Confirmed Trade: [MIN/BOS] Minnesota trades Charlie Coyle to Boston for Ryan Donato + 2019 5th Rd Pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

TooMuchMan

Sep 29, 2010
Deep Space Nine
Really see this trade as something akin to the Peverley/Wheeler deal during the spring of 2011. In both cases the Bruins gave up some significant upside (and definitely lose the trade in the long run) for a stabilizing piece they certainly needed. Donato will likely make Bruins' fans weep in the future (not-too-distant, from the looks of it) but Coyle stabilizes the 3rd line into something more dangerous for the opposition and more momentum-driving for the Boston club. More than a few times already Coyle's play specifically has been the catalyst for extended time on attack or penalties drawn. That might not equate to points in his column, but it's easy to see that line is a much more potent weapon than it was two weeks ago.

Donato's great for Minny. Really glad the kid took off running after the B's punted on his fit and upside. The Coyle trade still makes sense for a team with its eyes on the postseason this year.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
I would put him on the 3rd line, where apparently the wingers are so bad that they're killing Coyle's career. You don't get to say that you had too many wingers to find room for Donato to play, and then turn around and say that Coyle isn't scoring because your wingers are sooooo bad.

They tried that... your argument doesn't make sense.

It says more that Donato was not ready than anything.... he will be one day.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
They tried that... your argument doesn't make sense.

It says more that Donato was not ready than anything.... he will be one day.
Say what now? If the wingers that are currently playing with Coyle, are much better than Donato, then there's no way that thay can be the reason that Coyle isn't scoring. Pretty simple really

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Say what now? If the wingers that are currently playing with Coyle, are much better than Donato, then there's no way that thay can be the reason that Coyle isn't scoring. Pretty simple really

They're better overall players, not offensive players. Theres a reason Donato couldn't stay in the lineup consistently, why do you think that is? Or are you saying Minny is somehow a smarter team than the Bruins?

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
They're better overall players, not offensive players. Theres a reason Donato couldn't stay in the lineup consistently, why do you think that is? Or are you saying Minny is somehow a smarter team than the Bruins?
No they aren't.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
You seem to care a lot about this trade, any particular reason why? Seems like both fanbases are pretty happy with it.
I'm just getting a kick out of the mental gymnastics. Truth be told, I'm a Wild fan who feels like the Bruins got the better of this trade. But, I'm not running around telling everyone how terrible Coyle is, or how smart Fenton is just because Donato has outplayed Coyle for 2 weeks.

The reality is that Boston traded a good player to get a good player from Minnesota. To this point, Donato is out performing Coyle. Making excuses to justify those facts are almost as silly as declaring a "winner" of this trade after 2 weeks.

Eddie Munson

This year is my year. I can feel it. ‘86 baby!
Jul 11, 2008

You’re conveniently forgetting David Pastrnak is out and the winger that beat Donato out for a spot is currently playing on the top line until Pasta returns.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
You’re conveniently forgetting David Pastrnak is out and the winger that beat Donato out for a spot is currently playing on the top line until Pasta returns.
And you added another winger at the deadline and are still complaing about both of your 3rd line wings.

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
Bruins needed a big solid 2-way centerman who can score 15g 25a a year while playing some shutdown hockey. While he hasn’t scored yet, Coyle is playing well. With the way the current 1st and 2nd lines are playing, I’d try Pastrnak on Coyles RW when he returns.

Glad Donato is doing well. Hated to lose him. He knows how to score, you can’t teach that.

Tim Vezina Thomas

Jun 4, 2009
I'm just getting a kick out of the mental gymnastics. Truth be told, I'm a Wild fan who feels like the Bruins got the better of this trade. But, I'm not running around telling everyone how terrible Coyle is, or how smart Fenton is just because Donato has outplayed Coyle for 2 weeks.

The reality is that Boston traded a good player to get a good player from Minnesota. To this point, Donato is out performing Coyle. Making excuses to justify those facts are almost as silly as declaring a "winner" of this trade after 2 weeks.

Seems like the general feeling in this thread is Donato was having a terrible year but everyone knew what his potential was and hated losing him. Are you just bored?

Tim Vezina Thomas

Jun 4, 2009
Can’t we all just agree it was a good trade for both clubs? Good for Boston now. Good for Minny in the future?

Oh that and Minnesota has some Christmas tree looking uniforms. Festive those things.

I feel like 99% of the people in this thread agree with you.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
And you added another winger at the deadline and are still complaing about both of your 3rd line wings.

Until their best offensive player comes back from injury, and then they wont be complaining about those wingers anymore. That seems so simple to understand?

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
I'm just curious then why was he a frequent healthy scratch, on pace for 20pts as a pure offensive player and spent time in the AHL?

Riddle me that.
They're coach is a moron? I eally don't care why. All I know is that Ryan Donato is absolutely an NHL caliber top 9 winger right now at this moment. If Boston is currently playing with terrible 3rd line wingers, like they say they are, then they certainly had room for Donato.

I'm not saying that trading Donato for Coyle wasn't a great idea for Boston.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Until their best offensive player comes back from injury, and then they wont be complaining about those wingers anymore. That seems so simple to understand?
Agreed. But then just say you traded a good winger for a good center because you needed a center. Stop pretending that you're team is too good for Donato to play on.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
it was a good trade for everyone so far. LOL i mean I'd take Nino back in a heartbeat because Rask has been garbage or injured so far but I wouldn't expect Nino to put up the numbers here he has in Carolina. Meanwhile Coyle has been playing his role well from all accounts in BOS and they got him for a guy who didn't have a role there so how is that NOT a win for them. Donato's been producing with us so its a solid gain for us obviously. I like it. Makes me want to cheer for BOS in the east. Coyles a great guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->