Player Discussion Mikko Koivu III

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
This is how I pretty much feel. I just felt like he was taking a shot and throw shade at Minnesota when he should have some responsibility in the postseason failure.

It would be like you running a company that goes bankrupt. Once you leave for another job you tell your new employer, "Yeah my old company wasn't successful they even went bankrupted." completely ignoring the fact that you ran the company.

Of course I'm willing to chalk this quote up as being misinterpreted, but it does come off passive aggressive.

It does; I think the first part is fine, because EVERY player should have the Cup in mind. He is disappointed, which is normal, but I would have liked to see him take more responsibility for the failure. He was captain after all, but Guerin and even Fenton tried as hard as they could to give him the run he was apparently seeking and he decided to stay here.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
People are seeing shots they want to see. Seeing the actual quote makes the nothing comment even more nothing. He took no shots at Minnesota at all.

We all knew he wanted to stay here more than anything, and wanted to win here if he could. He tried, he failed, the team failed around him too.

The team told him he's not allowed back. He shopped his services to a team where his game fits, and looks like they could have a chance for the playoffs, because he still wants to win if he can.

grimmel95

Jan 13, 2016
Minnesota
The way I see it Koivu didn't want to leave. I bet if Guerin had offered a 1yr deal he would have taken it but I'm glad Guerin sent him packing. Guerin seems to be a no nonsense type of GM and is pretty blunt which I really like.

When the first comments came out I was pretty pissed too that Mikko was taking a shot at the Wild considering he was the captain but honestly after seeing the full comments I'm not too bothered by it. Honestly what's he supposed to say about joining a new team that just paid him $1.5 million dollars?

It was time for Mikko to go and I'm glad we're moving on.

Reactions: Al Lagoon

Al Lagoon

Feb 22, 2012
I am happy MK9 is gone. We've lived for years under the mandate the Wild play "the right way," the old Lemaire DNA built in from day one, when Scott Pellerin and Stacy Roest were the offense.

Time to live it up, play hockey, score some $%%^^&&* goals.

Nothing was symbolic to me more than watching Mikko killing penalties, waving his stick back and forth, holding position, marginally effective. That's what he did, and he made a great career of it.

I want offense - BG does too I think.

Reactions: Aurinko

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
If he's really that damn jaded about leaving, as many of you are claiming, then I want him to tell all about the locker room drama and all that other stuff. Give me a Soap Opera damnit!

Reactions: 57special

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Should rename this thread as the Mikko Koivu bashing discussion … he was a exceptional player and leader for the Wild and wanted to stay in Minnesota.

I'm a die hard Wild fan, but I hope Granlund signs with Columbus and Mikko and Granny comeback to St. Paul and kick ass for one game.

He was quite far from exceptional.

Reactions: GordieGallant

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
Should rename this thread as the Mikko Koivu bashing discussion … he was a exceptional player and leader for the Wild and wanted to stay in Minnesota.

I'm a die hard Wild fan, but I hope Granlund signs with Columbus and Mikko and Granny comeback to St. Paul and kick ass for one game.

Just because a player says they want to stay doesn't mean that is truly what the intention is. He could have just been providing lip service, just like dozens of other athletes have done to their "hometown squads" in an attempt to keep their dream alive of playing in the Show...or you know...get paid like an all-star because hometown fans/teams tend to overvalue their draft picks, or in the event that lip service helps facilitate a quicker move to another team who will pay him more because they want to get the player signed before he gets a counter-offer from their original squad.

Based on what GMBG has stated about if players want to stay or leave, he'll figure out a way -- I don't really buy they showed his ass out the door without so much as a pat on the back. I also don't think the Wild low-balled him a Veteran League Min. contract to come back a year. But again, none of know what those discussions between Koivu, his agent, or GMBG were like and if any stipulations were being put on keeping him here.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Just because a player says they want to stay doesn't mean that is truly what the intention is. He could have just been providing lip service, just like dozens of other athletes have done to their "hometown squads" in an attempt to keep their dream alive of playing in the Show...or you know...get paid like an all-star because hometown fans/teams tend to overvalue their draft picks, or in the event that lip service helps facilitate a quicker move to another team who will pay him more because they want to get the player signed before he gets a counter-offer from their original squad.

Based on what GMBG has stated about if players want to stay or leave, he'll figure out a way -- I don't really buy they showed his ass out the door without so much as a pat on the back. I also don't think the Wild low-balled him a Veteran League Min. contract to come back a year. But again, none of know what those discussions between Koivu, his agent, or GMBG were like and if any stipulations were being put on keeping him here.
It's not lip service if the player uses his NMC to prevent being traded away.

Also, GMBG flat out said the Wild would not be offering Koivu a contract. So they didn't lowball him, they didn't offer anything at all in the first place. They did offer an off ice position if he retired, but were not offering a player contract.

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
There is a consensus that Wild can do without him. Him leaving is part of the facelift and it gives the team a freedom to develop their identity.

What goes to CBJ and Koivu, there could not be a better team for him at this point in time. He plays exactly the kind of hockey Tortorella demands and will fit in like a glove, unlike the likes of Panarin and Dubois have done.

Helvinutt

Sep 4, 2014
I'll probably always have Mikko as my favourite Hockey Player. Looking across at the NHL from the UK in 2013 I picked the team to support based on their 'star' and logo. His steely determination, quiet off ice demeanor and what I felt was a lack of appreciation for his 2-way game across the league at that time made him the unwavering number one for me, whether he really ever fit the star status or not. Also quite fond of the logo personally.

There's lots about his game I'll still miss in the bottom 6, but I'm happy to see him go to a team that should benefit from his effectiveness. I hope he still gets some 2nd unit PP time to play those hard pass assists into the centre of the slot and has a few shoot-out opportunities for his signature move. For the Wild it cements Ek's opportunity to expand his role in the team which I think his development in the last year warrants. Koivu's comments are fine - best of luck to him and I hope Granlund joins him there too.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
It's not lip service if the player uses his NMC to prevent being traded away.

Also, GMBG flat out said the Wild would not be offering Koivu a contract. So they didn't lowball him, they didn't offer anything at all in the first place. They did offer an off ice position if he retired, but were not offering a player contract.

So you were part of any of those discussions prior to that announcement? Or are we going on the notion that Guerin and Koiuv/Agent were in no comms with the org prior to the end of the season OR when they left the bubble to get home.

Additionally, a point of devils advocate, some players may not want to be traded at the deadline for fear it is to another team where they don't want to play at all OR because they know how hard it is to come to a new team at the deadline and try to learn a potentially new system while trying to adjust to a new living environment. That doesn't mean Koiuv didn't want to be here, but you can't base it in a 100% certainty that it was because "he loved the Wild" or "Minnesota is a second home" type mentality. He has watched countless traded players come to the Wild and do absolutely Jack Squat. Who knows if that was a reason as well...

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
So you were part of any of those discussions prior to that announcement? Or are we going on the notion that Guerin and Koiuv/Agent were in no comms with the org prior to the end of the season OR when they left the bubble to get home.

Additionally, a point of devils advocate, some players may not want to be traded at the deadline for fear it is to another team where they don't want to play at all OR because they know how hard it is to come to a new team at the deadline and try to learn a potentially new system while trying to adjust to a new living environment. That doesn't mean Koiuv didn't want to be here, but you can't base it in a 100% certainty that it was because "he loved the Wild" or "Minnesota is a second home" type mentality. He has watched countless traded players come to the Wild and do absolutely Jack Squat. Who knows if that was a reason as well...
When you even have his brother talking to the media about how important it is to Mikko that he had only played for a single franchise, you can rest assured it was important to him.

You can ignore all the signs of you want, but they're still there and we can tell it wasn't just lip service.

Mikko wanted to play here first and foremost if he could.

Reactions: pfunk and HotDish

pfunk

Jul 1, 2019

Years of reporting and interviews with Mikko himself clearly point to him being an incredibly loyal player. To his teammates, to his organization, and especially to his fans.

Quite frankly I think it is sad how some fans try to find every opportunity they can to question Mikko’s motivations or his loyalty. To act like he is selfish to have not waived his NMC is absurdity. To act like he doesnt care about the wild organization because he chose not to waive, therefore costing us future assets, is beyond the pale.

The guy was a fierce competitor for us. He was dedicated to this team and these fans. He wanted to bring a cup here and he wasn’t gonna stray from that goal. Anyone who has paid any attention for the last 15+ years knows this. Some others choose to cook up other BS that is not grounded in anything. The way his comments were interpreted here just go to show a lot of people are bitter towards Koivu, and I don’t get it. There are plenty of athletes like him that gave all they could and loved their teams but could never bring a championship. Sad how fans always gotta shoulder that blame on one guy.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
Years of reporting and interviews with Mikko himself clearly point to him being an incredibly loyal player. To his teammates, to his organization, and especially to his fans.

Quite frankly I think it is sad how some fans try to find every opportunity they can to question Mikko’s motivations or his loyalty. To act like he is selfish to have not waived his NMC is absurdity. To act like he doesnt care about the wild organization because he chose not to waive, therefore costing us future assets, is beyond the pale.

The guy was a fierce competitor for us. He was dedicated to this team and these fans. He wanted to bring a cup here and he wasn’t gonna stray from that goal. Anyone who has paid any attention for the last 15+ years knows this. Some others choose to cook up other BS that is not grounded in anything. The way his comments were interpreted here just go to show a lot of people are bitter towards Koivu, and I don’t get it. There are plenty of athletes like him that gave all they could and loved their teams but could never bring a championship. Sad how fans always gotta shoulder that blame on one guy.

I dont' know of anyone who puts the entire franchises woes on Koivu's back and merely his burden to carry. Quite the contrary. It appears more lay blame on the GM's ineptitude to attract Free Agents, retain great players, and provide strong draft classes. Koivu is the unfortunate player that will be put into the group of great players that just couldn't get it done. As a fan, I lay blame in a crapload of lackluster rosters put together that just never panned out during his career. For whatever the reason, some of the moves just didn't work out as they looked on paper.

Al Lagoon

Feb 22, 2012
I guess seeing him in Finnish uniforms over the years makes this not so strange as I expected. Debuts tomorrow.
cut.jpg

NHL1674

Whatever...
Sponsor
Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
Wanted to see him retire instead of playing elsewhere. Seeing him in another jersey just sucks arse. Period.

Reactions: TaLoN

NHL1674

Whatever...
Sponsor
Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
Can't wait for Russo to post every time he gets a point like he used to do with Haula for several years. :sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad