Player Discussion Milan Lucic (Trial date 2/16)- Charges DROPPED-will NOT return this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
As we continue the discussion of this player, please take a moment to refresh yourselves with a few of our forum guidelines.

Keep in mind you agreed to abide by these guidelines when you signed up for the site.

Thanks.

Flaming: Critique the opinion, not the person. Personal attacks against members are not permitted. Report flaming, do not respond to it. Counter-flaming is also prohibited.

Trolling: Do not make posts that could be interpreted as though they were made to cause an argument or provoke others. Making generalizations about other posters is a common form of trolling. Posting questionable content on team boards, particularly those of rivals, is likely to be seen as trolling.

Spamming: Posts that advertise anything without the authorization of site Administrators may be considered “spam”. If you wish to advertise on HFBoards please contact [email protected]. No money leagues are allowed in the Fantasy Talk forum. Do not post the same content multiple times, whether on the same forum, or across multiple forums.

Threadjacking/OT/Politics: Posts that waste space or time on the site, annoy users due to characteristics or repetition, disrupt the site functionality, or cause threads to veer off topic may be considered “threadjacking/OT”. This also applies to signatures, user titles, avatars, profile fields, and so forth. Stay on topic as much as possible. Post new threads in the appropriate forum only. Political discussion is not permitted on the forums except within the narrowly defined scope of hockey-related matters.

Claims of Insider Information/ Rumors & Hearsay: If you're an insider, contact us with proof BEFORE you post. These posts will be allowed/rejected at the discretion of administrators after consulting with other posters, moderators, and relevant sources. Deference will be given to veteran members who have established credibility. It's not acceptable to post that you heard someone has a drinking/drug/sex/personal problem from a "good" source. Do not post information that can be considered defamatory without a link to a credible media source. Other forums, personal websites, amateur/unvetted blogs, hearsay, and personal testimonials are not considered credible.

BiteThisBurrows

Feb 11, 2022
Ultimately this is between him and his wife. If they are fine with things and have worked it out I am fine with it too. It's their business not mine. The charges are dropped, then the charges are dropped and that's it. Internet opinions don't matter and the PC crowd can argue with the anti woke crowd but none of it has anything to do with reality.
If I were the Bruins though I would get the locker room opinion though before bringing him back (if that's their preference). If the room is good with it then that's where the discussion should end. Then let him play and keep private lives private.

I mean come on, it's not like he slept with Poitras' mom or something. Then we'd have to ship him to Edmonton.

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle
That’s an extremely odd statement. This is the conundrum with modern days sports/ fandom/ social media era. Fans step over the invisible boundary. IMO this is his personal life. Not a single commenter here has access to the details of what happened that night. And we won’t as the case didn’t go to trial. His wife, has decided not to testify. Why she did is none of our business. When did fans decide they have the right to pass judgment on athletes? Are we so righteous?

It’s the families business. I prefer to mind my own. Just one man’s opinion but I think after today’s news, there will be many disappointed Bruins fans if the team decides to cut bait with Lucic. Forgiveness, second chances & all that jazz.

Looooooochhhh !!!!!
It's not for me to forgive him but I don't hold animosity towards him. On the other hand I don't believe the situation paints the picture of someone I want in my locker room. He pulled his wife by the hair and there was a red mark on her chest after she reported over the phone she had been choked. So what if she technically wasn't strangled. I'd be helpless and scared if someone manhandled me in that way. If they did it to my daughters I'd be looking for a gun. So the Jacobs can do as they please. But they can't make decisions without consequences. So we shall see what happens but I don't think he's been guaranteed his spot back in the lineup by any means.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
Seems like I'm in the minority on this, but as a reminder of why I feel so strongly it's because what Milan Lucic did was vile. He only got off today on a technicality once his wife refused to testify. There's no doubt a) who called 911 that night and b) who attacked her because the cops showed up, met her, noted her injuries and damage in the house, and arrested him. But because no actual names were used during the call, neither hers nor his, the judge didn't allow the recording. Technically theirs no proof who called. What's on the recording is awful enough, though, and since we're not a court of law we're allowed to simply use common sense to determine what happened that night. Here's what she called 911 for:

In the recording, a woman tells the operator, “My husband tried to choke me tonight... He literally held my throat.” (DA) Jones also called the 911 operator to verify the caller was Lucic’s wife.

He can work on himself, heal his relationship with his family, and earn redemption on his own. He doesn't need to play for the Bruins to do any of that. His heinous actions are more than enough to revoke that privilege at the moment. And he's already gotten the only second chance that matters because he's not being sent to jail for what he did. His wife gave him all the grace, compassion, and understanding he needs in the world (and I am NOT questioning her reasons). Doesn't mean we have to. You can also root for him to become a better person off the ice without him being on it.

Also, if this fanbase didn't already love him for past glory most people wouldn't want him back on the team now. If he was just some new guy Sweeney signed this offseason this conversation would be very different with a lot fewer supporters. Instead we're offering understanding/making excuses because he's a fan favorite.

RoccoF14

Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
Seems like I'm in the minority on this, but as a reminder of why I feel so strongly it's because what Milan Lucic did was vile. He only got off today on a technicality once his wife refused to testify. There's no doubt a) who called 911 that night and b) who attacked her because the cops showed up, met her, noted her injuries and damage in the house, and arrested him. But because no actual names were used during the call, neither hers nor his, the judge didn't allow the recording. Technically theirs no proof who called. What's on the recording is awful enough, though, and since we're not a court of law we're allowed to simply use common sense to determine what happened that night. Here's what she called 911 for:

In the recording, a woman tells the operator, “My husband tried to choke me tonight... He literally held my throat.” (DA) Jones also called the 911 operator to verify the caller was Lucic’s wife.

He can work on himself, heal his relationship with his family, and earn redemption on his own. He doesn't need to play for the Bruins to do any of that. His heinous actions are more than enough to revoke that privilege at the moment. And he's already gotten the only second chance that matters because he's not being sent to jail for what he did. His wife gave him all the grace, compassion, and understanding he needs in the world (and I am NOT questioning her reasons). Doesn't mean we have to. You can also root for him to become a better person off the ice without him being on it.

Also, if this fanbase didn't already love him for past glory most people wouldn't want him back on the team now. If he was just some new guy Sweeney signed this offseason this conversation would be very different with a lot fewer supporters. Instead we're offering understanding/making excuses because he's a fan favorite.
Great post, Mike.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
And if told that he'll never play another game for the team, perhaps he would in fact agree to mutual termination rather than the prolonged embarrassment of being scratched. Either way he gets his money. I'm not convinced that this is a 100% done deal that he will be on their 23 man roster going forward.

It comes down to how much loyalty the organization feels towards the player and whether or not they are ok with a public backlash that will come from mostly outside of their team and fanbase.
It was easier to walk away from Mitch Miller because there was no sentimental value there.

Of course, it's a matter of opinion as to whether sentimental value should play a part in any of the math here anyway

Reactions: HustleB

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO

Respectfully you are painting all people as the same by saying "we offer understanding/making excuses because he's a fan favourite."

If you've read this thread a lot of people are offering understanding for a lot of reasons, including things that have happened in their own past.

Think it's kind of wrong to paint everyone else as blinded by fandom because you see this as a black/white issue - I think all thoughts and opinions shared so far have been pretty valid, a lot of nuance to this situation.

I do think that playing in the NHL is a privilege that should be earned, I question if mistakes like this should be forgiven in the NHL setting as easily, but in real life it's different.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
And if told that he'll never play another game for the team, perhaps he would in fact agree to mutual termination rather than the prolonged embarrassment of being scratched. Either way he gets his money. I'm not convinced that this is a 100% done deal that he will be on their 23 man roster going forward.

It comes down to how much loyalty the organization feels towards the player and whether or not they are ok with a publish backlash that will come from mostly outside of their team and fanbase.
It was easier to walk away from Mitch Miller because there was no sentimental value there.

Of course, it's a matter of opinion as to whether sentimental value should play a part in any of the math here anyway
Sure if Lucic agrees to term than there’s no issue. All of the above discourse is assuming he doesn’t agree to a termination. Again, meaning Lucic holds all the cards here.

Reactions: Gordoff

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Would go a long way in restoring faith in management after the MM fiasco but would they really have the balls to waste a spot + space on him?
The roster spot would only matter until the trade deadline. At that point rosters expand.

Reactions: NDiesel

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
It's not for me to forgive him but I don't hold animosity towards him. On the other hand I don't believe the situation paints the picture of someone I want in my locker room. He pulled his wife by the hair and there was a red mark on her chest after she reported over the phone she had been choked. So what if she technically wasn't strangled. I'd be helpless and scared if someone manhandled me in that way. If they did it to my daughters I'd be looking for a gun. So the Jacobs can do as they please. But they can't make decisions without consequences. So we shall see what happens but I don't think he's been guaranteed his spot back in the lineup by any means.
We don’t know the full context. His wife chose not to testify. If she had testified under oath perhaps I’d understand your position. You’re making assumptions.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005

If he was a Leafs player or Habs player and they brought that player back there would be a much different feeling about 2nd or 3rd chances.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
Respectfully you are painting all people as the same by saying "we offer understanding/making excuses because he's a fan favourite."

If you've read this thread a lot of people are offering understanding for a lot of reasons, including things that have happened in their own past.

Think it's kind of wrong to paint everyone else as blinded by fandom because you see this as a black/white issue - I think all thoughts and opinions shared so far have been pretty valid, a lot of nuance to this situation.

I do think that playing in the NHL is a privilege that should be earned, I question if mistakes like this should be forgiven in the NHL setting as easily, but in real life it's different.

I stand by exactly what I said, which included that if he were someone else he'd have less supporters and be getting a lot less understanding. Some would be supporting Joe Shmo the exact same way, yes, but a lot wouldn't. Because he's Milan Lucic he's being extended more grace and compassion, neither of which I think he should be getting until we've seen he deserves it.

SPV

Zoinks!
Sponsor
Feb 4, 2003
New Hampshire
hfboards.com
Does he have alcohol issues, drug issues, mental health illness, does he have signs of CTE? I think the NHL has to address all of this while he’s enrolled in the PAP, and get him and his family healthy before there is any discussion about returning to the league. I don’t know anything about that program, or how much the NHL takes care of its players and families, hopefully they do.

Reactions: Roll 4 Lines

ProdigalFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 2, 2011
Mansfield, MA
Sounds like the incident was one of many and Brittany made the 911 call as a cry for help. Things always look different once sober and in the light of day with law enforcement involved. Sometimes it takes "hitting bottom" for changes to be made and hopefully this can be the turning point for this family.

If Milan ends up back on the team, I'm sure there will be upset fans, but he doesn't have to answer to us (although I'm sure he would make a public statement). Honestly, I think at this stage of his career, Boston is the only place that would have him, especially now. Our coach is a recovering alcoholic and would be a great support, as would be his teammates and their families. Brittany and the children would also get support.

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
If he was a Leafs player or Habs player and they brought that player back there would be a much different feeling about 2nd or 3rd chances.
Habs drafting Mallioux says you are wrong.I did not see any outpouring by their fans all mad about what he did .The kid never even expected to be drafted cause of it.Then he goes late 1st rd I believe after everyone passing.

Reactions: HustleB

dugg133

Jan 11, 2023
"In the recording, a woman tells the operator, 'My husband tried to choke me tonight... He literally held my throat.'"

He got off because his wife refused to testify against the father of her children and causeshe never explicitly identified herself or Looch in the 911 call so that was inadmissible as evidence. Does not mean he's innocent and personally still want nothing to do with him coming back.

bruins19

Aug 11, 2005

I agree with your point that if this were a new guy, the team would be quick to cut ties. Perhaps this is harder because someone they deliberately brought back and care about needs help. That said, he can get help without ever playing another game of hockey, whether for us or someone else. There is no excuse for the behavior. Can’t justify that in any way, shape, or form. At the end of the day, as someone said, this is a matter between him and his wife. Lots of reasons why she may have decided not to testify. Maybe she didn’t testify because she thinks he and her marriage are worth saving. If that is the case, and she is ok with him going back to work, and he successfully completes rehab, and his teammates want him back, I am ok with a return. That is a lot of if’s however. Only time will tell how this plays out.

Reactions: Gordoff

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle

Perfectly said. Thank you.

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle
Being imperfect, I believe in forgiveness when the person realizes they were wrong, truly is sorry, and has made amends. That said, I have no idea if any of that has happened.
I agree but forgiveness does not imply a return to previous circumstances without repercussions. He can be forgiven and still not play in the NHL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad