Mikko Rantanen Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

LieutenantDangle

Barry McKockner
Oct 28, 2014
'Merica
Who will Ranty eat out from our powerplay? Comeau?

images

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
He wasn't ready early on.

That's not entirely fair. He was put in a position to fail. He was buried on the 3rd/4th lines where is game and skill set was underused and he didn't have much in the way of competent line mates to use his best attributes.

The guy is a top 6 skater, it will be nice to see what he can do with top end guys like MacK.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
Just because someone makes a few nice passes doesn't mean they are ready. It's about what you do every second you are on the ice. And early on he was a step behind the play a ton and he just didn't look sure of himself, especially without the puck. He just wasn't processing the play at a fast enough rate.

And there was a reason he was playing in the bottom 6. When he rarely got a chance with the top guys he looked even further behind the play.

Adding a few points wouldn't have changed a thing about how ready for this level he was right off the bat. When he came back though, that's a different story.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
http://www.iltasanomat.fi/nhl/art-2000001939485.html

Comments from Rantanens legendary strenght coach Rautala.

-Physically Mikko is unbeliavable talented, he could just walk past gym and gain muscle.
He is going to break out this year, physically he is in incredible shape.

In one area especially Rautala has noticed improvement.
- Elasticity and power. You can see it best in the sprints with sleds.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Very likely this has been dictated to him. Bednar might be the type to give kids a chance, but I don't think Rants and Z are proof of that.

Greg is probably the best indicator of his ability to work with different types of talent. He hasn't focused on the flaws in Gregs game, and he hasn't come down hard on him either for the shifts where he lost a bit of intensity.

I didn't like Bednar's lines to start, but I have to admit its nice that he stuck with them for a bit (despite some mixing during bad games), so I hope he gives these lines a good run of a couple games as well.

At least I get to see if Greg and MacK can really develop the chemistry I think they're going to have lol.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Greg is probably the best indicator of his ability to work with different types of talent. He hasn't focused on the flaws in Gregs game, and he hasn't come down hard on him either for the shifts where he lost a bit of intensity.

I didn't like Bednar's lines to start, but I have to admit its nice that he stuck with them for a bit (despite some mixing during bad games), so I hope he gives these lines a good run of a couple games as well.

At least I get to see if Greg and MacK can really develop the chemistry I think they're going to have lol.

Grigo did get demoted for a bit... it could just be a byproduct of not having any better options.

I don't think we will know the answer to this until Bigras/Compher/Greer/Jost (maybe) are legitimately pushing for spots. We have seen Bigras pushed down, but that is probably a numbers game as much as Bednar not trusting a rookie. Time will tell.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Grigo did get demoted for a bit... it could just be a byproduct of not having any better options.

I don't think we will know the answer to this until Bigras/Compher/Greer/Jost (maybe) are legitimately pushing for spots. We have seen Bigras pushed down, but that is probably a numbers game as much as Bednar not trusting a rookie. Time will tell.

That was extremely temporary, which is nothing different than Roy did when handling him, and sending a message. Damn you are a skeptic sometimes lol

You didn't see him centering the 4th line the next game.

You also still see Colborne on the 3rd and 4th lines despite having a hat trick. I think he knows JC's lack of speed is an issue, and I also think (unless it's just word play to the media), that hes able to see Greg's strengths as well.

I mean on the radio when asked about that line with MacK, he specifically referenced Greg being an intelligent player, and a good passer, and that he hoped it would help MacK. That's pretty much the reason anyone asking for Greg next to MacK brings it up.

You can say lack of better options for pretty much any player in the league outside of about 3 guys lol.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
That was extremely temporary, which is nothing different than Roy did when handling him, and sending a message. Damn you are a skeptic sometimes lol

You didn't see him centering the 4th line the next game.

You also still see Colborne on the 3rd and 4th lines despite having a hat trick. I think he knows JC's lack of speed is an issue, and I also think (unless it's just word play to the media), that hes able to see Greg's strengths as well.

I mean on the radio when asked about that line with MacK, he specifically referenced Greg being an intelligent player, and a good passer, and that he hoped it would help MacK. That's pretty much the reason anyone asking for Greg next to MacK brings it up.

You can say lack of better options for pretty much any player in the league outside of about 3 guys lol.

I'm not being skeptical... I'm waiting to form an opinion. The board is still very much in the honeymoon phase with Bednar and everything is roses. Let's give it time before we go overboard either way. I've seen a lot of Bednar and I know people who have played under him... I know a bit of how he operates. He is a smart coach and I fully expect some of his habits to change moving to the NHL (they did from the ECHL to AHL). That doesn't mean everything goes away. 5 games is too small of a sample to say what his preferences are for player treatment at the NHL level.

Colborne was also strictly at center. I'm curious to how he gets used now that he is back at wing, where he is a better player. I don't think Colborne is a worse skater than Grigo... in small spaces and along the boards, I'd actually say he is better... maybe a lot better.

Yeah he is trying to ease some of the burden on MacK and probably talked with MacK about what he wants next to him and came up with the thought process. Common for coaches to do. Say he takes Grigo off, and puts Colborne up there... Bednar will say "We wanted somebody who could win some board battles to get the puck in MacK's hands, and somebody that is willing to go to the dirty areas to score some goals off the rebound and soft spot chances that MacK will create." He will always have justification for what he puts together.

Yeah but Grigo isn't an especially great player right now and the Avs are not real deep on wing. Outside Landy, who is demonstrably better than Grigo on the wing?

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I'm not being skeptical... I'm waiting to form an opinion. The board is still very much in the honeymoon phase with Bednar and everything is roses. Let's give it time before we go overboard either way. I've seen a lot of Bednar and I know people who have played under him... I know a bit of how he operates. He is a smart coach and I fully expect some of his habits to change moving to the NHL (they did from the ECHL to AHL). That doesn't mean everything goes away. 5 games is too small of a sample to say what his preferences are for player treatment at the NHL level.

Colborne was also strictly at center. I'm curious to how he gets used now that he is back at wing, where he is a better player. I don't think Colborne is a worse skater than Grigo... in small spaces and along the boards, I'd actually say he is better... maybe a lot better.

Yeah he is trying to ease some of the burden on MacK and probably talked with MacK about what he wants next to him and came up with the thought process. Common for coaches to do. Say he takes Grigo off, and puts Colborne up there... Bednar will say "We wanted somebody who could win some board battles to get the puck in MacK's hands, and somebody that is willing to go to the dirty areas to score some goals off the rebound and soft spot chances that MacK will create." He will always have justification for what he puts together.

Yeah but Grigo isn't an especially great player right now and the Avs are not real deep on wing. Outside Landy, who is demonstrably better than Grigo on the wing?

I know I'm just giving you **** for raining on my Grigorenko parade there, at least you threw in a "right now," haha.

We are still in the honeymoon phase with Bednar, but there is nothing wroth with pointing out what hes done thus far. Especially if you see it as a positive sign.

I'm usually optimistic, and with that I'm not really afraid of being let down either. Some people really are afraid of being overly optimistic to save their feelings, but I'm not one of them.

You do a lot of hinting at knowledge of stuff, and I value it when it has substance, but it's actually kind of annoying when you don't at least elaborate somewhat. If you are hinting that he can be stubborn, and a hard ass with players, then just say that.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Very likely this has been dictated to him. Bednar might be the type to give kids a chance, but I don't think Rants and Z are proof of that.

Just judging off the fact he takes Z off the top pairing half way through almost every game, I get the feeling he wouldn't be playing in that role if it were up to him.

Wonder if we see a similar approach with Mikko?

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com

Agree, however giving them big roles right off the bat might require some input from him. What I'm really anxious to see is how Bednar handles callups and the roles he puts them in. That will truly show his attitudes towards giving kids a shot.

Which of those habits Bednar has are we going to see emerge?

Last edited:

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
http://www.iltasanomat.fi/nhl/art-2000001939485.html

Comments from Rantanens legendary strenght coach Rautala.

-Physically Mikko is unbeliavable talented, he could just walk past gym and gain muscle.
He is going to break out this year, physically he is in incredible shape.

In one area especially Rautala has noticed improvement.
- Elasticity and power. You can see it best in the sprints with sleds.

Rautala's an interesting cat. Something tells me he might actually have said something like this.

"Mikko Break definitely through this year. He is physically so in rough shape. Now seems to be in the NHL's biggest ass."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad