Mikko Rantanen is the most underrated player in the league (by far)

Status
Not open for further replies.

psycat

Oct 25, 2016
He's going to get the Bäckström treatment. Highly respected by his peers but the media has trouble on focusing on more than the biggest star.
That's just how it goes, it has both pro's and con's.

I would say that treatment already kinda passed to his linemate.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Part of Rants being underrated definitely comes from last season, where he was literally just tapping in a puck from Mack or making a simple pass and getting a point

Early on he looked like Bambi on skates, falling down and making poor plays. But once Mack caught fire, Rants eventually found his game again and hasn't looked back. He's been better than Mack to start this season.

IMO Rants is in the same category as Drai.
Leon Draisatil has done absolutely nothing over any substantial enough sample size to be put in the same tier as Mikko.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Finn 1: Rantanen is really good.
Finn 2: Yeah, what a great player.
Finn 3: Agreed.
Then bring up Pulju and you get a more extensive conversation going on. At least thats my experience. I mean even here Mikko is rarely talked about. I suspect that is going to change once he has another PPG season.

Reactions: Lemonlimey

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
He’s always been in someone’s shadow. His draft year was stacked, but even amongst the Finns, there seemed to be a lot more hype around future 2016 draftees Laine and Puljujarvi. He has a phenomenal ppg season in the AHL, but nobody’s watching because it’s the AHL. Then he gets to Colorado, has a pretty quiet rookie year. The next year, he becomes only the second Av to crack 80 points since Sakic, but it happens the same year MacKinnon hits 97 and is a Hart/Lindsay finalist.

Hopefully people are finally paying him some attention and giving him the credit he deserves.

f1nn

Jan 12, 2004
Espoo, Finland
Because if everyone starts doing it, the. A quarter of the comments just become hockey pool comments.

Is that what we want? A thread full of “he’s doing well for my hockey pool” comments?

There’s a sub forum for that.

Yet you felt the need to force everyone to read through your whining?

Reactions: boyko10

Slap

Sep 28, 2017
I must say I'm surprised by his development. Never imagined he would be this good even in his prime while watching him in Liiga.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I must say I'm surprised by his development. Never imagined he would be this good even in his prime while watching him in Liiga.

Same. I figured he’d peak as 65-70 point winger with solid 2 way ability and average around 60 points a year. This is just incredible.

tuckfurrets

Oct 13, 2018

Same. I figured he’d peak as 65-70 point winger with solid 2 way ability and average around 60 points a year. This is just incredible.

I have to agree with you guys 100%. He just didn’t seem to have any blooming elite qualities before the draft, in my eyes. It’s a surprise that he is beginning to look like such a complete player so quickly, so that fact alone has to make him underrated for a bit.

I think his lower body strength plus the newly found explosiveness in his first few steps, combined with the abilities he already posessed last year, are a real treat to watch.

MrThomas

Oct 31, 2017
Moscow
Mikko Rantanen was already last year the next Finnish NHL player scoring 80+ points after Teemu Selanne.
Still people talking more about Laine and Puljujarvi.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad