Player Discussion Mikko Koivu (Part II)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
That's because he didn't play for an expansion team.

That might excuse the first half of his career. The Wild have been around for 20 years now.

The Ottawa Senators were a young franchise and Alfredsson still had more post season success. In fact, the Senators only missed the playoffs 3 years while he was with them

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
I fail to see how it is a requirement to be a huge star or a champion for a team to get his jersey retired. Koivu was the face of your franchise for the majority of your existence, your first captain. Most games played for your team. If that does not get your jersey retired then I'm sorry, your NA sports culture is a JOKE. No wonder you have so little tradition in sports compared to Europe when you have fans with this attitude.

Reactions: Puhis

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
That might excuse the first half of his career. The Wild have been around for 20 years now.
Linden played more than 300 more games than Koivu, but their production is only a little over 100pts different. Koivu even has more assists. Their production is pretty even actually in terms of points or game.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
I fail to see how it is a requirement to be a huge star or a champion for a team to get his jersey retired. Koivu was the face of your franchise for the majority of your existence, your first captain. Most games played for your team. If that does not get your jersey retired then I'm sorry, your NA sports culture is a JOKE. No wonder you have so little tradition in sports compared to Europe when you have fans with this attitude.

Nobody said it was requirement. I was just asking if there was any precedent, that's all.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012

Hot take, tell us more

Reactions: TheeNorthStar

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Linden played more than 300 more games than Koivu, but their production is only a little over 100pts different. Koivu even has more assists. Their production is pretty even actually in terms of points or game.

Linden's post season totals: 124 games 99 points
Koivu's post season totals: 59 games 28 points

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Linden's post season totals: 124 games 99 points
Koivu's post season totals: 59 games 28 points
You can't blame Koivu for Risebrough's failures as a GM.

It's not Koivu's fault that when he was at his peak, he had Brunette and Miettinen as his wingers.

Reactions: mattihp

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012

It's not Koivu's fault that when he was at his peak, he had Brunette and Miettinen as his wingers.

But neither should his jersey be retired for it.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012

Risebrough has been gone for a while now. Koivu hasn't led the Wild past the 1st round of the playoffs in the last 5 years. Can't blame Risebrough for that.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I mean, can we say that Linden's jersey probably shouldn't be retired either?
Some players stature with a franchise far surpasses their overall level as a player.

Koivu and Linden both meant far more to their franchises than stat sheets show imo.

It's why IMO, Koivu is a no brainer for jersey retirement, yet Parise and Suter have virtually no shot.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Some players stature with a franchise far surpasses their overall level as a player.

Koivu and Linden both meant far more to their franchises than stat sheets show imo.

It's why IMO, Koivu is a no brainer for jersey retirement, yet Parise and Suter have virtually no shot.
I rescind what I said. Retiring Parise's number would summarize this team in the worse possible way.

Reactions: JP Flow and TaLoN

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Risebrough has been gone for a while now. Koivu hasn't led the Wild past the 1st round of the playoffs in the last 6 years. Can't blame Risebrough for that.
Was or wasn't Koivu at his peak at that time?

That was when he was a clear top line center. Yes, teams got better around him later, but he wasn't as good of a player later and was miscast as a top line center at that point, the team needed more.

The NHL is not a league where 1 player carries a team. The failings are not all on him like you're implying.

Reactions: Khoenator and Puhis

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I rescind what I said. Retiring Parise's number would summarize this team in the worse possible way.

The fact that you have "retiring" "Parise's" and "number" consecutively in a sentence in an unironic way is a cardinal sin.

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey
As in for the Wild or NA sports as a whole?

Yes the Wild had have very little tradition. We have been mediocre for our whole existence. Never good enough to win a cup, never bad enough to draft game breakers.

Now as NA as a whole this is a brutally false take. American sport trump any European league except for Soccer. Many average Europeans can name at least one American sports team while the average Americans wouldn't be able to name a single European sport league.

The NY Yankees are one of the largest brands in the entire world and I mean all brands not even sports brands.

people around the world know who Micheal jordan was. I can't tell you who the greatest european player every to play in the Spanish basketball league was.

Europeans dream about being about to play in North American leagues. North Americans don't dream about playing in Italy.

Soccer is a different beast. Unfortunately NA doesn't care to watch cross country with a ball.*

*The last statement is a complete joke, I actually love MNUFC. Come on you Loons!

Reactions: zellmatic

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
It’s going to be an absolutely awful look when 9, 11, and 20 are all hanging in the rafter next to the MNWild fans flag

Reactions: MuckOG

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
It’s going to be an absolutely awful look when 9, 11, and 20 are all hanging in the rafter next to the MNWild fans flag

Don't forget 25 when he retires. He played his whole career here, so his number should be retired.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad