Friedman: Miller extension unlikely with Canucks, timeline doesnt fit, and trade offers are going to be too good to pass up

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
Lol. He’d be Vancouver’s best forward, and save it I live out west, here in Vancouver in fact and watch plenty of Canuck games

Then why do Leaf fans keep trying to trade him to Vancouver? Canucks aren't interested in kicking this problem down the road two years.

Reactions: Cogburn

dbaz

Jan 29, 2010
I'm not sure what Vancouver wants, but I'd be fine with trading:

Necas
1st round pick in either 2023 or 2024
(ideally, it'd be a 2023 2nd round pick so we have another big trade asset and plus we don't have a 1st this year, but I doubt a 2nd round would be enough)
Drury or Suzuki
If that was on the table the Canucks would have already done it. I guess we will see how Carolina approaches the offseason soon

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
The whole point is that he can be extended.
The whole point is that the Canes haven’t shown any inkling of ever giving a player going on 30 a max term deal. If they gave up that ridiculous amount for Miller and re-signed him at the likely $8M+ by 7-8yrs, they’d end up severely hampering their ability to keep younger, core players needing new contracts in 2 years-Aho, Teravainen, Jarvis, Pesce, etc.

Miller to CAR makes no sense at the cost of young cost controlled assets as he’d essentially be a rental.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Chabot missed 23 games
Batherson missed 36
Norris missed 16
C.Brown missed 18
Pinto (who was supposed to be our 2C) missed 77

A healthier team that adds a 2nd line winger, and a top 4 defenceman... I'd bet the Sens make it.
LA made it this year after having a worse point% the year before, compared to Ottawa this year.

It’s not going to be easy with Tampa, Florida, Toronto& Boston in the division.

Not to mention rebuilding teams like Detroit& Buffalo trying to take the next step

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
Miller to the Sens makes sense. He will greatly accelerate the development of your young core. Likely will age well, but if his cost is flipping him as a negative asset in 5 years, its likely well worth it.

I wouldn’t say so. I’d spend the assets on a younger player that can be apart of the core.

Sens aren’t contenders, doesn’t make sense to spend the assets on Miller now.

Patdud

Mar 23, 2022
New Hampshire
I like Carlo, and I have nothing against DeBrusk, but he isn't a priority as part of a return for Miller.

My post a little ways up had Carlo and two other, future oriented pieces (I had used Lysell and Boston's 2023 first) for Miller at half retained. This has not been received well from most Boston fans. Debrusk could be one of those piece in a pinch, but I would be less enthusiastic about it than other offers, personally. We have plenty of wingers that can bounce between our first and second and third line like (in no order) Boeser, Pettersson, Garland, Pearson, Podkolzin and Hoglander. Klimovich is a dark horse to make the big club too, and guys like Petan and Chiasson could return as well. Debrusk outclasses some of these guys, but not all of them.

Myers is worth something to us. Even with Carlo, Myers is player we need and can make use of, as our RHD depth behind him is Schenn, Poolman and then prospects, specifically Woo who isn't ready from what I've seen on our farm team. I'd argue for a second round pick, or Beecher, being included for Myers.

Carlo, Debrusk, Boston's 2023 1st and either Boston's 2022 2nd or Beecher for Miller at half retained and Myers would be my counter.
If including the 2023 1st Id want to swap in Horvat for Miller since he is like the perfect Bergeron replacement (well not Perfect since you dont replace Bergeron but you get the idea). Boston doesn't have the 2023 2nd, gone in the Lindholm trade.

Carlo, Beecher, 2024 2nd for Myers (no money down ;) and Miller (50%), 2023 3rd? Thats a win win for both sides IMO.

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
Miller to the Sens makes sense. He will greatly accelerate the development of your young core. Likely will age well, but if his cost is flipping him as a negative asset in 5 years, its likely well worth it.
I'm not sure I agree. Sense have set themselves up with some good long term planning in their contract structure. Adding Miller would be a huge boost, but would it be similar to the Tavares signing? As in, signing an older UFA to an inflated UFA deal before the team is truly ready, and being weighed down by their inefficient cap hit? It's definitely a much worse sell if you are saying they should trade good young assets for him.

Seems like the teams that make the most sense to trade for him are a different group than the teams that may want to re sign him.

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
If including the 2023 1st Id want to swap in Horvat for Miller since he is like the perfect Bergeron replacement (well not Perfect since you dont replace Bergeron but you get the idea). Boston doesn't have the 2023 2nd, gone in the Lindholm trade.

Carlo, Beecher, 2024 2nd for Myers (no money down ;) and Miller (50%), 2023 3rd? Thats a win win for both sides IMO.

Why on earth would Boston do this.

Now in 2023, you have Miller making 8-9m and you have to stomach another year of Myers at 6m. Brutal. I could see them taking a run at Miller if he hits UFA, though.

kvladimir

Dec 1, 2010
Canes fan here. I think we have a higher chance this off season since Trocheck's contract is expiring, and JT Miller would be one of the best, if not, the best replacement available through trade or free agency. Both players are only 1 year apart with Miller being older, Miller is much bigger (which our team needs), and on average he takes less penalties than Trocheck (who is one of our most common penalty offenders). So, there are multiple things besides just the point production, particularly with last season, that make Miller an appealing replacement for Trocheck.

I'm not sure what Vancouver wants, but I'd be fine with trading:

Necas
1st round pick in either 2023 or 2024
(ideally, it'd be a 2023 2nd round pick so we have another big trade asset and plus we don't have a 1st this year, but I doubt a 2nd round would be enough)
Drury or Suzuki

If that wouldn't be enough, I'd consider replacing one of the assets with something Vancouver has a higher desire for like a defenseman
Earlier I proposed Necas + Morrow + lotto-protected 2023 1st for an extended Miller. I realize the Canes have a lot of vital contract extensions coming in 2-3 years, however, they have a solid set of young players as well (Jarvis, Suzuki, Drury, Bokk, Kotchekov, etc). If you hang on to most of the young players in this scenario, you have cap flexibility even with Miller's deal and those extensions coming for probably 5-6 years (if you bridge the players coming off of ELCs).

Miller would be a significant upgrade, and can play as your 2C or on LW also, so you won't necessarily be hurting too bad if you lose Trocheck. I also think it's worth thinking about the value behind simply having this window of 2-3 seasons in which you have Miller added to the group AND still have other core players on ridiculous steals of a contract (Aho, Slavin, TT, Pesce). A Miller acquisition could put the Canes over the top. If that's not characteristic of the organization, perhaps it should be?

Worth discussing, at least. :thumbu:

Reactions: Sigurd

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site

That’s actually awful for Vancouver. Myers won’t be a cap dump, at the very worst Vancouver will be able to give him away should they choose to. In this proposal you’re essentially equating Miller at 50% to Carlo and Beecher. Vancouver easily passes.

Reactions: sting101

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Miller for Necas makes some sense as the basis

Brind Amour was a pivotal piece in Carolina's cup win at 35 and came over at 29 ironically

Sort of your modern day Brind Amour for Primeau trade i suppose if Necas can get his shit together.

Wandering Cynic

Dec 2, 2011
Parts Unknown
Still think Miller ends up on Columbus. They have tons of picks, prospects, and young players to get a deal done.

Miller is also from Ohio and fills a need on the Blue Jackets.

Reactions: Dudekun

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver

if thats ur opinion then maybe you should keep your opinion to yourself.

1. This is one of the most lopsided Ls I've seen proposed for the Canucks, nowhere close to a win win that you suggest it is. I've seen better offers from LA fans that say they dont even want Miller.

2. Canucks are happy to hold onto Myers if other teams think hes a negative asset. We may even hold onto him even if theres a positive asset being sent back. What RHD that can play 18+ minutes is available for 6M or less? We have no reason to "dump" him. If history has shown anything, players like him are commodities in the NHL anyways even if fans think otherwise.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Still think Miller ends up on Columbus. They have tons of picks, prospects, and young players to get a deal done.

Miller is also from Ohio and fills a need on the Blue Jackets.
If Columbus is looking to make moves to compete now, then yes Columbus would make sense given their need for a top line center, Miller’s likely willingness to re-sign there longterm and Columbus’ tradeable assets being of interest to Vancouver.

They have Laine who’s an RFA and I’m guessing they’d like to convince to sign longterm, maybe acquiring a top line center to play alongside him helps get him signed?

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
cool story bro, its the internet
Tell me you can’t handle criticism without telling me you can’t handle criticism.

If you wanna post lopsided proposals go for it but prepared to be told how bad your ideas are.

I’m sure if Canucks fans said we’ll give you Rathbone + Podkolzin + a 2nd for Coyle + Pasta (50% retained) + 3rd as it’s a win win you and other Boston fans would criticize said offer the same way

Patdud

Mar 23, 2022
New Hampshire
Tell me you can’t handle criticism without telling me you can’t handle criticism.

If you wanna post lopsided proposals go for it but prepared to be told how bad your ideas are.

I’m sure if Canucks fans said we’ll give you Rathbone + Podkolzin + a 2nd for Coyle + Pasta (50% retained) + 3rd as it’s a win win you and other Boston fans would criticize said offer the same way
I mean you’re the one trying to argue with someone on the internet

Seventy7

May 16, 2015
Boston would have to cough up Carlo, Lysell, 1st, 2nd to make this work. Not worth it from Bs perspective… whom imo should look to do a mini rebuild.

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
indeed.

is also true for miller to new jersey

Whether the fans are interested in Miller or not, NHL insiders have been reporting NJ's interest in several Vancouver forwards all year, Miller included. There has been no talk over the Canucks wanting a Miller/Nylander swap, fans or management.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Whether the fans are interested in Miller or not, NHL insiders have been reporting NJ's interest in several Vancouver forwards all year, Miller included. There has been no talk over the Canucks wanting a Miller/Nylander swap, fans or management.
for a very long time it was reported by insiders, that the earth is flat and the existence of the solar system was denied.

you can believe whatever you want, if it makes you happy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad