Mikheyev - - stay or go?

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
If we can afford it, I'd love to have a fourth line of
Mikheyev - Engvall - Simmonds

Mikheyev and Engvall have limited offensive upside, hopefully, Simmonds can bang in some of their shots, but the line overall would not be a liability defensively, and they have the ability to burn some teams with speed.

Let Spezza play up the lineup a little assuming he doesn't look out of place

Would be nice if we could afford $3.6M for an entire forward line.

Reactions: CDN24

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Looks like we will have a better one for even cheaper, Dubas is doing wonders, you must hate it.

Hope so. While I don't much care for Kid Kyle, I do want the team to succeed and for that to happen, he needs to right.

If he can get the Leafs to at least the Final Four, I'll give him the same credit I give his predecessor for doing so the past two years.

Reactions: banks and Aus34Matt

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I got no problem with any of Engvall, Mik, Spezza, Simmonds, Kerfoot and Kampf. My problem is with them as a whole in our top 12.

Reactions: banks

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Hope so. While I don't much care for Kid Kyle, I do want the team to succeed and for that to happen, he needs to right.

If he can get the Leafs to at least the Final Four, I'll give him the same credit I give his predecessor for doing so the past two years.

While most of the good teams feasted the past 2 weeks, we had to settle for leftovers. I want to see the team win as well but I am not setting myself up for another letdown.

Reactions: egd27

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
While most of the good teams feasted the past 2 weeks, we had to settle for leftovers. I want to see the team win as well but I am not setting myself up for another letdown.
What good teams do you think "feasted"?

Tampa lost their entire third line which was huge. Vegas lost a vezina winner. Nyi hasn't announced any signing trying to protect any RFA/ trade assets. Boston lost their starter and 2c. Colorado is already down their first to replace their departed starter.

Reactions: Dekes For Days

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
What good teams do you think "feasted"?

Bruins, Avs, Vegas, Hawks (on the cusp), Habs, Florida, Jets, Oilers, Rangers. Some bad teams were also able to make some good pickups like NJ, Vancouver, Detroit, LA, Dallas, Seattle, CBJ.

Without trading a big contract, Leafs were not in a good position to grab any of the top UFAs. As such we settled for the leftovers.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
I got no problem with any of Engvall, Mik, Spezza, Simmonds, Kerfoot and Kampf. My problem is with them as a whole in our top 12.

The club basically needs 1 of Bunting, Kase, or Ritchie to turn into a legitimate top-six player next to Matthews/Marner. Kerfoot is already a top-six winger plugged next to Tavares/Nylander.

If the former happens, then the rest of the bottom-six will be slotted into appropriate roles nicely.

Reactions: 4thline

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Bruins, Avs, Vegas, Hawks (on the cusp), Habs, Florida, Jets, Oilers, Rangers. Some bad teams were also able to make some good pickups like NJ, Vancouver, Detroit, LA, Dallas, Seattle, CBJ.

Without trading a big contract, Leafs were not in a good position to grab any of the top UFAs. As such we settled for the leftovers.
Really tough to say the Bruins are better down Rask and Krejci.

Avs replaced their starter at a big cost and haven't done much other than lose Donskoi that I can remember.

Vegas lost their Vezina winner in a cap dump, who am I forgetting that they added?

Rest feel like middle tier teams to me, not teams I would have considered contenders. If you want to argue the Habs they're down their #1D and starting goalie from the big, unexpected, playoff run.

I like what some other teams have done, but it felt like a redistribution of wealth offseason instead of the rich getting richer.

Reactions: ToneDog

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
At this point anyone that has a problem with our depth group should probably accept that either
A- they have unreasonable expectations/ grass is greener syndrome
or
B- would prefer a group that's lighter on 1st talent but heavier on 2nd.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
The club basically needs 1 of Bunting, Kase, or Ritchie to turn into a legitimate top-six player next to Matthews/Marner. Kerfoot is already a top-six winger plugged next to Tavares/Nylander.

If the former happens, then the rest of the bottom-six will be slotted into appropriate roles nicely.

That would be your Hyman replacement which would be a downgrade.
Tavares line should be better with Kerfoot over Gally. Bottom 6 should be better with the loss of Jumbo. We'll have to wait to see if it is enough to win a round.

WilliamInLondon

Mar 24, 2016
I'd give the kid one more season, personally. He was playing really good hockey before his injury two seasons ago. His cap hit is also minor.

Give him the full 82 games and see how he performs next season under normality - he does a lot of really good things well enough at the right price point to justify the roster spot, unless there's a clear candidate to fill the role who can be better for equal or less money.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
That would be your Hyman replacement which would be a downgrade.
Tavares line should be better with Kerfoot over Gally. Bottom 6 should be better with the loss of Jumbo. We'll have to wait to see if it is enough to win a round.

I agree it's a downgrade, but a team with (what should be) 4 elite forwards needs to utilize cheap players as complementary "plug-ins". It is what it is. If AM/MM can't elevate someone to legit top-six status, the club doesn't have a hope anyway.

I actually am optimistic about Bunting. All of his goals, and most of his shots/chances comes from the net front/low slot area. He's not afraid to dig and get in dirty areas. I think he can replace some of what Hyman provided. If Kase is actually healthy (it's unclear if he'll really be able to continue his career), then I think he's a player too.

Bunting - Matthews - Marner
Kerfoot - Tavares - Nylander
Kase - Kampf - Spezza
Ritchie/Simmonds - Engvall - Mikheyev

Brooks & Anderson first call-up options.

Reactions: ToneDog

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Before his wrist injury where his tendon was damaged he was on pace for something like 15 goals back in 2019-20. So the way he can get on a gallop and generate opportunities for himself I say you keep him hoping he has a career year or two like a Nik Kulemin in the next few seasons.

Reactions: bossram

Ashdown2

Aug 19, 2006
you cant trade him now.
hes probably our best PKer after marner.

he will score on his pk chances this year !!!! lol

Reactions: bossram

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
Micheyev does so much right, its just a matter of time before he figures out how to finish. This was a guy that showed zero signs of lack of finish prior to his wrist injury. Have to figure there is a bit of a learning curve handling the puck and shooting thereafter. Ilya is an extremely hard working player on and off the ice. This is a guy I am not keen on moving on from. He is a very intelligent player and can absolutely fly. I really think him and Kampf are going to be an absolute terror to play against. I still think Ilya can return to his pre-injury form. His shot is the only thing that has really suffered, and I think he will slowly get that back. Not a chance in hell he shoots at less than 6.5% again next year. He generates far too many high danger chances to be continually held off the score sheet like last year.

iHDCF - Any high danger scoring chance by the player, outside of the shootout

upload_2021-8-3_12-9-58.png

there is just no f***ing way KD is going to trade an analytic darling like this. And even when he didn't score last year, he was still massively effective. But maybe that's just me.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Micheyev does so much right, its just a matter of time before he figures out how to finish. This was a guy that showed zero signs of lack of finish prior to his wrist injury. Have to figure there is a bit of a learning curve handling the puck and shooting thereafter. Ilya is an extremely hard working player on and off the ice. This is a guy I am not keen on moving on from. He is a very intelligent player and can absolutely fly. I really think him and Kampf are going to be an absolute terror to play against. I still think Ilya can return to his pre-injury form. His shot is the only thing that has really suffered, and I think he will slowly get that back. Not a chance in hell he shoots at less than 6.5% again next year. He generates far too many high danger chances to be continually held off the score sheet like last year.

iHDCF - Any high danger scoring chance by the player, outside of the shootout

View attachment 459042

there is just no f***ing way KD is going to trade an analytic darling like this. And even when he didn't score last year, he was still massively effective. But maybe that's just me.

Remove everybody's PP chances and he looks even better.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005

Sorry could you break down each of those teams top UFA gets plz?

Reactions: al secord

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I'd love to see a shutdown line of Engval-Kampf-Mikheyev. That line oozes speed/defensive responsibility.

And then add in a more offensive bottom 6 line with Kerfoot/Spezza, with whichever of Ritchie/Kase/Bunting isn't on the top two lines, and you have a nice pair of complementary bottom 6 lines.

Of course that leaves Simmonds on the outside looking in....which is....probably the best idea tbh.

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
Remove everybody's PP chances and he looks even better.
ya no kidding. Honestly Micheyev is a really good player. Extremely smart at both ends of the ice. Has unbelievable anticipation, and is really hard on the puck. His struggle to score reminds me a lot of Paul Byron when he was in Calgary. Constantly generating chances with his speed and anticipation, but could not finish at all. He ended up figuring out that aspect of his game and has been a very reliable secondary scorer for the Habs for the last 5 years. Not to mention, I really don't think Byron's play away from the puck is as good and Ilya's personally.

I swear if Ilya converts early in the year, he will not be gripping that stick nearly as hard as he did all year. He will go in on the B-Way and not always think shot, he will mix in a deke. Something that he should be doing most of the time anyways given the speed he is coming in at and his reach... He will figure it out I am almost certain of it. Process over results last year IMO. He was excellent in every other aspect, the results will eventually come

Reactions: DutchHockeyGuy

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
And then add in a more offensive bottom 6 line with Kerfoot/Spezza, with whichever of Ritchie/Kase/Bunting isn't on the top two lines, and you have a nice pair of complementary bottom 6 lines.

Of course that leaves Simmonds on the outside looking in....which is....probably the best idea tbh.

If we have the cap space I like the idea of Simmonds and Spezza rotating.

Jmo89

Mar 21, 2010
Have him bounce between the 3rd and 4th line. He has good speed and pk, but that wrist injury ruined his scoring.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad