Generic User

How's your burger?
Jul 7, 2009
Uncanny Valley
Continue.

A friendly reminder..

1. Be respectful of the other posters.

2. If you disagree with someone you have three options:

A. Write an intelligent and respectful counterargument.
B. If you feel the post violates site rules, hit the report button (the little yield symbol down there) and let a moderator deal with it.
C. Ignore it and move on.

Previous thread

Wild48

Ski U Mah
Nov 10, 2011
Duluth
Sounds Like Koivu is sick now too. So far they think it's just the flu, not mumps. For those that missed the game Koivu sat out the entire 3rd.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
I think the NHL needs to look into implementing vaccination requirements for its players if it hasn't already. Included in those vaccinations should be the old measles-mumps-rubella trifecta, a yearly flu shot, and a couple others I'm probably forgetting.

Even if it's not the mumps all our guys getting knocked out with infections is outright ridiculous.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I think the NHL needs to look into implementing vaccination requirements for its players if it hasn't already. Included in those vaccinations should be the old measles-mumps-rubella trifecta, a yearly flu shot, and a couple others I'm probably forgetting.

Even if it's not the mumps all our guys getting knocked out with infections is outright ridiculous.
Infections are very common in sports, and with hockey having such a frequent schedule, it affects it more than a sport like Football... even though infections happen frequently there as well.

As for making vaccinations mandatory... that goes against their rights as Americans. Not saying I'm against vaccinations, just that some are, and should have their rights respected.

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012

It's extremely unlikely that Koivu hasn't been given all his regular shots. The anti-vaxxor thing is more recent in Finland, wasn't much of a thing in his childhood, not to mention that everyone in the military gets vaccinated (and according to my husband they don't ask which vaccines you want). You can't avoid infections when you're in close quarters with others, even less so if you have small children at home.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
It's extremely unlikely that Koivu hasn't been given all his regular shots. The anti-vaxxor thing is more recent in Finland, wasn't much of a thing in his childhood, not to mention that everyone in the military gets vaccinated (and according to my husband they don't ask which vaccines you want). You can't avoid infections when you're in close quarters with others, even less so if you have small children at home.

Kids are little incubators for infection and just make bugs stronger due to their still developing and under practiced immune systems!

Uberdachen

Posts Last 5 Minutes
Sep 5, 2012
Pants.
As for making vaccinations mandatory... that goes against their rights as Americans. Not saying I'm against vaccinations, just that some are, and should have their rights respected.

Fortunately, this isn't remotely true.

Anyways, you can be vaccinated for the mumps and the flu and still get both, which sounds like it has been the case for a many people coming down with these things.

tomgilbertfan

#WhyBother
Jun 22, 2008
Minnesota

Just because they got the Mumps doesn't mean they didn't get the vaccination as a child, Ballard I know said he was vaccinated. But the antibodies can dwindle as you get older and the mumps virus may be different enough to infect a vaccinated individual. The MMR is typically given to a child when they're really young (1st shot is like a year old, 2nd shot is a year or two after that).

As for the Flu shot, almost every time a player goes out with "flu" they're actually going out with "flu-like symptoms" and they probably have a disease that has similar symptoms but is not actually the flu. And the flu shot only protects against the single strain that's injected, and there are so many different strains the flu shot can only be so effective.

When people are together as much as NHL players, with as much sweat and blood and other bodily fluids all around it's a natural breeding ground for disease.

Just in time for the annual november injury for Koivu.

You can't honestly be blaming Koivu for getting sick?

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
Just because they got the Mumps doesn't mean they didn't get the vaccination as a child, Ballard I know said he was vaccinated. But the antibodies can dwindle as you get older and the mumps virus may be different enough to infect a vaccinated individual. The MMR is typically given to a child when they're really young (1st shot is like a year old, 2nd shot is a year or two after that).

As for the Flu shot, almost every time a player goes out with "flu" they're actually going out with "flu-like symptoms" and they probably have a disease that has similar symptoms but is not actually the flu. And the flu shot only protects against the single strain that's injected, and there are so many different strains the flu shot can only be so effective.

When people are together as much as NHL players, with as much sweat and blood and other bodily fluids all around it's a natural breeding ground for disease.

You can't honestly be blaming Koivu for getting sick?

They can, and they certainly will. Koivu has the flu, or flu-like symptoms? Trade him! Strip him of the C! A real captain wouldn't get sick!

tomgilbertfan

#WhyBother
Jun 22, 2008
Minnesota
His white blood cells just have no battle level at the moment.

TaTdV.gif

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
I was really wondering during that third period if Koivu was benched or hurt/sick.

When Granlund took that 3rd period PK faceoff in the DZone with 3 minutes left, it pretty much confirmed to me even before Yeo's press conference that it was some sort of injury.

Benching or not, Zero chance Koivu isn't on that faceoff if healthy.

countrygentleman

The Kaptain Says ARR
Jan 14, 2010
Minnesota
Just in time for the annual november injury for Koivu.

Yep. If illness is what it takes to finally get Koivu out of the lineup, I'll cough all over the guy. It will be fun to finally see this offense when one like isn't bogged down by Koivu's chain. Vanek is next, but at least he's putting up assists, which is better than nothing like Koivu.

Anyone else see Giroux's goal last night and think to themselves "Wow what a novel concept: a captain scoring a big goal when his team needs it." I can't recall Koivu's last goal, let alone a big goal. As a matter of fact, has he ever scored a big goal in a Minnesota sweater? But hey, at least he can win a faceoff....

Uberdachen

Posts Last 5 Minutes
Sep 5, 2012
Pants.
Yep. If illness is what it takes to finally get Koivu out of the lineup, I'll cough all over the guy. It will be fun to finally see this offense when one like isn't bogged down by Koivu's chain. Vanek is next, but at least he's putting up assists, which is better than nothing like Koivu.

Anyone else see Giroux's goal last night and think to themselves "Wow what a novel concept: a captain scoring a big goal when his team needs it." I can't recall Koivu's last goal, let alone a big goal. As a matter of fact, has he ever scored a big goal in a Minnesota sweater? But hey, at least he can win a faceoff....

Giroux's game-winning goal was definitely frustrating, but I hope you didn't leave before it rained donuts.

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013
I legitimately cannot recall a big goal Koivu has scored. Maybe his goal in game 7 against Colorado to tie it at 1-1 could be considered "big" but not really. Can you please inform me otherwise?

You must be forgetting the clutch goals he scored all last year in November when there was only so many minutes left against Ottawa and Winnipeg there were some other ones but I don't remember the teams. I think he scored one in colorado last year late to tie the game.

Last edited:

Caior89

Mar 31, 2011
Just from the top of my mind, his overtime goals against Florida and Arizona last season, GWG in Ottawa.

Anyways, there is some very important goals in his career, like that one he scored a shorthanded goal and the GWG againt Blues.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
I legitimately cannot recall a big goal Koivu has scored. Maybe his goal in game 7 against Colorado to tie it at 1-1 could be considered "big" but not really. Can you please inform me otherwise?

I mean, what the heck is your criteria for "big"? The first goal (when you're losing) in a game 7 isn't "big"?????

So, you said that Giroux's goal last night, to tie the game, in mid-November, was a big goal. But somehow Koivu's goal, to tie the game, in GAME 7 of a playoff series, is NOT a big goal?

I don't understand that at all....

Go to Google and type: "Mikko Koivu game winning goal" or "Mikko Koivu OT winner" and you'll find a bunch of goals that I would consider "big"

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013
Just from the top of my mind, his overtime goals against Florida and Arizona last season, GWG in Ottawa.

Anyways, there is some very important goals in his career, like that one he scored a shorthanded goal and the GWG againt Blues.

That was Parise in Arizona Koivu won the faceoff. So far from just last season the ones against Ottawa, Winnipeg(late goals). Colorado(tie game late).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad