Player Discussion Mikko Koivu (Part II)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
I'm sure you guys are right... I'm just one of those "don't count your chickens..." guys. The idea of Mikko in another uniform is appalling to me.

I agree. Can't even imagine him in another one, honestly. It would look... strange. Anyway, it's unlikely the Wild don't tender him an offer, and it's also unlikely he leaves, but never say never. I love my home, and I love a lot of the people here, but for $1.5 million more per year, I'd find a new home!

For the sake of debate, what is Koivu worth right now? $4.5 million / year? More? Less? If his production stays constant next year, I could see a team offering $6 million for one year.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
I agree. Can't even imagine him in another one, honestly. It would look... strange. Anyway, it's unlikely the Wild don't tender him an offer, and it's also unlikely he leaves, but never say never. I love my home, and I love a lot of the people here, but for $1.5 million more per year, I'd find a new home!

For the sake of debate, what is Koivu worth right now? $4.5 million / year? More? Less? If his production stays constant next year, I could see a team offering $6 million for one year.
Koivu has kids and he built this team. He isn't going to want to leave. That doesn't mean Fletcher should try to screw him, but they should make a fair offer and he should accept it.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
I personally think they'd still offer him in the $5-5.5M range. Gotta hope it's like two years max though.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
I like the lower salary with bonus opportunities approach. $3-$4 million + $2 million potential bonuses (reachable, but commiserate with a $5 million center's production).

Sort of what I was thinking. $4.5 million with another possible $2 mil in bonuses. That seems fair to me, but we don't know until the time comes. Basically, I'd set it up where if he plays like a 6.5 million dollar man, he earns that much. I doubt he plays any better than that at that age.

PuckInTheNards

Feb 4, 2008
If for some reason they're out of it at the deadline (could happen with a bad Dubnyk injury), would you trade him as a rental? He'd bring back at least one first...

I would not. I think he means more to the franchise than any other player. The Oilers traded Ryan Smyth and they sucked for more than a decade.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
If Guy Lafleur or Bobby Orr can play for another team, then Mikko Koivu sure as hell can. We've never won more than one playoff series in a year with him. I don't see him as an indispensable part of the team going forward into the 2020's. He's made his money. Unless he leads the team somewhere in the playoffs this year I don't see where he can demand much of a contract going forward.

hirawl

Used Register
Dec 27, 2010
He'll chase his cup just like everyone else does. Be it as a rental or on one year ufa deals. But as long as he sees this team, his team, a contender going forward I've no doubt he'll want to stay to see it through.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
If for some reason they're out of it at the deadline (could happen with a bad Dubnyk injury), would you trade him as a rental? He'd bring back at least one first...

I would not. I think he means more to the franchise than any other player. The Oilers traded Ryan Smyth and they sucked for more than a decade.

The ball would be 100% in his court. If he went to Fletcher and asked to be moved to a contender in that situation, I'm sure Fletcher would accomadate him. If he wanted to Sundin it, and ride it out. Not a whole lot Fletcher could do about it.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
If Guy Lafleur or Bobby Orr can play for another team, then Mikko Koivu sure as hell can. We've never won more than one playoff series in a year with him. I don't see him as an indispensable part of the team going forward into the 2020's. He's made his money. Unless he leads the team somewhere in the playoffs this year I don't see where he can demand much of a contract going forward.

Into the 2020's, no probably not. But 2018 and 2019 he's probably pretty indispensable if we're looking to compete.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I've been pretty hard on Koivu over the years, but I've made my peace with the fact that he has been a really, really good, but not great, player. He is aging pretty well. His size and experience make up for his lack of speed. Good option as a #2C, and maybe in a couple of years, if he stays healthy and interested, a #3C.

The only thing I don't want to see is him playing out there on a 3 v3. You've got to be a skater to play out there in that situation.

I thought there was a cool moment he had with another aging vet, Seabrook. They started to jostle in the crease during a whistle, then they looked at each other, stopped, and just started calmly talking instead. I can just imagine,

" How are the kids?"
" Good. Say, does your back get really stiff on those hotel beds in Philly?"
" Yeah, but I've got a great massage guy for that"

And so on...

Last edited:
Reactions: FVM and Uberdachen

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
i prefer the line from major league , "hows your wife & my kids?" I will always be disappointed koivu didn't turn into a goal scoring machine however he is very good on defense which I do under rate.

Uberdachen

Posts Last 5 Minutes
Sep 5, 2012
Pants.
I've been pretty hard on Koivu over the years, but I've made my peace with the fact that he has been a really, really good, but not great, player. He is aging pretty well. His size and experience make up for his lack of speed. Good option as a #2C, and maybe in a couple of years, if he stays healthy and interested, a #3C.

The only thing I don't want to see is him playing out there on a 3 v3. You've got to be a skater to play out there in that situation.

I thought there was a cool moment he had with another aging vet, Seabrook. They started to jostle in the crease during a whistle, then they looked at each other, stopped, and just started calmly talking instead. I can just imagine,

" How are the kids?"

And so on...

After they discussed their favorite canned breakfast beans, Koivu still being Koivu, he parted with "Gotta go, my damn wiener team's listening. Cancer ya later!"

Binister

Generational User
Feb 7, 2017

" How are the kids?"

And so on...
That's how it goes. From a rascal teen to a family man. :laugh:

Wabit

May 23, 2016
No I only have the standard HD package. Is it a solid bar or does it show the numbers as well?

It's like the old Final Fantasy games boost bar, no numbers just fills up (very slowly) most nights, then resets at 0 after the game. :sarcasm::naughty:

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I don't think he gets angry anymore, just grumpy.
Agreed... I mean, look at his player profile pic these days even.... :sarcasm:

holymoly.jpg

Binister

Generational User
Feb 7, 2017
I miss beastmode Koivu. It used to happen on a regular basis... now it's a rare sight to ever be seen.
He is a seasoned vet :laugh:. Many 35's aren't nearly good as him in two way game. He can still win games for us.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
Loved this snippet from Russo's gamer, referencing Nino's cold streak.

Boudreau tweaked the lines heading into the game and put Niederreiter on the right side of a line with Parise and Koivu. He actually said he did so because the other day Koivu requested that Niederreiter remain on his power-play unit by saying, “Just leave him with me.”

That's a Captain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad