Friedman: Miller extension unlikely with Canucks, timeline doesnt fit, and trade offers are going to be too good to pass up

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
I have no idea if they would or not but it's not unusual for a team in a position like that to target a guy like Miller. Depends on whether or not they consider the rebuilding 'done' or not and if they want to start focusing on their young team winning, Miller would be a solid guy to add to the forward group, and to help things they have no existing bad long term contracts so could easily afford extending him.

...Though I really don't think Ottawa is ready to do that yet, or that this is where where Miller would want to sign his next contract.
ottawa was 27 points out of a po spot. to consider their rebuilding done takes a lot of fantasy.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Depending on what happens with Patrice Bergeron, I could see Boston pushing pretty hard for JT Miller. I'm also assuming that Debrusk still wants out.

Maybe something around:

Miller @50%
Garland
2023 2nd

for
Carlo
DeBrusk
Lysell
2023 1st

The tough thing with these types of trades for Boston is that they’d have zero elc contracts on the roster when

McAvoy
Pasta
Miller
Lindholm

Are on their big money contracts.
Would be really, really difficult to fill out the roster

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
This isn’t great for Vancouver IMO - mainly due to positional needs for the team.

Swapping Garland for DeBrusk is a downgrade and DeBrusk carries a similar cap hit ($4 mill for two more years).

So it’s Miller @ 50% and likely a high/mid 2nd round pick for Carlo, Lysell, and a mid/late 1st. I like Lysell a lot, but Carlo is very slow and poor offensively - he wouldn’t be the upgrade Canucks fans think (closer to a younger Schenn type). A late 1st doesnt make up the value when the Canucks’ biggest need is rebuilding their defence.

Carlo moves extremely well for a big man. It’s like his thing.

Patdud

Mar 23, 2022
New Hampshire
Plot convenience?

I agree with everything you've said here, but I am wary of his concussion history. It's by no means a deal killer, and I don't think it's likely (and trade or not, I hope it's not) that he is any more likely to get another concussion, but it's a nagging concern in the back of my mind whenever we're discussing his acquisition to Vancouver.
Debrusk/Carlo for Myers and Miller at 50%? fill in other players/picks where needed to even out.

Canucks get cost controlled age appropriate RHD who is controlled at a reasonable cap hit, save money on both players, Bruins get a RHD back (dont have a suitable replacement in system for Carlo if traded).

Big issue is does Van want a center prospect or roster player back (we have none to spare) and Bruins lose out on LW now (with March sidelined until December) and RW then (with DeBrusk gone) but can always slide haula over and Hall logically moves up to 1LW.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
Why would Sens target Miller?

Dorion has been public about wanting to add a top 6 winger for Stutzle. The rumors are mostly about Fiala and Giroux, but I don't see why they wouldn't at least entertain Miller.

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
Dorion has been public about wanting to add a top 6 winger for Stutzle. The rumors are mostly about Fiala and Giroux, but I don't see why they wouldn't at least entertain Miller.

Too old for the Sens, probably expensive to acquire and sign. On top of that who knows if he will decline before the Sens are contending.

Reactions: bukwas

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
ottawa was 27 points out of a po spot. to consider their rebuilding done takes a lot of fantasy.
lol

"Armed with a brand-new extension, Ottawa Senators general manager Pierre Dorion made some waves during his celebratory press conference with a bold proclamation.

"The rebuild is done. Now we're stepping into another zone," Dorion said, according to the Ottawa Sun's Bruce Garrioch."

Last edited:

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
Easy no from Canucks

Byrams value is sky rocketing this playoffs. he's damn near untouchable now

I can't believe someone just turned down Bouchard, Holloway a 1st and a minor cap dump for Miller lol. Y'all are nuts. If you get offered Holloway or Bouchard alone as the main piece in a deal, I would say you've made away like bandits. Both + 1st is absurd.

As for Byram - when was his value not already sky high? This kid has always been borderline untouchable. A 30 year old forward looking for a payday with 1 season over 75 points would not even move the needle for Sakic.

Reactions: Moose and Squirrel

Three On Zero

HF Customer Service Representative
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
I can't believe someone just turned down Bouchard, Holloway a 1st and a minor cap dump for Miller lol. Y'all are nuts. If you get offered Holloway or Bouchard alone as the main piece in a deal, I would say you've made away like bandits. Both + 1st is absurd.

As for Byram - when was his value not already sky high? This kid has always been borderline untouchable. A 30 year old forward looking for a payday with 1 season over 75 points would not even move the needle for Sakic.

The Rangers deal was already better than Bouchard and Holloway. I’m also not the first person to say no to it

Bouchard isn’t the type of defenceman the Canucks need, they have enough offensive minded ones already and he isn’t going to surpass Hughes.

Holloway is a magic bean that likely won’t step into a #1/#2 C role right away

Nov 1, 2011

Boeser is your man.

Was the Canucks leading scorer the year before last and is becoming highly undervalued as a scorer.

Sigurd

Slavin, our Lord and Saver (AKA Extra Goalie)
Feb 4, 2018
North Carolina
Would the Canes be a potential suitor after bouncing out again? They’ve proven to be aggressive.

That’s an excellent question. To be honest the list of teams that are going for it AND have the cap space to bring back Miller is smaller than Canucks fans are hoping. So far it’s just been Bruins fans bidding against themselves for a signed Miller as the Colorados and Rangers of the world are just making rental offers.

I see Carolina as a dark horse suitor for Miller. Maybe not Jarvis but Necas could be a decent swap for both sides.

This is much more realistic than the "2nd overall" or "Newhook++" proposals we saw last week. Necas does seem like someone who Carolina could make available for a big upgrade offensively.
Canes fan here. I think we have a higher chance this off season since Trocheck's contract is expiring, and JT Miller would be one of the best, if not, the best replacement available through trade or free agency. Both players are only 1 year apart with Miller being older, Miller is much bigger (which our team needs), and on average he takes less penalties than Trocheck (who is one of our most common penalty offenders). So, there are multiple things besides just the point production, particularly with last season, that make Miller an appealing replacement for Trocheck.

I'm not sure what Vancouver wants, but I'd be fine with trading:

Necas
1st round pick in either 2023 or 2024
(ideally, it'd be a 2023 2nd round pick so we have another big trade asset and plus we don't have a 1st this year, but I doubt a 2nd round would be enough)
Drury or Suzuki

If that wouldn't be enough, I'd consider replacing one of the assets with something Vancouver has a higher desire for like a defenseman (not Pesce and certainly not Slavin though; so probably just Skjei), or maybe our promising goalie prospect with Kochetkov, but he'd probably be the least likely prospect traded at the moment. I'd also prefer to keep Koche for now. I might even add one + to the above trade proposal depending on other moves by Carolina in the off season, and who Vancouver wants.

If we get Miller, Carolina realistically will not break the metaphorical bank to get him in a trade since that's not the team's MO. Also, on a side note, if we do get Miller, a dream case scenario as a Canes fan is we also sign a free agent like Forsberg namely. Our top 6 forwards would have a notable improvement. If not, maybe we go after Chychrun or a similar tier defenseman and replace Skjei with him on the 2nd d line. In either case, that would be amazing IMO.

Finally, there are some factors reducing the likelihood of the trade for Miller with the Canes. Namely, it's important to note that Carolina is unlikely to give up so many pieces in a trade for a UFA with 1 year left since it's so uncharacteristic of them, and especially if they don't think they will resign him. Also, even with Trocheck possibly not resigning with the team, Carolina might (maybe even probably given his extension) feel comfortable slotting Koko/KK as the 2nd line centerman.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010

Chabot missed 23 games
Batherson missed 36
Norris missed 16
C.Brown missed 18
Pinto (who was supposed to be our 2C) missed 77

A healthier team that adds a 2nd line winger, and a top 4 defenceman... I'd bet the Sens make it.
LA made it this year after having a worse point% the year before, compared to Ottawa this year.

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
Canes fan here. I think we have a higher chance this off season since Trocheck's contract is expiring, and JT Miller would be one of the best, if not, the best replacement available through trade or free agency. Both players are only 1 year apart with Miller being older, Miller is much bigger (which our team needs), and on average he takes less penalties than Trocheck (who is one of our most common penalty offenders). So, there are multiple things besides just the point production, particularly with last season, that make Miller an appealing replacement for Trocheck.

Necas
(ideally, it'd be a 2023 2nd round pick so we have another big trade asset and plus we don't have a 1st this year, but I doubt a 2nd round would be enough)
Drury or Suzuki

If that wouldn't be enough, I'd consider replacing one of the assets with something Vancouver has a higher desire for like a defenseman (not Pesce and certainly not Slavin though; so probably just Skjei), or maybe our promising goalie prospect with Kochetkov, but he'd probably be the least likely prospect traded at the moment. I'd also prefer to keep Koche for now. I might even add one + to the above trade proposal depending on other moves by Carolina in the off season, and who Vancouver wants.

If we get Miller, Carolina realistically will not break the metaphorical bank to get him in a trade since that's not the team's MO. Also, on a side note, if we do get Miller, a dream case scenario as a Canes fan is we also sign a free agent like Forsberg namely. Our top 6 forwards would have a notable improvement. If not, maybe we go after Chychrun or a similar tier defenseman and replace Skjei with him on the 2nd d line. In either case, that would be amazing IMO.

Finally, there are some factors reducing the likelihood of the trade for Miller with the Canes. Namely, it's important to note that Carolina is unlikely to give up so many pieces in a trade for a UFA with 1 year left since it's so uncharacteristic of them, and especially if they don't think they will resign him. Also, even with Trocheck possibly not resigning with the team, Carolina might (maybe even probably given his extension) feel comfortable slotting Koko/KK as the 2nd line centerman.
As a Nucks fan, I think that a package of Necas, 2023 1st and Drury would be a really solid return. I know some seem to think this trade needs to solve our RD issues, but that can be addressed in other ways. Value wise I think Rutherford would be silly to decline this, unless there was something else better on the table.

As for Miller, a trade to a contending East coast US team I think gives him every reason to re-sign. That's literally exactly what he's looking for.

I also really like watching the Canes, so this is a win-win for me.

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver

I agree that the Canucks no way pass on the offer that fan said no to. Now if you were to take out one and leave the offer intact the rest of the way, its definitely a no. We'd much rather have Lundkvist + Chytil + 1st than a slightly better prospect + probably a later 1st round pick + a 2 year cap dump all the while holding 50% on Miller + losing about a 3rd round pick value on Chytil

Is the difference between Bouchard/Holloway over Lundkvist really worth the loss of 5.5M cap space 1st year + 3M cap space year 2 + Chytil. Take into account 5.5M cap space for 1 year is worth at least a 2nd. 3M is prob worth a 3rd, Lundqvist + 2nd + 2x 3rd round pick vakues or Bouchard/Holloway. I take Lundkvist + easy. Canucks fans like myself and the GM dont even like that Rangers offer.

Necas
Drury or Suzuki

I havent read the whole thread but this is probably the offer to beat

Last edited:

EverTheCynic

May 26, 2022

Necas
Drury or Suzuki

If that’s the package Carolina is willing to give up, you got a good chance at Miller. I’d take that.

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver

The value is there but it doesn’t fit our team needs. Which is also why several Leafs proposals were unpopular with Canuck fans. We need defensive RHD. Other options could be considered for sure but we definitely do not need any more offensive puck-moving defenceman.

Also sign me up for that Canes deal.

Sigurd

Slavin, our Lord and Saver (AKA Extra Goalie)
Feb 4, 2018
North Carolina
I don’t think the Canes would offer anywhere close to Necas + Drury + 1st for one year of Miller. To be frank, that’s absurd.
Before even reading this post, I was going to say that my fellow Canes fans on our board have voiced opposition for the offer I proposed. I did state though that it's very unlikely the Canes make the trade if they think they can't resign Miller, and it'd be uncharacteristic of them to do so (not to mention stupid). That uncertainty is a big negative.

Also, if the rumors are true that he wants to sign an 8 year deal for 8.5 million, the Canes will easily ignore a 29 year old player wanting a juicy contract into their late 30s. Tbh, I wasn't even aware of that rumor before posting my proposal. If he produces similar numbers to his 99 point season this year instead of regressing to what he was before with us next season, I'd personally be quite okay with him getting around 8 million, but no way for 8 years. 3 years or something close to it wouldn't be bad IMO.

Anyway, I think getting Forsberg through free agency would be much safer and overall better for Carolina, but he'll probably resign with Nashville. I doubt we will get a big free agent. So, I think a trade is probably more likely.

*Edit* I wonder what other Canes fans would offer to get JT Miller if he appeals to him.

Last edited:

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Debrusk/Carlo for Myers and Miller at 50%? fill in other players/picks where needed to even out.

Canucks get cost controlled age appropriate RHD who is controlled at a reasonable cap hit, save money on both players, Bruins get a RHD back (dont have a suitable replacement in system for Carlo if traded).

Big issue is does Van want a center prospect or roster player back (we have none to spare) and Bruins lose out on LW now (with March sidelined until December) and RW then (with DeBrusk gone) but can always slide haula over and Hall logically moves up to 1LW.
I like Carlo, and I have nothing against DeBrusk, but he isn't a priority as part of a return for Miller.

My post a little ways up had Carlo and two other, future oriented pieces (I had used Lysell and Boston's 2023 first) for Miller at half retained. This has not been received well from most Boston fans. Debrusk could be one of those piece in a pinch, but I would be less enthusiastic about it than other offers, personally. We have plenty of wingers that can bounce between our first and second and third line like (in no order) Boeser, Pettersson, Garland, Pearson, Podkolzin and Hoglander. Klimovich is a dark horse to make the big club too, and guys like Petan and Chiasson could return as well. Debrusk outclasses some of these guys, but not all of them.

Myers is worth something to us. Even with Carlo, Myers is player we need and can make use of, as our RHD depth behind him is Schenn, Poolman and then prospects, specifically Woo who isn't ready from what I've seen on our farm team. I'd argue for a second round pick, or Beecher, being included for Myers.

Carlo, Debrusk, Boston's 2023 1st and either Boston's 2022 2nd or Beecher for Miller at half retained and Myers would be my counter.

Fulham

Jan 6, 2015
Miller to the Sens makes sense. He will greatly accelerate the development of your young core. Likely will age well, but if his cost is flipping him as a negative asset in 5 years, its likely well worth it.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00