Mikheyev - - stay or go?

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
His effort is there but since the injury, he simply can't score. Puts him in a tough spot because after he slashed those tendons nothing went in anymore.

The key being, does having an offseason help him build strength back, making him more effective, or has it ruined him? I'd give him at least a portion of this year, to see... too early to make that decision IMO, as if he can rehab that hand, he'd be a quality player to have.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
The key being, does having an offseason help him build strength back, making him more effective, or has it ruined him? I'd give him at least a portion of this year, to see... too early to make that decision IMO, as if he can rehab that hand, he'd be a quality player to have.
He starts the year 4th line but if he can't score you may need a guy who brings something else, thus Kase.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
If they are running out a 3rd line checking line with Kampf I see no problem with Mikheyev being a solid checking winger.

Soup - Kampf - Engvall
The problem is no offence (plus little grit/physicality). Last year, the 3 of them combined scored at a pace of ~25 goals per 82 games … if this year is similar, that’s pretty terrible. Compare that to, say, our 3rd line of Kappy/Kadri/Johnsson in 2018/19, that combined for 56 goals in 70-something games each. That’s pretty high, but IMO you should be getting at least ~40 goals per 82 games from your 3rd line, ~25 is real low.

3rd lines are a crucial source of depth scoring. A 3rd line that only scores about 1 goal every 4 games puts us right back in a situation where slowing down our top 6 means our scoring completely dries up in the playoffs. This has been a major issue for us the last 2 playoffs, and looks likely to continue.

Last edited:

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
I agree but with the go for broke, we can and we will, you have to count on the top 6 to do your heavy lifting for scoring.
If that third line can shut down the opponents top line and get a little momentum mission accomplished.

Reactions: TML Dynasty

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
He's a serviceable 3rd liner. Good speed decent pking.

We have unreasonable expectations of our sub 2M players.
True. I think the bigger problem is that with no middle class or secondary scoring, these sub 2M players are being asked to contribute more than they’re capable of.

Everything comes back to cap structure that now necessitates having to bargain shop for important top 9 players.

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
True. I think the bigger problem is that with no middle class or secondary scoring, these sub 2M players are being asked to contribute more than they’re capable of.

Everything comes back to cap structure that now necessitates having to bargain shop for important top 9 players.

Yep, I remember being scoffed at when I mentioned several years ago that our bottom 6 is going to be pretty terrible moving forward. Writing on the wall was there that we would have 900K players all over our bottom 6 and that's why drafting was going to be so important. Such a shame we have lost so many 1sts

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver

100% this. Pre-COVID-flat-cap, the crazy contracts Dubas handed out to Matthews, Marner and Tavares were problematic, but we’d still have a decent chance to get quality depth around them. But with the flat cap, it’s just impossible, barring miracles.

The problem is not that our $750K to $1.6 mil forwards are weak for their salary, it’s that some of them are filling positions that should be filled by $3-4 mil players. I really don’t see a way that we build a legit cup contender without trading one of Tavares/Marner (ideally Tavares, if he’ll waive his NMC).

cannucky

Aug 18, 2011
Split the big three , 11 million means you can drive your own line .If you can't then your not worth your paycheck and it's time to look for a trading partner , Arizona has already dumped half of what it would take to get Mathews from us so they're out on that one . Dvorak is supposed to be still available and he would be a huge upgrade on Kampf , Marner-Dvorak-Soup would make this team exponentially better .
Mathews -Nylander-?
JT-Ritchie-?
Marner -Kampf { or someone better }-Soup ,
We're still short on D again only 6 signed on the roster , we need to shed cap as well so some of these wingers have to go , Hopefully we come up with a better 3rd line C and at least 2 more NHL caliber D men .
This management group has run us right back into the ground , from a position of such a bright future and the team on the rise to this pile of misfit pieces surrounding half the cap in 4 players . Bush league management .

Last edited:
Reactions: Habz4Evr

Ashdown2

Aug 19, 2006
hes got the best expected goals differentially after our top 5 ...
if he can somehow just shoot 7+% this year he is a shoe in to score 15+ and be great defensively too.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
He has not aged well as a Leaf. Regressed in all offensive areas. Great defensively oriented player but lacks any physically imposing traits. Very meek player. Another teachers pet. Adam Brooks is a better player all round. They will not resign him likely. Trade him.

Ashdown2

Aug 19, 2006
He has not aged well as a Leaf. Regressed in all offensive areas. Great defensively oriented player but lacks any physically imposing traits. Very meek player. Another teachers pet. Adam Brooks is a better player all round. They will not resign him likely. Trade him.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

bodechek

Oct 10, 2017
if Clarkson get score 30 by gluing himself to the crease anyone can and how many goals does Hyman score from 5 feet and out ?

Now that Hyman is gone, I don't have much of an argument. But an empty net vs 5 feet out and a goalie. Which is the easier goal? All he had to do was take a stride left or right before firing a puck at an empty net and he couldn't do it. Good luck to him, he is here and as a Leaf I am hoping for the best

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Anderson can do what he does for cheaper. Dubas is win at all cost mode or he is finished. I can’t see him moving Mikheyev and bringing in Anderson. That’s what happens when you have a dead man Walking G.M.

I wish they would fire him now before he destroys the team more. Then again i want to win too. Hopefully he does what is right for the long term health of the franchise while under the microscope this season.

I would like him to survive and build the team right this year and in the future.

Shanwhatplan

Mar 31, 2019
He will help out in regular season hockey and he will be a waste of time for playoff hockey .. i know this is stating obvious but best to trade him during regular season and get some value
I have no idea what a 4th line player should be paid, but I’m quite sure it would be less than $2 million. I would see how he does this year. Maybe it did have something to do with his wrist injury. If he regains the scoring touch he had before the injury, his salary would be really good.
If he doesn’t regain it, what would be a reasonable amount for both a solid 4th liner and PKer?

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
I would keep him as a 4 th liner if he was cheaper. He’s to expensive for zero offense. $1,000,000 contract play bottom 6 he is a good contract actually.
Mikheyev/Kampf/Gabriel fourth line is worth a look in training camp and pre season. It might work.
Soupie is a good guy, works his butt off. Money clouds my words. I like him. He isn’t useless, far from it actually. I’ve not been fair to him being a bit hateful towards the team in general actually.

I have never seen anyone catch McDavid before and last year he showed he can skate with McDavid. That’s the kind of defensive player you ate best patient with. I changed my mind. Best we build this guy up and Gabriel can look after him and Kampf can get him the puck ha

Last edited:
Reactions: JT AM da real deal

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad