Player Discussion Mikko Koivu III

Victorious Secret

2024 Lottery Winner
Jul 18, 2011
Matt's Meat Market
250 players have played a game for the Wild... Boogaard probably isn't in the top 240 of best players.

In Franchise History: 102nd in points, 36th in games, 3rd in PIMs, 1st in our hearts. 1st in playoff PIMs

Maybe not top 240 best, most talented, players. Definitely in the top 240 players to play in the franchise's history.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
In Franchise History: 102nd in points, 36th in games, 3rd in PIMs, 1st in our hearts. 1st in playoff PIMs

Maybe not top 240 best, most talented, players. Definitely in the top 240 players to play in the franchise's history.

207th in PPG behind offensive forces like like Nate Prosser... He's got Konopka, and John Scott beat atleast.

Reactions: Victorious Secret

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey
Mikko Koivu visited a Finnish podcast and revealed his dream linemates (amongst players he played with in the NHL). : hockey (reddit.com)

Koivu retired a little over a week ago with a career spanning 16 season in the NHL. When asked to form his dream line consisting of players Koivu played with, Mikko made the following choices and remarks.

Goalie: Niklas Bäckström (no, not the Swedish centre you dumbasses).

Defenders: Brent Burns. Mikko was not willing to directly criticize Minnesota trading Burns to San Jose, but stated that this one did not go well for them, as Burns was an exceptional talent and he could have helped the team in the long term. Pairing Burns, Mikko would have had Nick Schultz. He said it was unique how easy, confident and good it was to play with Schultz.

Wingers: Marian Gaborik. "An exceptional superstar". Mikko has not seen such speed since, and he looked up to Gaborik in his early years at Minnesota. "He was just super talented". On the other wing Koivu would had Andrew Brunette. Not because of his speed, but because his ass is a giant immovable object in front of the goal.

Source: Kimanttia podcast, 18 February 2021. (Podcast in Finnish, hosted by commentator Antti Mäkinen and NHL legend Kimmo Timonen).

Reactions: fgobuzz

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Nick Schultz? Kind of interesting that all of his choices were of players that are long gone from the team. Not naming Parise or Suter speaks volumes, to me.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Nick Schultz? Kind of interesting that all of his choices were of players that are long gone from the team. Not naming Parise or Suter speaks volumes, to me.

More so Suter. One can make a legitimate case of wanting Gaborik and Brunette over Parise.....but Nick Schultz over Suter? Yeah, that's a snub for sure.

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
I prefer the more sinister explanation.....
Mister-Sinister-Marvel-Comics-X-Men.jpg

Prior

Jan 18, 2020

Nick Schultz is legitimately his best, non-Finnish, friend. Don’t think it is anything more to do than that.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
good to know that even koivu hated the burns deal. UGHHHHHH can you imagine if we wouldve had burns with suter all this time
I think there is a decent chance Brent Burns doesn't become Norris Winning Brent Burns in Minnesota. It was that season playing wing with Thornton that really kind of exploded his offensive confidence that he was able to maintain once he went back to D.

That probably doesn't happen here.

Reactions: thestonedkoala

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
good to know that even koivu hated the burns deal. UGHHHHHH can you imagine if we wouldve had burns with suter all this time

If I recall correctly, Fletcher said that the only way to get Suter was to move Burns. Couldn't afford to give Burns, Parise and Suter all big money deals at the same time.

Reactions: BagHead

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
If I recall correctly, Fletcher said that the only way to get Suter was to move Burns. Couldn't afford to give Burns, Parise and Suter all big money deals at the same time.
Fletcher made a huge mistake; as good as Koivu was, he wasn't worth more than 11% of the cap, especially since they were extending him.

The other thing I can recall is that Burns was blindsided by the trade because they never had a discussion regarding an extension. Fletcher just decided Burns would be too hard to sign back, had made the panic signing of Koivu and Havlat and decided he didn't want Burns to turn into a Gaborik situation, so he traded him for what he could.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad