Confirmed with Link: Milbury Steps Down For Remainder of Playoffs

TheReal13Linseman

Now accepting BitCoin
Oct 26, 2005
Nation's Capital
I can’t believe a guy who once assaulted a person with his own shoe said something stupid on the air...

Just. Can’t. Believe. It.
Milbury had his flaws as a player; has also had them as color commentator, but he’ll always get my props for this. That fan got 4 or 5 good pops to the back of O’Reilly’s head before McNab and Mike took him down. Priceless.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Swing and miss to let him go for this. Soft world we live in. Cancel culture strikes again!

Millbury sucks though. Not sad at the thought I don't have to listen to his nonsense for the rest of the playoffs.

The funny thing about cancel culture is only one type of person is ever affected and Milbury fits.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
Feel like they were just looking for a reason to get rid of him at this point...

What he said was tame... and as others pointed out, the joke was more at the expense of the players than against women... but I guess, it's not my call.

Kalus

Sep 27, 2003
Florida
Imagine being Fleury telling his agent he is frustrated with the situation and his agent is like “Don’t worry, I’ll take care of it dude, I know exactly what to do”

And then posts that shit. Remarkable.

He's Halak's agent. I hope Jaro plays well and doesn't end up with one of these if Vladar has to take over.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Clear overreaction...probably should have not said it but its dumb he's sent home for it. His point had nothing to do about women but more about anyone in general entering the bubble.

That said he's a brutal analyst.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
He remarked earlier that the game atmosphere in the bubble was similar to women's hockey and frankly he is not wrong. The statement enraged people involved in women's hockey but the reality is there is no commercial market for the game. Sadly people get excited during the Olympics and that's it.

Women's pro soccer has the same issue outside of the Olympics and World Cup.

Now it was a poor choice of words but it should not have caused the Twitterverse to explode.

Last edited:

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I can’t believe a guy who once assaulted a person with his own shoe said something stupid on the air...

Just. Can’t. Believe. It.

.....42 freaking years ago. I'm so sick of hearing about this as some kind of motivation for his current behavior. He made a harmless observation/joke and is being put in timeout.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017

This Katie woman didn't ever explain why this is offensive in any way. She just went on a whiny rant about how WOMEN IN SPORTS HAVE IT TOUGH REEEEE while giving zero examples.

This is a non-issue that people with nothing better to do have blown out of proportion

Reactions: minpind and BMC

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
I think what a lot of people could stand to consider is this: If someone says something and you don't see the problem with it but a lot of people are offended by it, then maybe you need to consider the possibility that you don't have the proper perspective on the issue and that the respectful, constructive thing to do is to listen and try to understand where others are coming from. Too many people get mad about "cancel culture" and claim that people are overreacting to things. Maybe it's just that you've never put yourself in a position to try to understand where those people are coming from. It's not always about you and your experiences.

As for Milbury, this probably isn't even the most offensive things he's said, but I can't remember examples offhand. This guy is an ignorant jerk who refuses to change and IMO this is less about this one incident than it is about years of his ignorance catching up with him finally.

He also sucks as a hockey analyst & TV personality so I'm glad I won't have to listen to him again.

Reactions: Gee Wally

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
The funny thing about cancel culture is only one type of person is ever affected and Milbury fits.
funny, I think what you just said is spot-on, but probably not for the reasons you intended.

Guys like Milbury get "canceled" because they're jerks who don't respect others. I'm honestly surprised it took this long for him to say something that got him taken off air.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
I think what a lot of people could stand to consider is this: If someone says something and you don't see the problem with it but a lot of people are offended by it, then maybe you need to consider the possibility that you don't have the proper perspective on the issue and that the respectful, constructive thing to do is to listen and try to understand where others are coming from. Too many people get mad about "cancel culture" and claim that people are overreacting to things. Maybe it's just that you've never put yourself in a position to try to understand where those people are coming from. It's not always about you and your experiences.

As for Milbury, this probably isn't even the most offensive things he's said, but I can't remember examples offhand. This guy is an ignorant jerk who refuses to change and IMO this is less about this one incident than it is about years of his ignorance catching up with him finally.

He also sucks as a hockey analyst & TV personality so I'm glad I won't have to listen to him again.
I hope that my asking of the question is interpreted as being in the camp of attempting to understand rather than a challenge to cancel culture.

I’m talking with my wife about it tonight (she found it offensive - I asked why). We’ve had a good discussion and the understanding I’ve come to is that such a comment can alienate a certain faction of the fan base by making them feel excluded or that they don’t belong.

I still feel as though the reaction was extreme and that Milbury should have been given a chance to clarify his intent, apologize and to state that he would do his best to refrain from such comments in the future.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
I hope that my asking of the question is interpreted as being in the camp of attempting to understand rather than a challenge to cancel culture.

I’m talking with my wife about it tonight (she found it offensive - I asked why). We’ve had a good discussion and the understanding I’ve come to is that such a comment can alienate a certain faction of the fan base by making them feel excluded or that they don’t belong.

I still feel as though the reaction was extreme and that Milbury should have been given a chance to clarify his intent, apologize and to state that he would do his best to refrain from such comments in the future.
yeah my post wasn't directed at you or anyone in particular, just trying to encourage people in general to try empathizing with other points of view before immediately calling something an overreaction or claiming that something isn't offensive just because they aren't offended by it.

I do think if you take this one incident in a vacuum it's not egregious enough to get the guy sent home, but like I said, I think this is years of borderline comments catching up with him. I also think after the Roenick incident they're being more careful about these types of comments in particular.

It's still kinda dumb though because anyone familiar with Milbury at all could have told NBC years ago that it isn't a good idea to continue rolling out the crazy Facebook uncle of hockey analysts.

Baddkarma

El Guapo to most...
Feb 27, 2002
Midland TX
The idea that people need to be protected from Mike Milbury's speech, in whatever capacity, is just silly. There are some out there in the twitter-verse that say stuff like "I am strong, it doesn't hurt me, but it can't be allowed to continue". Those sentiments do not go together.

Milbury for all his faults is an old school hockey guy by today's standards and should have known better than to make any comment on anything other than the plays on the ice. He knows the environment that he worked in. I hate it for us as Americans, this stuff just gets silly.

I hate that moderators of our country's speech now appear to be 25 year olds on a social media platform or two who quite literally to borrow a phrase from my Grandfather "...are too young to know the difference between come here and sick-em'..."

Pretty soon a place like this which is a great deal of fun, but already heavily moderated, will more than likely be managed by the cancel culture folks as well.

Enjoy it while you can, we will all be a Milbury soon enough by the standards of the cancel culture elite...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad