Player Discussion Mikko Koivu III

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey
I can see both sides and I have been on both sides of to retire or not to.

In a perfect world I would only want HoF players to get retired. If you want to start some type of ring of honor for player like Koivu ok, however I am not in favor of ring of honors.

I'm willing to make an exception for Koivu since I do believe he was the face of the franchise, first player to play 1000 games in a Wild sweater, first full time captain.

I have no issues of retiring #9. I just also don't want to set the precedent and suddenly we need to retire Suter and Parise because of Koivu.

SomethingGeneric

Sep 25, 2014

In a perfect world I would only want HoF players to get retired. If you want to start some type of ring of honor for player like Koivu ok, however I am not in favor of ring of honors.

I'm willing to make an exception for Koivu since I do believe he was the face of the franchise, first player to play 1000 games in a Wild sweater, first full time captain.

I have no issues of retiring #9. I just also don't want to set the precedent and suddenly we need to retire Suter and Parise because of Koivu.
I'm here as well. Is Koivu someone who gets their number retired on the blackhawks or the canadians? No. But we aren't them. You have to set the bar somewhere. Then the next players in line have to beat that bar and set it higher. Koivu is currently the leader in Games played, Assists, Pts, +/-, goals created, 2nd in goals, long time captain (captained some of our best teams), all while being a selke like player (whether he got the accolades or not who cares watch the game). So yeah, all in all Koivu is the perfect player to have his number retired by the wild, good but not good enough. Maybe 20 years from now Kap or Rossi or someone will go into the hall or win a cup or whatever but that's not a reality right now. Then the 2nd thing is that just because Koivu gets in does not mean that Parise will. Only thing he's gonna beat Mikko in is goals. Perfect example of how the players that came after Mikko didn't get the job done and won't be in, problem solved.

Reactions: _Del_

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN

Suter and Parise didn't spend their whole career with MN, but came in to grab the cash. Parise has been a disappointment, and will become even more of one as he finishes out his contract. IMO, he is nowhere near Koivu in terms of what he has meant to this organization. Suter is a different case, but I still don't think he is emblematic of the Wild the way Koivu is.

If you give Koivu an honor, I don't think that MN will be in any way obligated to give the same honor to those two, unless something really good happens in the next few years.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Suter and Parise didn't spend their whole career with MN, but came in to grab the cash. Parise has been a disappointment, and will become even more of one as he finishes out his contract. IMO, he is nowhere near Koivu in terms of what he has meant to this organization. Suter is a different case, but I still don't think he is emblematic of the Wild the way Koivu is.

If you give Koivu an honor, I don't think that MN will be in any way obligated to give the same honor to those two, unless something really good happens in the next few years.

Neither did Koivu.

And he was compensated terrifically to stay here.

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey

You'd be surprised how many casual fans are in love with Parise and Suter. The moment that they both retire you'll have fans clamoring to get them in the rafters.

I can see the arguments for parise already : Parise is the greatest Minnesotan goal scorer in NHL history he has to go up.

Now I think Suter might be a HoF player. no doubt if he finishes his contract without retiring. I wouldn't hate seeing Suter being the first in the rafters especially if he is a HoF lock at the end of his contract.

123TripleDoge

Nov 24, 2014

They could've made more elsewhere

Reactions: HotDish

nstarjim

Jul 5, 2018
I thought he was glad he'd finally see playoff games there unlike when he was our C...:laugh:

Wasted Talent

Sponsor
Aug 9, 2011
I thought he was glad he'd finally see playoff games there unlike when he was our C...:laugh:

Not sure if CBJ is the right team to boast about playoff success. Didn't they get their first ever playoff series win like two years ago?

They didn't even win a playoff game until 2014 and they entered the league the same time as Wild.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Not retiring a number like 9 for a player like Koivu. He should have stuck with 21, or tried something weird like 78, and it would have gotten more traction.

That said, I fully expect the organization that retired 1 for "the fans" to retire 9 in the next couple seasons.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I'm here as well. Is Koivu someone who gets their number retired on the blackhawks or the canadians? No. But we aren't them.
Outside fan, but that's where I'd land. Consummate pro, and face of the franchise. Nothing wrong with hanging his number when you don't have the advantage of a franchise history to . Even if it's just honoured and not officially retired, I doubt anyone uses it in the near future.

Coyotes use "honoured" numbers which aren't taken out of circulation, and they throw anybody up there. It would bother me id the franchise had a history, but they don't. Hell, they even threw Ducky, Hull, and Steen up there.

AKL said:
That said, I fully expect the organization that retired 1 for "the fans" to retire 9 in the next couple seasons.
That's hysterical. Did not know that.

The Coyotes hung a "Pacific Division Winner" -banner -- I'm not casting stones. :biglaugh:

Reactions: SomethingGeneric

MoeTheHobo

Jan 24, 2017
sKmff4i.png

Reactions: Wild11MN

Al Lagoon

Feb 22, 2012
My problem with raising Koivu's 9 to the rafters: he won nothing, individually or teamwise.

Look at the Twins retired numbers: championships mainly, but awards of individual excellence as well: Batting titles, RBI titles, HR titles, Cy Youngs.

Longevity is noteworthy, but if is a career to good to mediocre, why honor that?

Haha, I remember people talking about 37 being retired after Walz retired.

Be patient: you will know number retirement when you see it. Mikko ain't it.

Reactions: MuckOG

Winland

Mar 5, 2016
So the readers of The Athletic voted Marian Gaborik as the all time Wild player.

He had a long and succesful career and I can't think of anybody else deserving that honor.

...wait :huh:

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
So the readers of The Athletic voted Marian Gaborik as the all time Wild player.

He had a long and succesful career and I can't think of anybody else deserving that honor.

Gaborik was the better player, nothing wrong with that pick.

Reactions: BagHead

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN

Gaborik was the better player, nothing wrong with that pick.

Yeah, I mean Koivu is beloved because he was a captain, a center(!), and stayed with the Wild for his entire career, not counting a forgettable 7 games in Colombus. But, if we're talking skill, no one else has come close to Gaborik. So I guess it comes down to "best" or "biggest impact" when deciding to vote, and "best" won this time.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Yeah, I mean Koivu is beloved because he was a captain, a center(!), and stayed with the Wild for his entire career, not counting a forgettable 7 games in Colombus. But, if we're talking skill, no one else has come close to Gaborik. So I guess it comes down to "best" or "biggest impact" when deciding to vote, and "best" won this time.
It's still Suter any way you want to slice it

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->