Player Discussion Mikko Koivu III

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey
How the hell does anyone justify Mikko crying about playoff failure when he was our Captain.

And I'm not a Koivu detractor at all, normally stand up for the guy tbh but this is some bs lol
That’s my issue with it. I have no issue him playing for other teams or going for a cup run. I don’t mind that he didn’t waive at the TDL.

however, his comments sound like a dig at his old team which he was the captain of. It not that big of a deal, but come on say something like “I’m excited to play for the blue jackets because I think they have a shot at going deep this coming season, I wish I could’ve won a cup in Minnesota, but things don’t always work out.”

Yeolo

Apr 11, 2014
Imagine complaining about a lack of playoff success when YOU were the captain and had to be OVERPAYED
Every.Single.Year except maybe one or two seasons where he was worth his contract.

The BIGGEST common denominator in the lack of success for Minnesota was Koivu. Did they make it to the western conference finals before he came?

Bum player and his wife would say he's a bum person.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
You want to win," Koivu said. "I never got a chance to go far in the playoffs. That's my No.1 goal as an individual, and I think you realize that more and more once you get a little more experience and you see the teams [and] players having that success as a team and that's something that drives me right now and that's the reason why I signed with Columbus."

Found the actual quote. A lot better, but still doesn't sit well as the second half comes off pretty bitter to me.

NHL1674

Whatever...
Sponsor
Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
He ain't wrong. Yeah, he could have been better. But it's the truth.

That said, don't know what the hell he's expecting looking at the Jackets' postseason history.

Reactions: thestonedkoala

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
He ain't wrong. Yeah, he could have been better. But it's the truth.

That said, don't know what the hell he's expecting looking at the Jackets' postseason history.

Expecting them to break through. My thought is that Jarmo and him are close.

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
Until recently the Wild have played the way Mikko wanted, Lemaire style defense.

It was maybe 5-6 years ago when they had some "internal crisis" with Suter, Parise and Koivu where Parise even hired his own skating coach etc. I would bet my hat off that it had something to do with the way Mikko demanded the forwards played defense. In some interview Granlund said that after he made a defensive mistake Mikko didn't talk to him for two weeks, and other former teammates have told about similar stories about Mikko. Because he wants to play the certain way, I would think CBJ and Isles were pretty good candidates for him, since they do seem to that kind of defensive hockey.

gwh

Mar 4, 2013
The actual comments are here. This was apparently a video call with a bunch of reporters and some hack called Porzline that can't quote correctly.

"You want to win," Koivu said. "I never got a chance to go far in the playoffs. That's my No.1 goal as an individual, and I think you realize that more and more once you get a little more experience and you see the teams [and] players having that success as a team and that's something that drives me right now and that's the reason why I signed with Columbus."

https://www.startribune.com/mikko-k...allenge-with-columbus-blue-jackets/572702171/

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
You want to win," Koivu said. "I never got a chance to go far in the playoffs. That's my No.1 goal as an individual, and I think you realize that more and more once you get a little more experience and you see the teams [and] players having that success as a team and that's something that drives me right now and that's the reason why I signed with Columbus."

Found the actual quote. A lot better, but still doesn't sit well as the second half comes off pretty bitter to me.

I think it depends how you read it. Honestly, I can read it as Koivu being bitter, or I can take that type of inflection out of it and read it as a fact: he signed specifically with Columbus because they're one of the teams he thinks has a chance. Read between the lines all you (the general "you", not you TSK) want, but he didn't say anything specifically about the Wild. I think his feelings are understandable, even if he is partially to blame for the lack of success. And mind you, he is only partially to blame.

There's a lot of feelings in this thread that are getting hurt, and based on his actual quote, I don't think Koivu really meant to hurt them.

If getting "a chance to go far in the playoffs" is his #1 goal as he says, then why wouldn't he allow Guerin to deal him to a contender at the TDL when he had a chance?

Because it was his #2 goal at that time? It didn't seem to become his #1 goal until we took his other #1 goal away by not allowing him to re-sign with us.

Reactions: TaLoN

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey
Reddit has some gold memes currently,

js9ccvnueks51.jpg

in3mdqphcks51.jpg

TheeNorthStar

Ok, dis hockey
Jun 2, 2012
MSP
If getting "a chance to go far in the playoffs" is his #1 goal as he says, then why wouldn't he allow Guerin to deal him to a contender at the TDL when he had a chance?
hE c0uLdNt iMagInE hIms3Lf wEaRinG a dIfFeRenT sWeAteR

I wouldn’t doubt Mikkos pride and ego caused him to turn down a chance to go to a contender out of spite.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
This is being taken way out of context. The man interviewed the same way here - blunt, honest, and stubborn.
Now all of a sudden we want to spin his words? Miss me with that BS.

Ultimately, I think his actions vs his words don't match up here. Furthermore, the way it's put, he is definitely throwing some shade at Minnesota without taking a lot of responsibility back.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
I don't understand the people in here getting hurt by Koivu not wanting to leave Minnesota, and then getting upset about him going somewhere else when Minnesota were the ones that told him to get lost. How many of you were upset back in the day when Gaborik wanted to get out of Minnesota and made it obvious? Then you have a player do the exact opposite and you get mad about that, too?

It's like if someone breaks up with their girlfriend, then gets mad when the girlfriend finds a new guy to be with. SMH.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
I don't understand the people in here getting hurt by Koivu not wanting to leave Minnesota, and then getting upset about him going somewhere else when Minnesota were the ones that told him to get lost. How many of you were upset back in the day when Gaborik wanted to get out of Minnesota and made it obvious? Then you have a player do the exact opposite and you get mad about that, too?

It's like if someone breaks up with their girlfriend, then gets mad when the girlfriend finds a new guy to be with. SMH.

Personally, I'm not upset or hurt by his decision at all. I was never the biggest Koivu fan in the first place. Just pointing out the inconsistencies in his positions then and now, that's all. He's free to change his mind, but we should be free to call him out on it as well.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Personally, I'm not upset or hurt by his decision at all. I was never the biggest Koivu fan in the first place. Just pointing out the inconsistencies in his positions then and now, that's all. He's free to change his mind, but we should be free to call him out on it as well.

That's fair, and you're right that it's fair game. I just personally don't see it so much as his changing his mind, as much as us not letting him stay. The Wild sort of changed his mind for him, didn't they?

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
We are mad at Mikko because Guerin told him there was no spot on the team for him?

pfunk

Jul 1, 2019
Man i do not understand how this statement is coming across to a lot of folks here. Koivu isnt saying anyone is to blame for the past inability to advance deep into the playoffs. Never said he wasn’t to blame in part. Simply saying he has seen others have that success, that it didn’t happen in Minnesota, and he now wants to chase it elsewhere (we didnt want him back).
And as far as why he wouldnt take a trade at the TDL... it’s completely bogus for people here to compare these 2 situations. Only one requires he walk out on his team which is clawing for a playoff spot. Get real.

Reactions: Eye Floater

pfunk

Jul 1, 2019

Um, because his team was fighting for a playoff spot and a very hot team at the time? It isn’t an inconsistency for Koivu to decline to be traded at the TDL and now say he wants to go deep into the playoffs and Minnesota wasn’t able to do that.

It would be a way bigger slap in the face to his team to leave at the TDL while they were fighting to get into the playoffs than it is to say he is jealous of seeing other players do it and he wants to continue to try to do that with a team who wants him to be a part of it. Minnesota bailed on Koivu, not the other way around.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
I don't understand the people in here getting hurt by Koivu not wanting to leave Minnesota, and then getting upset about him going somewhere else when Minnesota were the ones that told him to get lost.

From my understanding that's not at all why Minnesota fans are upset. No one is upset that Koivu left, in fact I believe some wanted him to leave earlier to try and get a Cup, but it was time for the Wild and Koivu to part.

It's the little shots that he took when leaving that has some people upset. He was a big reason why Minnesota never made it far in the playoffs, between his contract, his disappearing act in the playoffs and the fact that up until last season was the guy that averaged some of the highest ice time even though everyone and their dog knew Koivu was slow and was pretty ineffective offensive wise.

How many of you were upset back in the day when Gaborik wanted to get out of Minnesota and made it obvious? Then you have a player do the exact opposite and you get mad about that, too?

Gaborik vs Koivu is different, as Risebrough messed that up and Gaborik was not in his prime.

More like it's like you kept your girlfriend around simply because you were afraid of change and she isn't bad, but you could do better. She's a bit high maintenance and needy. You introduce her to a couple friends that are better for her, and interested in her. You hint it might be best to break up, but she doesn't want to. You decide to swallow the bullet and break up with her, and she immediately goes to another guy, who is just like you. She says, it was for the best, but sometimes you just need to get out there and find someone new, because it wasn't me, it was him that was the problem in the relationship.

Reactions: TheeNorthStar

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey
From my understanding that's not at all why Minnesota fans are upset. No one is upset that Koivu left, in fact I believe some wanted him to leave earlier to try and get a Cup, but it was time for the Wild and Koivu to part.

It's the little shots that he took when leaving that has some people upset. He was a big reason why Minnesota never made it far in the playoffs, between his contract, his disappearing act in the playoffs and the fact that up until last season was the guy that averaged some of the highest ice time even though everyone and their dog knew Koivu was slow and was pretty ineffective offensive wise.

This is how I pretty much feel. I just felt like he was taking a shot and throw shade at Minnesota when he should have some responsibility in the postseason failure.

It would be like you running a company that goes bankrupt. Once you leave for another job you tell your new employer, "Yeah my old company wasn't successful they even went bankrupted." completely ignoring the fact that you ran the company.

Of course I'm willing to chalk this quote up as being misinterpreted, but it does come off passive aggressive.

More like it's like you kept your girlfriend around simply because you were afraid of change and she isn't bad, but you could do better. She's a bit high maintenance and needy. You introduce her to a couple friends that are better for her, and interested in her. You hint it might be best to break up, but she doesn't want to. You decide to swallow the bullet and break up with her, and she immediately goes to another guy, who is just like you. She says, it was for the best, but sometimes you just need to get out there and find someone new, because it wasn't me, it was him that was the problem in the relationship.

:biglaugh:God this reminds me so much of one of my old exs and how our breakup went.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad