Confirmed with Link: Milbury Steps Down For Remainder of Playoffs

Durnberg

Feb 2, 2007
Pre game, intermissions and so on are so bland already.

Even if Milbury was wrong all the time, it sometimes made for good conversation.

I’m not sure who he offended... I guess to imply that young men have hormones is over the line?

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
The exaggerated importance management sometimes now places on the feelings of the outraged vocal few is increasingly making some jobs like walking through a minefield, not knowing if your next step will trigger a mine. There are plenty of instances in society where outrage is entirely justified. There are many more where professional malcontents fail to use adult thinking, and instead continually find ways to be outraged in order to push an agenda and get their way. Before the internet and social media, these people's audience was limited primarily to the poor souls around them. In recent times, the internet and social media have allowed them to broadcast their feelings to a broader audience, with other like-minded people able to feed off each other's outrage. The sad thing is that many times folks get outraged without even looking into what actually was said or happened. They let their emotions from reading a snippet or two take over, and it snowballs from there, with no vetting or reflection.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
In today's world everyone needs to be careful.

Don cherry a Canadian icon could not be saved.

Nobody has a chance. Not even Milbury.

I'm sure going "five hole" will be the next term removed.

Wont be able to go "upstairs" anymore.

Also why do you PEOPLE assume grandma keeps the peanut butter upstairs. Maybe it's the grandpa who puts the peanut butter top shelf. Maybe grandpa does not identify as a grandpa did you think about.

I used to really like don cherry intermission shows during playoffs. Now i just watch another channel until game comes back on. I think at this point the only hockey coverage i listen to now is tsn 690 radio

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
The idea that people need to be protected from Mike Milbury's speech, in whatever capacity, is just silly. There are some out there in the twitter-verse that say stuff like "I am strong, it doesn't hurt me, but it can't be allowed to continue". Those sentiments do not go together.

Milbury for all his faults is an old school hockey guy by today's standards and should have known better than to make any comment on anything other than the plays on the ice. He knows the environment that he worked in. I hate it for us as Americans, this stuff just gets silly.

I hate that moderators of our country's speech now appear to be 25 year olds on a social media platform or two who quite literally to borrow a phrase from my Grandfather "...are too young to know the difference between come here and sick-em'..."

Pretty soon a place like this which is a great deal of fun, but already heavily moderated, will more than likely be managed by the cancel culture folks as well.

Enjoy it while you can, we will all be a Milbury soon enough by the standards of the cancel culture elite...

Every single day I read/hear something that I dislike at the least or am offended by at the most.

Unless it hits a 95+ on my internal 0-100 “offensive meter”, I rarely give it a second look.

Take this board for instance. I truly hate the fact that the “s” word is now allowed to be posted here.

I’m not a prude and obviously say that word from time to time, but I’ve always taken pride in the fact that this forum was above crass language.

To me, there’s a difference between blurting it out after a bad golf shot and taking the time to type it while in the midst of what is hopefully a cogent point.

I’m not inferring anything about anyone who makes a post with that word in it. I’m just saying I could do without it.

Similarly, as much as Milbury sucks as an announcer, I can’t imagine anyone being so offended by what he said that it would impact their lives in the least.

For me, this is a clear cut example of “I don’t agree with what he said, but I’ll defend his right to say it”.

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
Shoe boy is not known for his tact.

In a broadcasting situation to millions of listeners that will get you sooner or later.

Regardless of what he may say this lack of tact was going to eventually come back to bite him.
It's why most of us cannot do his job. We would eventually slip up and say something in the heat of the moment that would not be taken well.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
I think Milbury's main problem is that he lacks tact. I think much of the dumb stuff he says that pisses people off is due to his inability to clearly explain what he means, so he tends to just throw comments out there like he's your 90 year old grandmother who's got no filter.

If he replaced 'women' with 'families', no one would have batted an eye. I think plenty of people understood his intent, and it's unfortunate that some interpreted it as a suggestion that women in the media serve as a disctraction and that players would be better off if they weren't involved.

The reality with Milbury is that I don't think he's capable of speaking with a filter, and besides not liking him personally, it's why I think he's a bad commentator. He's basically there for hot takes. There are moments where he's capable of providing insight and speaking to the nuances of the game, but there are definitely fewer of them than there used to be.

You really think if he said families instead of women no one would bat an eye?

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
I personally wasnt offended by what he said. (I do believe he sucks as a commentator- full disclosure).

After giving this some thought some comments I see here remind me same comments I remember made on a variety of subjects, people, gender, groups in my lifetime.

Things that would horrify many today , not all because some roots wont die, but most.

In the 60s, 70s, 80s, especially. Changing times . Changing views. New voices.

My point? The times are and always will be changing. ‘Just words’ is something I have heard for more than half a century. Said them myself. No harm intended ever. But took a bit of learning why because I thought nothing of something how that didn’t register with someone else. Or better yet, me.

So it will always be this way. Change.
I dont have to like it. I dont have to agree with it. But as long as Im on this side of the grass I must at least recognize it.

I agree with much of what you said, but I’ve always lived by the credo:

“Consider the source”

I’ve been insulted, mocked, disparaged innumerable times in my life and rarely has it mattered to me because in most cases, I didn’t have any respect for the person doing it.

Reactions: JOKER 192 and BMC

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
I did not find his comment offensive, as I am a hockey fan and have a solid grasp on the locker room culture and Milbury in general.

Barbara from Iowa that doesn’t know a hockey puck from a cow patty and hears that may have a completely different take on it. That is the press/blowback that the NHL and NBC wants to avoid.

It’s also not a great look for a league that is championing equal rights and equality to have one of their premier announcers/analysts making comments that could be seen as marginalizing another minority group.

In today’s society, you simply can’t say things like that. You can’t say things that generalize races, genders, or other groups. In jest or not, read the room and understand what’s going on.

Finally, I understand the comment was meant to be of the “men think with one head, and it’s not the one on their shoulders” variety. The reality is the women in their lives, especially their wives, allow them to play hockey. By giving up their own careers, raising kids - often on their own - and supporting their players’ dreams...they allow it all to happen.

Don’t minimize that contribution with a smart ass, throwaway line intended to get a chuckle and poke fun at a man’s sex drive.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Ya it sucks. I miss grapes on Saturday night.
I do too. I wish there was still a little space for crotchety old men who make mostly insightful comments along with some that result in face-palms. I guess I should at least be grateful for being alive during the time in which I could laugh at All in the Family, The Jeffersons, Richard Pryor, and Mel Brooks without feeling like I was committing a microaggression or sin every time I laughed.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
The idea that people need to be protected from Mike Milbury's speech, in whatever capacity, is just silly. There are some out there in the twitter-verse that say stuff like "I am strong, it doesn't hurt me, but it can't be allowed to continue". Those sentiments do not go together.

Milbury for all his faults is an old school hockey guy by today's standards and should have known better than to make any comment on anything other than the plays on the ice. He knows the environment that he worked in. I hate it for us as Americans, this stuff just gets silly.

I hate that moderators of our country's speech now appear to be 25 year olds on a social media platform or two who quite literally to borrow a phrase from my Grandfather "...are too young to know the difference between come here and sick-em'..."

Pretty soon a place like this which is a great deal of fun, but already heavily moderated, will more than likely be managed by the cancel culture folks as well.

Enjoy it while you can, we will all be a Milbury soon
enough by the standards of the cancel culture elite...

Excellent post. :thumbu:

Reactions: minpind

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
I do too. I wish there was still a little space for crotchety old men who make mostly insightful comments along with some that result in face-palms. I guess I should at least be grateful for being alive during the time in which I could laugh at All in the Family, The Jeffersons, Richard Pryor, and Mel Brooks without feeling like I was committing a microaggression or sin every time I laughed.

Not to mention Monty Python!

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
Rocky movies to be pulled - you will no longer be able to watch

Burgess Meredith telling Sly Stallone women weaken women’s legs offensive

cancel culture taking aim
yeah let's start holding fictional characters from the 70s to the same standards as TV sports journalists in 2020

Reactions: Baddkarma

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
yeah let's start holding fictional characters from the 70s to the same standards as TV sports journalists in 2020

Streaming services have put "trigger warnings" on movies such as "Gone With The Wind" and "Blazing Saddles" because someone might find their content upsetting. So yeah, it's happening. I'm not going any further than that, I don't want to get infracted.

Reactions: minpind

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
I think Milbury implied no such thing.

I think he implied what most people think he implied about young men. And it was meant to be a joke at the expense of men, not women.

Perhaps those that are so offended should consider the possibility that they don't have the proper perspective on the issue and that the respectful, constructive thing to do is to listen and try to understand where others are coming from.
I'm not sure that framing the comment as "no, he actually meant to insult the players!" makes the comments that much more defensible. He's there to do a job as an analyst & ambassador of the sport. The guys currently playing are doing so while sacrificing time away from their families during a pandemic. I'm not sure they need a guy on the TV broadcasts implying that it's better for them because they don't have all that ass to distract them. These guys are seasoned pros, even at a young age and they're playing in the most difficult circumstances of their career. So even as a shot at the male players it's still a pretty tone-deaf comment.

The thing is, though, words are complicated and it's possible for someone's remarks to be offensive to multiple groups. It's possible to imply that women only serve to distract men while also implying that the men lack the discipline to focus on the task at hand. The comment was stupid from just about any angle.

as for you trying to use my comments against me (the opposite of genuinely considering them or taking them to heart)...
I'm a white male in America. I'm almost 40. Your profile says you're a retired male. As a hardcore hockey fan I'd say it's a pretty fair assumption you're also white (apologies me if I'm wrong). As white guys who are middle aged or older, we've spent decades having our viewpoint be the defacto lens through which Western culture is seen. On TV, in movies, in sports (less so in music). In my early 20s I just kind of assumed everyone had the same experiences as me. As I've gotten older and the internet has shown me how many vastly different perspectives there are in the world I've learned to not just assume that my perspective is how others see the world. I've had to learn to constantly consider how others might view things, including the things people say. So yeah, I'm trying to encourage people to understand where others are coming from, because guys like you and I have had that luxury our whole lives.

Reactions: Grasshopperking

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
Streaming services have put "trigger warnings" on movies such as "Gone With The Wind" and "Blazing Saddles" because someone might find their content upsetting. So yeah, it's happening. I'm not going any further than that, I don't want to get infracted.
1. what does that have to do with Monty Python?
2. so the movies are still available to watch, but are just preceded by a warning? How does that affect ability to enjoy them? Do you have the same reaction to MPAA ratings shown before movies?
3. I wonder what people might find upsetting about the content of those movies. Have you ever wondered the same thing?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad