Mikko Rantanen Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
And so Rintintin starts his march for the Calder.

I know we're just being sarcastic, but we should legit temper our expectations. Yes, he has lots of potential and has likely matured a fair bit since his cup of tea last year, but he really looked out of sorts in those 9 games. 0 points in 9 games, a second worst on the team -7, and just looked lost.

All these posts saying 'thank goodness we got a top 6 winger back, put him on the 1st line' are a bit far fetched, IMO. He will probably start in the bottom 6 and will need to work his way up the lineup. There will be lots of growing pains and he will need to learn how to survive, before succeeding, at this level.

Jarey Curry

Avalanche of Makar
May 2, 2015
Finland
I know we're just being sarcastic, but we should legit temper our expectations. Yes, he has lots of potential and has likely matured a fair bit since his cup of tea last year, but he really looked out of sorts in those 9 games. 0 points in 9 games, a second worst on the team -7, and just looked lost.

All these posts saying 'thank goodness we got a top 6 winger back, put him on the 1st line' are a bit far fetched, IMO. He will probably start in the bottom 6 and will need to work his way up the lineup. There will be lots of growing pains and he will need to learn how to survive, before succeeding, at this level.

Rookie season is always a question mark but what Matthews, Nylander and Laine are doing now might not last all season. Rantanen will have some chance to the calder but it was obviously diminished by a later season start

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

I don't think you remember those games correctly if you think Mikko looked lost.

LieutenantDangle

Barry McKockner
Oct 28, 2014
'Merica
I don't think you remember those games correctly if you think Mikko looked lost.

not to mention Bednar has already been quoted saying Rantanen needs to be playing really big minutes for the Avs

So assuming a top 6 role for Rantanen isn't far fetched in the least

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
He wasn't bad in his short stint last year but there's nothing left to gained playing in the AHL and he's already better than some players in the top 6. I expect 40-50 points and a player that can receive a pass as well as dish one out from time to time. Nothing unreasonable.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I'm assuming the big minutes just means not on the 4th line. I'm hoping Bednar does something to shore up the third line. It could be Rants, but my preference would be to move Soda or Grigo to the #3C spot (if it is Soda, move Duchene back to center). Then slot Rants where he fits best (and put Colborne on the wing!!!).

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
I'm assuming the big minutes just means not on the 4th line. I'm hoping Bednar does something to shore up the third line. It could be Rants, but my preference would be to move Soda or Grigo to the #3C spot (if it is Soda, move Duchene back to center). Then slot Rants where he fits best (and put Colborne on the wing!!!).

Werd. Soda as the third line centre would be lovely.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
It's going to take an adjustment period but please remember he's a playmaker first and foremost, it matters who he's playing with, not unlike Grigo. That's where he's going to have success first. When he came back at the end of the year and he was feeding gorgeous passes to McLeod, things of that nature are not going to help him have success. I'd like to think with all this talk of putting him in a position to succeed means those things too. 3rd line to start is fine but give him something to work with.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
It's going to take an adjustment period but please remember he's a playmaker first and foremost, it matters who he's playing with, not unlike Grigo. That's where he's going to have success first. When he came back at the end of the year and he was feeding gorgeous passes to McLeod, things of that nature are not going to help him have success. I'd like to think with all this talk of putting him in a position to succeed means those things too. 3rd line to start is fine but give him something to work with.

I want him on MacKinnon's wing.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
If Rants starts on the 3rd line, I'm guessing he will at least be with Colborne. He can at least bury chances at a decent rate.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Wasnt Zadorov pretty good on the PP in San Antonio aswell? I wanted to see Zads launching rockets from the point on the PP with the Avs but I guess Como is a better option on the PP....

Yes. Sometimes it was Bigras, Z and Mikko together, was a sight to behold. They had Mikko QBing it from the half wall, was a big threat to pass or shoot from there or he could turn and work it down low.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Zadorov needs to continue working on his 5v5 game before he gets on the PP. Let him focus.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

Those passes to Highlander are why I'd love to see him on a line with Colborne.

Jarey Curry

Avalanche of Makar
May 2, 2015
Finland

My bet Grigo down to 3C, Dutchy up to 1RW and Ranzie boy up to 2RW. The good thing about this is that some older guy drops down to bottom 6 but we have a hole on the left... Will Colborne have a chemistry good enough with either line to play in the top 6 good?
Colborne Mack Duchene
Landeskog Soderberg Rantanen

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Who will Ranty eat out from our powerplay? Comeau?

c1dd78e76f9b21a22d049c464a1d9789c0bc5221390802d7bb77da50676c6a6c.jpg

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
So happy to see a Grigorenko - Rantanen - MacKinnon line :nod::nod::nod::nod:

I am worried about this line defensively. Also, Grigs CANNOT be passive and happy to be the 3rd wheel on a line. Needs to step up here, because Rants won't just take over games from the get-go.

I'm not totally convinced those practice lines today are what we roll this weekend. I don't expect Soda to be the 4th line center. Then again, that might just be how Chambers put it, because Rene-Soda-Lake seems like more of a 3rd line than Marty-Mitch-JC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad