Mikko Rantanen is the most underrated player in the league (by far)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
If the Leaf players suck so damn much why are y'all always comparing your players to them? Like it's not enough to make a thread about him, you gotta have several posts just bashing Leaf players apparently.

Reactions: MrThomas

mattydamon

May 2, 2011
Victoria, BC
If the Leaf players suck so damn much why are y'all always comparing your players to them? Like it's not enough to make a thread about him, you gotta have several posts just bashing Leaf players apparently.

Damn son you are a sensitive soul - this thread isn't even about the Leafs. Just ignore posts that are inflammatory otherwise you just rise to the bait and look foolish.

Persecution complexes are not flattering.

Reactions: dukeofjive

Spilot23

Dec 30, 2014
Stop it mate it's a Rantanen thread. For once a thread that doesn't turn into a Leafs thread don't listen to the bashing. You can ignore it, yes you can do it !
giphy.gif

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I have to agree with you guys 100%. He just didn’t seem to have any blooming elite qualities before the draft, in my eyes. It’s a surprise that he is beginning to look like such a complete player so quickly, so that fact alone has to make him underrated for a bit.

I think his lower body strength plus the newly found explosiveness in his first few steps, combined with the abilities he already posessed last year, are a real treat to watch.

I know I’m just being pedantic...but his hands, shot and creativity as a playmaker where there to see once he realized just how good he was at that draft-year WJC...after which he went nearly PPG in Liiga. So I can’t fully agree. Not many were confident that Mikko had PPG in his future, though I remember some of his staunchest supporters were, but that he had too notch skill was clear. Thus the Voracek/Wheeler comps that got thrown out for him right away.

There’s a reason this organization tried to trade up for him and why in the first round of the Rantanen-Nylander polls some of us who watched him in the AHL shocked leafs fans by saying that we thought his ceiling was as high as Marner’s.

Reactions: Lemonlimey

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
Rantanen might be one of the most overrated players in the league. He plays with MacKinnon and that's why he looks good.

Bonzo111

Leafs Fan
Oct 31, 2017
Canaderp
I had a feeling he would be a star when I saw him play for Finland. Kid was completely dominant. Surprised he didn't go higher in his draft. Love his game.

Spilot23

Dec 30, 2014
Rantanen might be one of the most overrated players in the league. He plays with MacKinnon and that's why he looks good.
Well clearly someone hasn't watched another team beside his. If you don't know what you're talking about just don't. Right now it's Rantanen that makes both Mackinnon and Landeskog look good.

Reactions: Lemonlimey

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006

Not true. Mackinnon gives him some points but Rantanen makes things happen all the time.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Damn son you are a sensitive soul - this thread isn't even about the Leafs. Just ignore posts that are inflammatory otherwise you just rise to the bait and look foolish.

Persecution complexes are not flattering.
The op is literally comparing Rantanen to Matthews in the opening post, so yes this thread is about the leafs to a certain extent. It's not a persecution complex. It's the reality of what kind of discussion the OP had in mind.

mattydamon

May 2, 2011
Victoria, BC
The op is literally comparing Rantanen to Matthews in the opening post, so yes this thread is about the leafs to a certain extent. It's not a persecution complex. It's the reality of what kind of discussion the OP had in mind.

At what point did OP post say "leaf players suck so much" or even imply that in his OP? You are reaching bud.

mattydamon

May 2, 2011
Victoria, BC
When did I say anything close to that? You're the one who's reaching

The user I quoted literally complained about people saying "leafs suck so much" - that's where it came from, which you said started from the OP who did nothing of the sort.

Anyway I don't want to derail this thread any more.

Rantanen is a beast, I never realized he was so big until recently where it seems like he is actually using his size to his advantage. I don't really think he's a product of Mac, they just have a dope symbiotic relationship.

Finland seems to be entering some sort of golden age for high end players, definitely this is exciting to see.

Kale Hulls

May 15, 2013
Shouldn't be spoken in the same breath as Matthews and Laine, is say a better comparison is Aho, which is no disrespect at all.

mtlmonk

Apr 21, 2014
He does seem to have hit another level this season. And he was excellent last year. But he's figured out he's 6'4, 215, he's worked on his strength on his skates, and so he's realized he can go out there and use his size to bully guys. Watching him throw his shoulder into guys coming in to hit him on the boards and just toss them off is awesome.
Text book Avalanche Peter Forsberg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->