Confirmed Trade: [MIN/BOS] Minnesota trades Charlie Coyle to Boston for Ryan Donato + 2019 5th Rd Pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

ref19

Oct 3, 2017
A 3rd liner that produces ES offence at a borderline 1st line level.
He was on a line with Granlund or Staal a lot. Pretty sure he won't be playing with Pasta. Anything called Krejci, DeBrusk, Heinen is not a help.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
A 3rd liner that produces ES offence at a borderline 1st line level.

How does he produce ES offense at a borderline 1st line level?

EDIT: Just checked, over the past 3 seasons combined he ranks in the high 70s in ES points and ES points/60. But if you make it just the past two seasons, he is 137th in even strength points and 113th in ES points/60. And just this season, he is 146th in even strength points and 182nd in ES points/60.

So, basically, he did produce ES offense at a bonafide 1st line level in 2016-2017, has declined in two straight seasons, and hasn't come close to that level since then. But his numbers in 2016-2017 were so strong that they drive his aggregate numbers over the past 3 years up to borderline 1st line level.

I don't think you can call him a player that produces ES offense at a borderline 1st line level. I think you can call him a middle-6 player that has historically produced and does produce like a middle-6 player outside of one outlier season.

Last edited:

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
He was on a line with Granlund or Staal a lot. Pretty sure he won't be playing with Pasta. Anything called Krejci, DeBrusk, Heinen is not a help.

You think playing with Krejci and Debrusk is not a step up for Coyle? It appears you have a narrative laid out and must make it work ignoring any evidence on the contrary.

bearcountry17

Jun 4, 2012
South Shore, MA

Krejci and Stall have nearly identical ES PPG over the last 4 seasons. Both are slightly(.o4) more productive at ES than Granlund. Either way the Bruins could badly use even a 35-40 point version of Coyle with their lack of scoring depth this year and his versatility to play both RW and C. I don't think he's going to be the B's big prize of the deadline so if they can grab one more impact forward then all of a sudden your asking Coyle to be your 7th-8th most important forward and I don't think that's beyond Coyle.

bearcountry17

Jun 4, 2012
South Shore, MA
How does he produce ES offense at a borderline 1st line level?

EDIT: Just checked, over the past 3 seasons combined he ranks in the high 70s in ES points and ES points/60. But if you make it just the past two seasons, he is 137th in even strength points and 113th in ES points/60. And just this season, he is 146th in even strength points and 182nd in ES points/60.

So, basically, he did produce ES offense at a bonafide 1st line level in 2016-2017, has declined in two straight seasons, and hasn't come close to that level since then. But his numbers in 2016-2017 were so strong that they drive his aggregate numbers over the past 3 years up to borderline 1st line level.

I don't think you can call him a player that produces ES offense at a borderline 1st line level. I think you can call him a middle-6 player that has historically produced and does produce like a middle-6 player outside of one outlier season.

I was using the past 4 years which i brought up in an earlier post, sorry if i wasn't clear. He did put up 33 ES points in 66 games last year and .5 ESPPG is usually pretty dang close to 1st line production.

Nsjohnson

Hockey.
Jun 22, 2012
Miami
While I don't have a neutral voice on the matter, being a Minnesota guy and all, I never hated Coyle and I never really liked Coyle. I don't feel any emotions for this trade.

With that said, I feel like Coyle will play decent in Boston. Unlike Nino, I don't feel Coyle will suddenly score 5 goals in his next 8 games, but if he DID, it would be like Coyle- then he would score 1 goal in the next 20. That's him, that's all he will be. He may tick back up to the 50 point production- maybe if he sees some PP time. But what he will bring is a good skater out there with a body who can control some play along the boards. He isn't a big hitter, especially so after having surgery on both of them. He doesn't play soft, but he also isn't assertive 4/5 games. He is the definition of a 2-3rd liner who won't screw up on you. He's got soft hands but he lacks finish big time.

Donato, well we'll cross our fingers. The very least, we get a guy whom, if he gains strength and some skating work, can probably be a 2-3rd liner who can take some one timers on the PP. In present time, even though he is going to play tomorrow, he will help the Wild (god I hate saying this) fall down the standings and get a MUCH MUCH needed pick in the top 10. We haven't had one since 2012's draft- seven years ago. Before that it was Granlund as 9, Brodin at 10, then Dumba at 7, in consecutive years. We need that talent, we need a center.

Anyways, I think both clubs got what they wanted. Coyle will help immediately. Donato has big potential, but is unproven.

13Hockey

Go Bruins
Jul 20, 2006
Boston
Bruins depth chart pre trade

LW:
Marchand
DeBrusk
Heinen
Cehlarik
Kuraly
Nordstrom
Bjork
Donato

Center:
Bergeron
Krejci
Acciari
Frederic
JFK

RW:
Pastrnak
Backes
Kuhlman
Wagner

Bruins desperately need help at Center and RW they are over loaded with LW talent

And we got a quality veteran nhler than can play C or RW..really helps the bruins now and in future

13Hockey

Go Bruins
Jul 20, 2006
Boston
Dude.... you just got a top prospect for a third liner that's Anne Frank in the offensive end... settle down.

In no particular order prospects ahead of Donato

Cehlarik
JFK
Bjork
Lauzon
Frederic
Vaakanainen
Studincka
Lauko

Donato was in the range of 6-10 for Bruins best prospect

And that’s not really a good thing considering the bruins have a pretty weak prospect system currently

WJCJ

Sep 27, 2017
I'd say it's lateral, if anything I'd lean a slight step down

I'm going to have to say that especially this year, Krejci is definitely an upgrade on Staal and after a slow start and dealing with an injury, DeBrusk is on fire right now. If he does indeed play with those guys it won't be a step down.

WJCJ

Sep 27, 2017
In no particular order prospects ahead of Donato

Cehlarik
JFK
Bjork
Lauzon
Frederic
Vaakanainen
Studincka
Lauko

Donato was in the range of 6-10 for Bruins best prospect

And that’s not really a good thing considering the bruins have a pretty weak prospect system currently

I wouldn't call it weak, it is just that outside of Vaakanainen none of those guys are going to be top line/top pairing guys. Weak to me would indicate a team with few legit NHL caliber prospects. While Donato was behind a lot of those guys, he has an offensive upside that is higher than those guys. He's a higher risk/higher reward type of player.

13Hockey

Go Bruins
Jul 20, 2006
Boston

Looks like he will be 3C and 2nd PP to start

Until Pasta is back I’m guessing we’ll role with something like

Marchand Bergeron Heinen
DeBrusk Krejci Kuhlman
Nordstrom Coyle Cehlarik
Kuraly Acciari Wagner
Backes

WJCJ

Sep 27, 2017

Looks like he will be 3C and 2nd PP to start

Until Pasta is back I’m guessing we’ll role with something like

Marchand Bergeron Heinen
DeBrusk Krejci Kuhlman
Nordstrom Coyle Cehlarik
Kuraly Acciari Wagner
Backes

I think Cehlarik was returned to Providence if I'm not mistaken.

13Hockey

Go Bruins
Jul 20, 2006
Boston
I think Cehlarik was returned to Providence if I'm not mistaken.

Paper transaction to complete the deal he will be called up for Saturday’s game against STL if healthy enough...or if not they will call him up after the trade deadline when there is no roster limits...but he’s not reporting to Providence

With Cassidy announcing Coyle will be our 3C...Frederic is gonna be the guy to go

WJCJ

Sep 27, 2017
Paper transaction to complete the deal he will be called up for Saturday’s game against STL if healthy enough...or if not they will call him up after the trade deadline when there is no roster limits...but he’s not reporting to Providence

Good, I thought he has played pretty well and I want to see him get some more time.

13Hockey

Go Bruins
Jul 20, 2006
Boston
Good, I thought he has played pretty well and I want to see him get some more time.

Agreed he hasn’t put up points consistently but he always does a few things every game that make him stand out

Having him in our top 9 has been a huge addition and has helped make things more stable and now with Coyle in the fold

We have 7 quality...Top 9 or better guys...with Cehlarik well on his way to making it 8 with his play the last few weeks...just need one more winger and we should be roiling

Marchand
Bergeron
Pasta
Krejci
DeBrusk
Coyle
Heinen
Cehlarik

Raildab

Feb 21, 2019
This is nothing else than win-win trade. Coyle is the perfect piece for Bruins right now and Donato will be a great forward for Wild's top 6 for many years.

I don't understand how u could see this any other way.

Last edited:
Reactions: shello

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
Hometown boy coming home. Gotta be a thrill for the guy.

And it's gotta suck for the other hometown boy getting traded.

UVMCats

Feb 16, 2019
Knowing Coyle very well having watched him play at BU. If Boston fans are expecting the big guy to go around using his size. You will all be very disappointed. He will score you some timely goals though.

Reactions: MichaelFarrell
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad