Player Discussion Milan Lucic (Trial date 2/16)- Charges DROPPED-will NOT return this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
As we continue the discussion of this player, please take a moment to refresh yourselves with a few of our forum guidelines.

Keep in mind you agreed to abide by these guidelines when you signed up for the site.

Thanks.

Flaming: Critique the opinion, not the person. Personal attacks against members are not permitted. Report flaming, do not respond to it. Counter-flaming is also prohibited.

Trolling: Do not make posts that could be interpreted as though they were made to cause an argument or provoke others. Making generalizations about other posters is a common form of trolling. Posting questionable content on team boards, particularly those of rivals, is likely to be seen as trolling.

Spamming: Posts that advertise anything without the authorization of site Administrators may be considered “spam”. If you wish to advertise on HFBoards please contact [email protected]. No money leagues are allowed in the Fantasy Talk forum. Do not post the same content multiple times, whether on the same forum, or across multiple forums.

Threadjacking/OT/Politics: Posts that waste space or time on the site, annoy users due to characteristics or repetition, disrupt the site functionality, or cause threads to veer off topic may be considered “threadjacking/OT”. This also applies to signatures, user titles, avatars, profile fields, and so forth. Stay on topic as much as possible. Post new threads in the appropriate forum only. Political discussion is not permitted on the forums except within the narrowly defined scope of hockey-related matters.

Claims of Insider Information/ Rumors & Hearsay: If you're an insider, contact us with proof BEFORE you post. These posts will be allowed/rejected at the discretion of administrators after consulting with other posters, moderators, and relevant sources. Deference will be given to veteran members who have established credibility. It's not acceptable to post that you heard someone has a drinking/drug/sex/personal problem from a "good" source. Do not post information that can be considered defamatory without a link to a credible media source. Other forums, personal websites, amateur/unvetted blogs, hearsay, and personal testimonials are not considered credible.

SwayHeyKid

Living by faith, not by sight.
Mar 14, 2022
If Milan Lucic plays for the Bruins again I am going to think of his wife everytime he is in a fight or that he makes a menacing play in the corner or in a scrum. This will be a shame on the franchise in the Centennial season if he plays with us again.

Just one man’s opinion but I think there will be many disappointed fans.
Well he did duck Laraque and John Scott.

cshea

Nov 7, 2006
Belmont, MA
The buyout window is closed so there’s no possibly for buyout.

Contract termination has to be mutual. You have to waive for a one sided term and he can’t be waived without consent.

Right, remove buyout, a window isn't open. It still remains true that a player with an NMC cannot block a contract termination. It's right there in the CBA FAQ's on Cap Friendly posted above and other CBA/Salary Sites.

The player recourse for contract termination is a grievance through the union.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Right, remove buyout, a window isn't open. It still remains true that a player with an NMC cannot block a contract termination. It's right there in the CBA FAQ's on Cap Friendly posted above and other CBA/Salary Sites.

The player recourse for contract termination is a grievance through the union.
From PuckPedia (and there are other sources easily found):

FBBB6761-DB76-4F67-A6FB-1C3BE451E4D8.jpeg

Bruins don’t have a leg to stand on with his case getting thrown out of court.

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
Actions have consequences. He’s fortunate to not be dealing with legal consequences at this point, but that doesn’t mean he should be able to benefit from the privilege of playing in the NHL for the Boston Bruins.

He’s at the end of his career. Coming back would be a huge distraction. The juice isn’t worth the squeeze.

I wish him and his family healing and all the support they need, and hope they can find a new version of normal.

Reactions: pearljamvs5

cshea

Nov 7, 2006
Belmont, MA
Well, someone is wrong.

Sportsnet:

An NMC prohibits a team from moving a player by trade, loan or waivers, or assigning that player to the minors without the player’s consent. This keeps the player with the pro team unless that player permits a move by one of these means. An NMC does not restrict a team from buying out or terminating a player’s contract.

Cap Friendly

What is a No-Move Clause (NMC)?​

A No-Move Clause (NMC) can be added to a player's contract in the years after they are eligible for Group 3 Unrestricted Free Agency (7 Accrued seasons or 27 years of age), and has the following properties:
  • Player cannot be traded without his consent (however, the clause can specify a modified no-trade clause that limits the NTC to a certain number of teams)
  • Player cannot be placed on waivers without his consent
  • Player cannot be assigned to the minors without his consent
  • Player is not exempt from a buyout or contract termination
  • Once the clause has gone into effect, it can travel with the player even if he consents to being traded or is claimed on waivers
    • This requires that the acquiring team sign an addendum to the contract ensuring that the clause does in fact travel with the player (written by the player's agent)
    • If the acquiring team refuses to sign the addendum, and the player waives his clause anyway, at that point the clause may be nullified
  • In prior CBA’s (2005, 2013) if the player was traded before the clause took effect, the acquiring team could opt to void the clause. However, as of July 2020, and under the new Memorandum of Understanding (MOU), all No-Move and No-Trade clauses included in the players active contract shall continue to remain active and travel with the player even in the event that the SPC is moved (either by trade, waivers claim, or loan to another league) regardless of whether or not the clause has taken effect.

General Fanager

What’s the difference between a No-Movement Clause (NMC) and a No-Trade Clause (NTC)?
A No-Movement Clause prohibits a team from moving a player by trade, loan or waivers, or assigning that player to the minors without the player’s consent. This keeps the player with the pro team unless permitted by the player to move the player by one of these means. A No-Movement Clause does not restrict a team from buying out or terminating a player’s contract.

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010
Craig McTavish got a 2nd chance after doing something far worse then what Lucic did. He made the most of it and had a long career as both a player and a coach. I hope Lucic is afforded the same opportunity that others like McTavish, Watson, etc have received.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Would love any links you've found that say they can't simply release him. I know they can't waive him, because another team could claim him, but paying him what he's owed and making him a free agent doesn't violate his NMC in anyway.

Thanks.

Based on the Mitchell Miller situation your not wrong about a release. But it would require agreement from all parties including the league and PA it seems.

There is, however, no record of the team placing him on unconditional waivers for the purpose of termination as required by the CBA. Then too, that regulation applies to mutually agreed termination, which this was not.

The NHLPA, in turn, filed a grievance.

We have learned that in lieu of a hearing, the parties reached a settlement under which Boston was released from its obligation while Miller received an unknown sum and was granted free agency.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Well, someone is wrong.

Sportsnet:

Cap Friendly

General Fanager

The part that’s missing is they need a cause to terminate his contract. A NMC doesn’t prevent that termination for cause. They don’t have that cause with the case being tossed unless Bettman suspends him or similar.

BergyWho37

Only The Strong Will Survive (Never Give Up)
Jun 18, 2012
True North
Mutual agreement they can have a contract termination which I doubt Looch would block this if the Bruins wanted this..

I doubt they’ll go this way unless they have knowledge that it was worse then the public knows.

Either way I’m on the side of the Family healing ( Wife and kids even Looch getting the help he needs ) and it’s none of my business

Reactions: Ladyfan

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
As much as I want someone in this lineup who is willing to actually drop the mitts and get ugly, I just can`t move forward with Looch.

Having a case dismissed isn`t an indication of innocence

If I robbed a bank but the case was tossed out because of an illegal search, does that mean I didn`t rob a bank?

Sorry, I`ve been given multiple chances over my time and I tend to try and do the same with others but to me, this case being dismissed IS his chance, now he needs to work at making himself a better human being and this team does NOT require another distraction

SwayHeyKid

Living by faith, not by sight.
Mar 14, 2022
I am willing to give the man a chance after a free conference with his wife and kids showing remorse.
Another chance you mean?

aged well

BOSTON (CBS) - I'm not concerned about the alleged physical altercation between Boston Bruins forward Milan Lucic and his girlfriend. Truth is, I don't think he would hit his girlfriend. It just doesn't make any sense, drunk or not. What I am concerned about is the comment he made to the police after the incident.

Reactions: Dr Quincy

Dizzay

Jul 8, 2004
Moncton
1. He needs to be released from the PAP
2. He needs to express a desire to come back and play hockey and hockey for the Bruins
3. I think there needs to be proof that him and his wife and family are where they need to be and are working through things and in a good place and something like this doesn't happen two games into a potential comeback
4. I think the team has to unanimously want Looch back in that dressing room
5. I think the coaching staff and ownership have to unanimously want Looch back on the team.

If 1-5 all happen, I'll be ecstatic to see #17 back in the line up. We've been trying to replace him since he left Boston. We finally reunited. We've been trying to replace him since he's been on leave. Who better to replace Looch than a motivated Looch given a second chance in life and in hockey. LFG

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
If Milan Lucic plays for the Bruins again I am going to think of his wife everytime he is in a fight or that he makes a menacing play in the corner or in a scrum. This will be a shame on the franchise in the Centennial season if he plays with us again.

Just one man’s opinion but I think there will be many disappointed fans.
That’s an extremely odd statement. This is the conundrum with modern days sports/ fandom/ social media era. Fans step over the invisible boundary. IMO this is his personal life. Not a single commenter here has access to the details of what happened that night. And we won’t as the case didn’t go to trial. His wife, has decided not to testify. Why she did is none of our business. When did fans decide they have the right to pass judgment on athletes? Are we so righteous?

It’s the families business. I prefer to mind my own. Just one man’s opinion but I think after today’s news, there will be many disappointed Bruins fans if the team decides to cut bait with Lucic. Forgiveness, second chances & all that jazz.

Looooooochhhh !!!!!

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Another chance you mean?

aged well

BOSTON (CBS) - I'm not concerned about the alleged physical altercation between Boston Bruins forward Milan Lucic and his girlfriend. Truth is, I don't think he would hit his girlfriend. It just doesn't make any sense, drunk or not. What I am concerned about is the comment he made to the police after the incident.

you have made your feelings known a couple of times. And that is fine. But as directed dont be fishing for a debate.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
2. He needs to express a desire to come back and play hockey and hockey for the Bruins
3. I think there needs to be proof that him and his wife and family are where they need to be and are working through things and in a good place and something like this doesn't happen two games into a potential comeback
5. I think the coaching staff and ownership have to unanimously want Looch back on the team.

If 1-5 all happen, I'll be ecstatic to see #17 back in the line up. We've been trying to replace him since he left Boston. We finally reunited. We've been trying to replace him since he's been on leave. Who better to replace Looch than a motivated Looch given a second chance in life and in hockey. LFG
3-5 don’t really matter though. From a procedural standpoint. That’s not to say he would force himself in if 3-5 aren’t reached, but he could.

Reactions: Gordoff

nORRis8

The NHL, the stupidest League ever.
Sep 16, 2015
RedDeer, Alberta
Get this man back in uniform!!!! Now!!!!

To add to that, yes he likely did something wrong, but as well there's always two sides of the story, always!!!
Furthermore this is something that did come out in the Press, and that's fine.
But believe me I know of some retired NHL players and "friends of"and these guys are not Angels by any stretch of the imagination.
So yes, we see them filmed when they are visiting sick children in hospital, bringing gifts.
What we do not see is when they're traveling and they have a day off... they are hitting the local strip club as soon as practice is over plus after a game as well.
If we knew of all the things are up to we would truly be disgusted.

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
As much as I want someone in this lineup who is willing to actually drop the mitts and get ugly, I just can`t move forward with Looch.

If I robbed a bank but the case was tossed out because of an illegal search, does that mean I didn`t rob a bank?

Sorry, I`ve been given multiple chances over my time and I tend to try and do the same with others but to me, this case being dismissed IS his chance, now he needs to work at making himself a better human being and this team does NOT require another distraction
This is where I'm at as well. I hope he figures it out and he mends the damage with his spouse/family.

I don't care 1 iota whether he plays hockey again or not.....

Reactions: HustleB and JCRO

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011

Very well said.

Reactions: lopey

SPV

Zoinks!
Sponsor
Feb 4, 2003
New Hampshire
hfboards.com

I agree with this, it’s a difficult situation, but it’s ultimately between him and his family. If the NHL clears him, and the family is trying to recover, why should the court of public opinion be against him. I’d give him the chance to make better on everything the rest of the year, assuming what you’ve said is met.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad