Player Discussion Mikko Koivu (Part II)

Status
Not open for further replies.

grN1g

Nov 11, 2009
Minnesota
I'll admit its easy for me to dump on Koivu when his games off. I still love him though and want him on the team if he's still got some in him.

a79krgm

Jul 15, 2006
White Bear Lake
www.northstarshockey.com
Koivu was playing some really good hockey when the league shutdown. I have a hard time believing Sturm could match that level of play yet.

I would gladly take Koivu for another year to play on the 4th line on a cheap deal.

And, as an added bonus, Koivu is like having another assistant coach. I don't know how many times it's been rumored that he's straightened out teammates when they are playing poorly, not working hard or doing dumb stuff on the ice. I think there's lot if stuff like that we never hear about.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Koivu would be better than any C not named Staal and Ek, and on some days he'd be better than them. I am all for signing him as long as it is a;
- short term
- somewhere around 2M, but with sizeable bonuses for GP, and points.
- no NMC!

Galchenyuk has had a couple of pretty bad years. Wild are his 4th team, and he is still relatively young. There is a reason that teams move on from him. He should only be signed on a cheap, prove it deal.
Strome has to show a hell of a lot more before he bumps Koivu out of the lineup. He's not even a proven NHL'er at this point. I know that Koivu has slowed down, but some of you are taking him for granted, and giving relative nobodies way too much credit.

If you want bonuses for an over 35 player, it can only be a one year. which solves your first dash.

If its only a 1 year deal, i'm fine with the NMC because he won't need to be protected for expansion as his contract will expire. I have zero issue allowing Koivu not to be traded if he resigns.

Reactions: TaLoN

grN1g

Nov 11, 2009
Minnesota
Yeah NMC or NTC won't matter cause obivously one he won't waive and two hes likely to just retire after and I dont wana do that too him anyway. Hes earned his right to retire playing for one team and im proud hes still committed even after not brining close to a cup after all these years.

Reactions: TaLoN

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Good player, hard to find guys that stick to one organization for their entire career - next stop is up on the rafters.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
cut.jpg

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey
Should they retire his number?
100%, I think its is a sure thing at this point. First true captain, number 1 in many franchise categories, first player to play 1000 Wild games.

However, after him I don't think any Wild player should get their jersey retired unless they are a HoF player for us. However, don't be surprised if Parise and Suter get their numbers retired if they play out their contracts.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Has any other team retired a jersey of a player like Koivu (no championships or real post season success, no HoF, no scoring titles, etc.)?

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Alfreddson? He got the Calder though and King Clancy and Messier.

..and Koivu hasn't won any regular season trophy or award either. Not hatin' on him. Just wondering if it would be lowering the bar to raise his jersey.

It wouldn't bother me to see it happen, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad