Confirmed with Link: Milbury Steps Down For Remainder of Playoffs

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
funny, I think what you just said is spot-on, but probably not for the reasons you intended.

Guys like Milbury get "canceled" because they're jerks who don't respect others. I'm honestly surprised it took this long for him to say something that got him taken off air.

No. Anyone with an unpopular opinion or comment gets canceled. He’s there because he’s “edgy” or whatever then gets reprimanded for being just that. Everything is fine but until some person or some group gets offended and causes a Twitter disturbance. Cancel culture is reactive and and lame. Freedom of speech is only ok when people want to hear wants being said.

The world is a rough place, sorry not everyone is going to be PC and spare your feelings. (Not you, the general public)

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
I'm not sure that framing the comment as "no, he actually meant to insult the players!" makes the comments that much more defensible. He's there to do a job as an analyst & ambassador of the sport. The guys currently playing are doing so while sacrificing time away from their families during a pandemic. I'm not sure they need a guy on the TV broadcasts implying that it's better for them because they don't have all that ass to distract them. These guys are seasoned pros, even at a young age and they're playing in the most difficult circumstances of their career. So even as a shot at the male players it's still a pretty tone-deaf comment.

The thing is, though, words are complicated and it's possible for someone's remarks to be offensive to multiple groups. It's possible to imply that women only serve to distract men while also implying that the men lack the discipline to focus on the task at hand. The comment was stupid from just about any angle.

as for you trying to use my comments against me (the opposite of genuinely considering them or taking them to heart)...
I'm a white male in America. I'm almost 40. Your profile says you're a retired male. As a hardcore hockey fan I'd say it's a pretty fair assumption you're also white (apologies me if I'm wrong). As white guys who are middle aged or older, we've spent decades having our viewpoint be the defacto lens through which Western culture is seen. On TV, in movies, in sports (less so in music). In my early 20s I just kind of assumed everyone had the same experiences as me. As I've gotten older and the internet has shown me how many vastly different perspectives there are in the world I've learned to not just assume that my perspective is how others see the world. I've had to learn to constantly consider how others might view things, including the things people say. So yeah, I'm trying to encourage people to understand where others are coming from, because guys like you and I have had that luxury our whole lives.

First of all, Milbury's comment was not commentary, it was a joke. Lets not advocate for dropping joking. Especially when it is so inoffensive as this one.

The reason I used your comments verbatim is something I've been doing for a long time on the boards. When I would not use the exact words of the poster I would get misinterpreted, usually by design, from posters who simple wanted to win their point with semantics. So I use the exact words in response. You are the first to actually misinterpret my reasoning for that.

As for the Western Culture lens we see through, I guess it might depend a whole lot on what one watches on TV, what movies we see, what music we listen to, how we view sports, what our life experiences have been.

Honestly, I'm kind of offended that you have pigeon-holed me simply because I am an elderly white male. Perhaps you have learned too much from the internet. But I really can't say for sure.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
And another thing- this displays NBC not at its best but at its hypocritical (to say the least) worst- this is the network who allowed Matt Lauer to literally abuse women for years and who undoubtedly would have continued to allow him to do so if it hadn't come out because his "Today" show ratings were such a cash cow for them. Yet now they immediately throw Mike Milbury out (and make no mistake about it, NBC forced him out)for telling a rather unpleasant truth in an awkward way on a show that relatively few watch in comparison.

Way to go NBC. Not.

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
I thought this was such a nothing comment/joke that when I first heard there was backlash I thought it was an Onion article or something. However, I'll also concede that just because I wasn't offended in anyway, and find nothing wrong with the comment, doesn't mean that others aren't actually offended and found it marginalizing. I don't think I'm ready to annoint myself the arbiter of what harmless and what isn't, and private businesses are allowed to react as they see fit.

The National

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2017
Los Angeles
I thought this was such a nothing comment/joke that when I first heard there was backlash I thought it was an Onion article or something. However, I'll also concede that just because I wasn't offended in anyway, and find nothing wrong with the comment, doesn't mean that others aren't actually offended and found it marginalizing. I don't think I'm ready to annoint myself the arbiter of what harmless and what isn't, and private businesses are allowed to react as they see fit.
In my opinion that’s a very healthy way to look at it. Although, also in my opinion, this cancel culture is getting a bit out of hand.

Baddkarma

El Guapo to most...
Feb 27, 2002
Midland TX

Great post.

If the bold portion is true however, we will all soon stop communicating with each other because you never know who could be offended by even the most innocuous statement...

giphy.gif

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
Isn’t some of this on the networks just a touch? Like, if my goal is to grow a certain age group, say the 18-30 crowd, why would I be surprised when a guy in his 60s says things they might not be cool with?

If I put an NWA CD on for a nice Sunday drive, I don’t act shocked at what I’m hearing. I knew what I was getting in to.

I don’t know exactly but to me, if you’re trotting out certain people to be your public face, you are by extension supporting the things that come out of their mouths. You can’t after the fact say you don’t like that. You do, or you wouldn’t have stuck them out there in the first place.

bruins repeat time

Apr 13, 2012
burlington ont canad
I posted the other day I thought this was like one of the worst of all time cancel culture has swallowed up . I see the majority think it was pretty ridiculous.

With that said I am sure NBC lines lit up with people complaining. I really can't imagine who can really be offended by that coment but man if they aren't hypocrits they must be unbelievable in every thing they say .

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
Cancel Roenick and Milbury and you end up with Anson Carter (as an example). Carter seems like a good guy but he never says anything of consequence. You can clearly tell he doesn't want to criticize anyone or anything. Not what I am looking for in an analyst. But maybe that's where we are headed.

Reactions: sarge88 and taz24

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad