Mikheyev - - stay or go?

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Have him bounce between the 3rd and 4th line. He has good speed and ok, but that wrist injury ruined his scoring.

I wonder if it's permanent or if it's just something that takes longer to recover from than just a season.

Reactions: Jmo89

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
I wonder if it's permanent or if it's just something that takes longer to recover from than just a season.

Probably both. Those kinds of injuries take a long time to really "get used to", even once they're recovered. But it's also likely true he'll never return to 100% of the function he had before.

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
Seems like he can still rip the puck but he can’t aim whatsoever. I hope he goes even though I like him, we’ve got better options

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Perfect fourth liner. They need to stop pretending hes anything more than that.

Reactions: geo25

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
That would be your Hyman replacement which would be a downgrade.
Tavares line should be better with Kerfoot over Gally. Bottom 6 should be better with the loss of Jumbo. We'll have to wait to see if it is enough to win a round.

Kerfoot is a better overall player than Galy but he isn't an offensive producer. He's around 215th in pp60 for forwards and IMO should be plying his trade in a bottom six, notwithstanding a pretty good playoff. I think he will be back to his 30 point pace next season, although I also think he might pick it up a bit if used exclusively on the wing. I expect the bottom 6 will be better because of the new additions. I have no proof but I think Simmonds will have to earn his minutes this season and cannot expect to play at his post injury pace.

Reactions: ToneDog

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Felt like he played most of the year with mittens instead of gloves

True, but in fairness to him, that wrist injury obviously affected his shooting ability. He was still good in all other facets of the game though.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
True, but in fairness to him, that wrist injury obviously affected his shooting ability. He was still good in all other facets of the game though.
I think it was comical, but you could really tell his finish and general handling wasn't the same. Just hoping it's a minor setback

Reactions: nuck

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
I have no proof but I think Simmonds will have to earn his minutes this season and cannot expect to play at his post injury pace.
Simmonds can do laps around the rink each shift and Keefe will continue to give him 3rd/4th line minutes + top PP time.

Reactions: Habz4Evr

123offtheglass

Oct 30, 2017
Halifax
I’m a big fan of Mikheyev’s game. I think a combination of his wrist injury and a mental aspect had him brutally awful at finishing last season. He wasn’t a bad finisher in the KHL and he wasn’t that bad his first NHL season.

If he brings the same game as last season but is mediocre or even almost mediocre finishing, Dubas will have struck gold in him.

This part of a players game fluctuates a lot, just look at players’ shooting percentages across the league. Most players have a year where they’re down and another when they’re on a heater. You want snarl in a bottom 6 defensive role but speed and reach is more important IMO; come playoff time he’d be part of the answer to defending guys like McDavid or Mackinnon.

Thissiteisgarbage

Oct 14, 2014
If you just want some really fast guy without hands and doesn't play a physical game at all, I'm sure there's cheaper options.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
I want to see Mikheyev get opportunities, as I think he's due to break out.

I want to see Bunting get opportunities, as I think he's due to break out.

I want to see Ritchie get opportunities, as I think he's due to break out.

I want to see Kase get opportunities, as I think he can break out if healthy.

I don't want to lose Engvall, because I think he's a versatile player that can slot in anywhere in the bottom 6.

The question is -- can you make opportunities for all of them?

Reactions: teddygmr

banks

Only got 5/16
Aug 29, 2019
I don't dislike Mikheyev. But he really hasn't been part of the solution since he joined the team.

I'd be happy to move on. He's not a difference maker. Use the roster spot on someone that will take advantage.

Reactions: cgc83

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
His effort is there but since the injury, he simply can't score. Puts him in a tough spot because after he slashed those tendons nothing went in anymore.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
I think we could do much better for 1.6. He's 27, he is what he is
He doesn't fit in the top 6 and doesn't provide enough jam for the bottom
Totally a non-factor in the playoffs too. Like ...nothing

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad