Player Discussion Mikko Koivu (Part II)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
I'm actually a bit upset about that, too. It's not born of surprise (who can be surprised he's going unnoticed again?) but instead out of a desire to see great play get rewarded. The guy never gets the love for the Selke, even though he puts up good points and plays excellent defense. I mean, Chris Draper, John Madden and Mike Peca won this trophy, how does a guy who's clearly superior offensively and just as good defensively get consistently overlooked?

Koivu should go play for Chicago, LA or Boston. They've got a monopoly going.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Story of his career. Even Finns(not ours) don't recognize him for what he is. Too busy fawning over Granlund and Barkov.

Imagine if he had teammates like Zucker and Granlund for his entire career?

THE JAM

Jan 16, 2015
EU
If he gets the Stanley Cup handed to him as the Captain at least once, that would certainly put him top 4 among best Finns of all-time / his brother, Selänne and Kurri are top 3 atm (in no particular order)

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
If he gets the Stanley Cup handed to him as the Captain at least once, that would certainly put him top 4 among best Finns of all-time / his brother, Selänne and Kurri are top 3 atm (in no particular order)

This I think is actually the reason he hasn't won it. The last 5 Selke trophies have gone to guys who have won the cup. The one before those was Ryan Kesler, and before that one it was Datsyuk 3 years straight (cup winner), Brind'Amour twice (cup winner, including the year he won that first one), Draper (cup winner) and Jere Lehtinen (cup winner). So that's 1 Selke in the last 13 years that hasn't gone to someone that hasn't won a cup, though he did get within one game of winning it that year. Probably safe to say there's a Cup bias going on with the voting.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
This I think is actually the reason he hasn't won it. The last 5 Selke trophies have gone to guys who have won the cup. The one before those was Ryan Kesler, and before that one it was Datsyuk 3 years straight (cup winner), Brind'Amour twice (cup winner, including the year he won that first one), Draper (cup winner) and Jere Lehtinen (cup winner). So that's 1 Selke in the last 13 years that hasn't gone to someone that hasn't won a cup, though he did get within one game of winning it that year. Probably safe to say there's a Cup bias going on with the voting.

Exposure from a long Playoff run definitely helps. Name recognition plays a big part in most of the awards.

With the run the Wild are they are going to get more press so that should help the cause for getting votes.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN

Good point.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I think he's figured out that with .granlund on the line he's got to shoot the puck. The whole line has a nice blend of passing, dangling, and shooting right now. They are fun to watch. I think an opponent would be tempted to stick a line on them and hammer them physically, but you can't hit what you can't catch. Granlund isn't fast like Zucker, but they both are quick and agile, and even the old man has a few tricks up his sleeve.

SupremeNachos

Dec 6, 2011
Minnesota
lUDX1HO.gif

If only I could learn to alter gifs this would be so awesome

hirawl

Used Register
Dec 27, 2010
One of the most underrated pair of hands in the league. He doesn't have the ability of million little fancy moves per second but his stick handling is very clean and fast. He uses his long reach and takes the puck from one side of his body to the other quicker than almost anybody I remember.

That forehand - backhand - top shelf SO move is one example. The speed he makes the puck travel some 6 feet from his forehand to backhand is what makes it so effective. Even though every goalie knows it's coming.

The quickness of his stick is also very deceptive and he uses it a lot on the PP to find open passing lanes. Pay attention to how he moves the puck before passing it to a teammate. It's so clean and effortless looking that it kind of gets unnoticed.

Another example is also a sort signature move of his. Coming down the right wing with the puck, getting close to the corner, the D keeping him outside he slows down for a fraction of a second. Then takes the puck way out to his backhand taking one power stride at the same time and beats the D outside and takes it to the front of the net. His footspeed is really not something that beats today's Ds outside. It's the speed and distance the puck travels during the move that makes it possible for him to even try that.

You don't see Koivu mishandling or coughing up the puck much.

DaJackal

Aug 3, 2015
Eastern front
This season Koivu looks like the Koivu I've learned to know from the Finnish NT. A true leader, captain and legit #1C. And I love it.

He is also a faceoff beast, just like seen last night. I think it is an impotant piece for the Wild to have Koivu and Haula who can both consistently win FOs at 55-ish %. In fact I'd love to know his FO% in "tough spots" (yea, I know this is hard to determine). I just mean that I have very rarely seen him lose an important faceoff - like when you are defending a lead during the final minute on 6-on-5.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Congrats to the Captain on 600pts!

BTW - whatever happened to that old Beast Mode Koivu pic with the glowing eyes? Can't find it even on google.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I found this one... but this wasn't THE one we used to use around here...

3TVSz.png

I'm looking for the one based off this same image used here...

hbneOeG.jpg

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
I found this one... but this wasn't THE one we used to use around here...

I'm looking for the one based off this same image used here...

I remember creating that image a couple years ago; lens flared eyes. Can't find it anywhere, though. Think it was lost with my old yfrog account.

Hipster Koivu survived, though.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
My prediction:

1. Bergeron
  2. Kesler
  3. Koivu

Koivu should win; he's got more points than Bergeron. Equal points to Kesler, but much better +/-, not to mention he led the Wild to better regular-season success.

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
My prediction:

1. Bergeron
  2. Kesler
  3. Koivu

Koivu should win; he's got more points than Bergeron. Equal points to Kesler, but much better +/-, not to mention he led the Wild to better regular-season success.

Should be

1. Bergeron
2. Koivu
3. Kesler

Based on turnover statistics Kesler is not in the same league with Koivu, and especially not with Bergeron.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad