Confirmed with Link: Milbury Steps Down For Remainder of Playoffs

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
it implies that the women in these guys' lives can only serve to distract them and minimizes the support they've given them in their careers and the sacrifices they've made. It reduces women to window dressing in men's lives.
This is the best explanation. I think it is this remark about women and the Tuukka backlash that has put the pressure on for him to step down. He is not good at his job anyway, so good riddance.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Went out with my Bruins season ticket holder buds last night - 5 of us to Corrib Pub in West Roxbury outside seating - lot of educated white guys. No one thought Milbury was off base.

asked my wife a lawyer/teacher liberal who is head of teachers union she thought it was ridiculous

asked a few gals at gym and female hockey friends about it all thought absurd

my HF text group you all know from here thought that BS

Was just with my daughter who was a hockey player but forgot to ask her what she thinks

as for Milbury being trashed for hockey knowledge that Is f***ing comical

I realize hockey is my third sport and for someone who has played coached instructed taught learn to skate and been to roughly 1500-2000 live games I admit I should know more about the game

I would listen to Milbury when he coached Boston because I was coaching around then and pick up a lot - I would also see him and ask things and he was phenomenal

now I hear some know it all women on 98.5 yesterday going after Murray & Gasper 100% off base what Milbury said dropping ‘I’m a women your not so I’m right’ and telling us how Milbury doesn’t know hockey and her entire family thinks so as well

Gasper was angry he was attacked in this I could tell but for her to say Milbury doesn’t know hockey she lost me from the start

Last edited:

Grasshopperking

Sponsor
Jun 5, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
I'm glad. This comment was so unnecessary and it diminishes the role women have in their lives. I completely understand why people are reacting badly. A woman sits down to watch a hockey game and has to hear this joke make a comment that diminishes her gender to one that functionally disrupts victory for her team? In disappointed in many comments I'm reading, I'd love to hear from some of the women of the board on this

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
He remarked earlier that the game atmosphere in the bubble was similar to women's hockey and frankly he is not wrong. The statement enraged people involved in women's hockey but the reality is there is no commercial market for the game. Sadly people get excited during the Olympics and that's it.

Women's pro soccer has the same issue outside of the Olympics and World Cup.

Now it was a poor choice of words but it should not have caused the Twitterverse to explode.
Now I know why I stay away from twitter. There are other reasons as well

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
Theres sometimes a time and a place for most things.
He wiffed on both.
There’s nothing there to look at. Nothing. It’s ridiculous what’s going on. Everyone is so afraid and just react to this cancel culture. You shouldn’t lose your job over this. It’s was a fake statement by the NHL, NBC, and Milbury. None of these entities thought it was a problem. It was more for the media which makes a big deal about it for clicks. Our society should look in the mirror and ask WTF are we doing???

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
I'm glad. This comment was so unnecessary and it diminishes the role women have in their lives. I completely understand why people are reacting badly. A woman sits down to watch a hockey game and has to hear this joke make a comment that diminishes her gender to one that functionally disrupts victory for her team? In disappointed in many comments I'm reading, I'd love to hear from some of the women of the board on this
Do you go out into the real world and have normal conversations with non media people, or do you live in a bubble where it’s just you and your PC?

Last edited:

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
it implies that the women in these guys' lives can only serve to distract them and minimizes the support they've given them in their careers and the sacrifices they've made. It reduces women to window dressing in men's lives.

I think Milbury implied no such thing.

I think he implied what most people think he implied about young men. And it was meant to be a joke at the expense of men, not women.

Perhaps those that are so offended should consider the possibility that they don't have the proper perspective on the issue and that the respectful, constructive thing to do is to listen and try to understand where others are coming from.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
I personally wasnt offended by what he said. (I do believe he sucks as a commentator- full disclosure).

After giving this some thought some comments I see here remind me same comments I remember made on a variety of subjects, people, gender, groups in my lifetime.

Things that would horrify many today , not all because some roots wont die, but most.

In the 60s, 70s, 80s, especially. Changing times . Changing views. New voices.

My point? The times are and always will be changing. ‘Just words’ is something I have heard for more than half a century. Said them myself. No harm intended ever. But took a bit of learning why because I thought nothing of something how that didn’t register with someone else. Or better yet, me.

So it will always be this way. Change.
I dont have to like it. I dont have to agree with it. But as long as Im on this side of the grass I must at least recognize it.

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA

That isn't at all what it implies, but it is understandable why some might choose to interpret it that way.

Social media is a problem. It strengthens those who would use others demise for their own gain. Human nature I suppose but it is a poor look.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Went out with my Bruins season ticket holder buds last night - 5 of us to Corrib Pub in West Roxbury outside seating - lot of educated white guys. No one thought Milbury was off base.

asked my wife a lawyer/teacher liberal who is head of teachers union she thought it was ridiculous

asked a few gals at gym and female hockey friends about it all thought absurd

my HF text group you all know from here thought that BS

Was just with my daughter who was a hockey player but forgot to ask her what she thinks

as for Milbury being trashed for hockey knowledge that Is f***ing comical

I realize hockey is my third sport and for someone who has played coached instructed taught learn to skate and been to roughly 1500-2000 live games I admit I should know more about the game

I would listen to Milbury when he coached Boston because I was coaching around then and pick up a lot - I would also see him and ask things and he was phenomenal

now I hear some know it all women on 98.5 yesterday going after Murray & Gasper 100% off base what Milbury said dropping ‘I’m a women your not so I’m right’ and telling us how Milbury doesn’t know hockey and her entire family thinks so as well

Gasper was angry he was attacked in this I could tell but for her to say Milbury doesn’t know hockey she lost me from the start

I told my wife what Milbury said. Being an intelligent person, she immediately recognized that could be a problem.

When I asked her if it was offensive to her, she laughed. Of course not.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I told my wife what Milbury said. Being an intelligent person, she immediately recognized that could be a problem.

When I asked her if it was offensive to her, she laughed. Of course not.
Maria from Watertown on WEEI right now just nailed it Wish everyone could hear it

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
As part of teaching both remotely and in person simultaneously, I’ll be expected to be on Google Meet at all times.

Literally everything I say will be broadcast to an audience outside my classroom and God knows who will be listening.

You just have to know that in 2020, you’re going to have a target on your back and a microscope over you at all times. In the words of Walter Donovan in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade: Be very careful. Don’t trust ANYBODY.

Reactions: Gee Wally

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Rocky movies to be pulled - you will no longer be able to watch

Burgess Meredith telling Sly Stallone women weaken women’s legs offensive

cancel culture taking aim

BAD BOY

Mar 24, 2018
Peabody, Mass
I personally wasnt offended by what he said. (I do believe he sucks as a commentator- full disclosure).

After giving this some thought some comments I see here remind me same comments I remember made on a variety of subjects, people, gender, groups in my lifetime.

Things that would horrify many today , not all because some roots wont die, but most.

In the 60s, 70s, 80s, especially. Changing times . Changing views. New voices.

My point? The times are and always will be changing. ‘Just words’ is something I have heard for more than half a century. Said them myself. No harm intended ever. But took a bit of learning why because I thought nothing of something how that didn’t register with someone else. Or better yet, me.

So it will always be this way. Change.
I dont have to like it. I dont have to agree with it. But as long as Im on this side of the grass I must at least recognize it.
I don’t like him as a commentator as well. So I won’t miss him. His mouth got him into trouble like it always does. He’s got a big mouth. He’s not a GM or coach anymore he’s an analyst. He’s not the players mouthpiece, he’s an analyst dissecting the game with some humor involved.. but I would not fire him. However I doubt he works another game with that station.

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
Times have changed and people in the public eye have to be aware of that. Funny how someone like Don Cherry got away with it for so long and others have such a short leash. It is ironic how Milbury doesn't want to be a distraction though.

RHR37

Dec 24, 2019
In today's world everyone needs to be careful.

Don cherry a Canadian icon could not be saved.

Nobody has a chance. Not even Milbury.

I'm sure going "five hole" will be the next term removed.

Wont be able to go "upstairs" anymore.

Also why do you PEOPLE assume grandma keeps the peanut butter upstairs. Maybe it's the grandpa who puts the peanut butter top shelf. Maybe grandpa does not identify as a grandpa did you think about.

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
I think Milbury's main problem is that he lacks tact. I think much of the dumb stuff he says that pisses people off is due to his inability to clearly explain what he means, so he tends to just throw comments out there like he's your 90 year old grandmother who's got no filter.

If he replaced 'women' with 'families', no one would have batted an eye. I think plenty of people understood his intent, and it's unfortunate that some interpreted it as a suggestion that women in the media serve as a disctraction and that players would be better off if they weren't involved.

The reality with Milbury is that I don't think he's capable of speaking with a filter, and besides not liking him personally, it's why I think he's a bad commentator. He's basically there for hot takes. There are moments where he's capable of providing insight and speaking to the nuances of the game, but there are definitely fewer of them than there used to be.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad