to be disappointed.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
If by "he can" you mean in theory, then yes. He's gotten 20 goals once in his career. So he is capable. But if you think putting him with DeBrusk and Krejci means he is more likely to get 20 than not, you're still probably going to be disappointed.
Oh I think he "can" and possibly will hit 20 again. I don't think he'll do it consistently, as I don't think Coyle does ANYTHING consistently.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
If Coyle tries to DIY a toaster repair or something and accidentally electrocutes himself into shooting more I could see him potting 20. He's got the tools for it, but there's some weird mental hurdle there.

Reactions: SomeoneGreat

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
I think if you let Coyle play an entire season at wing, with consistant linemates as good as Krejci and Debrusk? He would be likely to hit 20 goals and 50 points.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I think if you let Coyle play an entire season at wing, with consistant linemates as good as Krejci and Debrusk? He would be likely to hit 20 goals and 50 points.

I think he could do it, sure. I hesitate to say it's likely. I think what would be more likely is 15-18 goals and 35-40 assists.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
I still see donato disappearing and wild fans want him out of there kinda of a spooner effect. Coyle is what you get a 20 goal guy who can anchor 3c very well and can jump to 2nd line easily.
Donato showed up tonight in OT. GWG. 4 points in 3 games.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005

That's great. I really hope he does well for you guys. He definitely has the skill-set that he can be a really impactful player, especially if he gets a bit stronger and takes slightly better angles when he doesn't have the puck. Could be a long-term 2nd line winger. I won't be disappointed either.

I think this was a good trade for both teams. Bruins simply needed someone to handle that third line pivot and if you're going to get one, you're going to be giving up a good kid.

Bruins had about 6 to 8 young forwards - and you're guess would be as good as mine on which will pan-out and which won't as they all seem to be in the B+ category.
But you've got to roll the dice every once in awhile. Donato was in the same group as Heinen, Cehlarik, Bjork, Frederic, JFK, Studnicka and possibly Senyshyn - and I'm probably missing a couple.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
If Coyle tries to DIY a toaster repair or something and accidentally electrocutes himself into shooting more I could see him potting 20. He's got the tools for it, but there's some weird mental hurdle there.
You're totally mixing up Coyle with Rask. And knowing him he'd turn into an awesome place kicker rather than a hockey player.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Wow, you're right Boston is so unique. There's definitely not another team in the league that would welcome their new players.

This has to top even McDavid's leadership skills when he told the bench to "Let's go!"

I can't tell if this is sarcasm or not, but the small things helps keep a winning culture. IIRC Karlsson and E. Kane both had something similar when they joined the Sharks as well. When a player joins a team, usually they'll talk about the team, the players, etc. These types of quotes talk about the people.

BostonBruins11

Dec 4, 2010
Moncton, N.B.
i always felt like whoever the Bruins were gonna trade (Donato, Bjork, Heinen)they would go on to have a great career. I just hope they didn't make wrong choice :(.
i wouldn't be surprised to see Donato have a few 30+ goal seasons in the future

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006

Donato is a skilled player, and can have a big impact when motivated. He scored 2-1-3 for us in his NHL debut. But when he is not scoring, he does little to help the team. Reminds me a lot of Harvard teammate Jimmy Vesey. We saw months at a time of ineffective play, and I saw him live in the AHL just over a week ago and he was completely flat. Could just be part of the learning process, and getting used to a full professional season. Hope to see him do well.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
How did Coyle look in his first game? I see zero points, did he have any good chances? Who are his linemates?

Set up Backes for empty net, 3rd line looked to be alive with him, which has been a killer for contending dreams prior to him.
Right now with Pasta injury and no #2Rw added he's playing with 20 point linemates.

Just purely thinking Bruins side it's a massive win if Coyle can fix that 3rd line. Donato was well behind the Lw rankings in Boston and #3C was a major issue(again).

Reactions: Digitalbooya

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
How did Coyle look in his first game? I see zero points, did he have any good chances? Who are his linemates?

He protected the puck well, was good along the boards. Turned a line of Cehlarik-Coyle-Backes into the most dangerous line of the game. It was the first time this season we had a third line that looked dangerous throughout the game.

Coyle scored for us in the ShootOut, put up a pretty goal:

BBB24

Aug 12, 2010
Saskatchewan
Points since the trade

Donato: 7
Coyle: 0
Standings

Bruins third overall in the league
Wild fighting for their playoff lives.

Do this trade everyday of the week, like Cassidy said, Donato is a better fit with the wild than Bruins, he was not about to take Marchand’s spot on the half wall on the PP or dislodge Marchand or DeBrusk on LW on line one or two. Hope he does well in Minny but the Bruins needed Coyle far more at Center than they needed Donato at LW on the third line.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Trades don't always have to be a zero sum game, and this one was a "win - win" for both organizations. The Bruins get that big 3C they need to help them in their playoff run and the Wild fill a need by bringing in a younger player with more of a scoring touch that needs a top 6 opportunity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad