Mikheyev - - stay or go?

mydnyte

Sep 8, 2004
Last 2 years

Ilya Mikheyev @ $1,645,000 AAV in 93 games 15 goals 25 assists 40 points (playing 2nd/3rd line with JT and Nylander at times)
vs
Zach Hyman @ $2,250,000 AAV in 94 games 36 goals 32 assists 70 points (playing 1st/2nd line)

If its expected Mikheyev is now expected to fill the shoes of Hyman departing as UFA then he has quite a bit of work to do as Hyman's bang for you cap buck was significant.
Oh please, Hyman has been glued to Matthews since he was drafted... Mik may have zero finishing skill, but he got the odd rare shifts with our talent, and zero PP (deservedly).
He was used as a 3rd line shutdown type, almost exclusively
We should move on from both of them

Reactions: geo25

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
I'm more than happy with one of him or Engvall as a pk option at 4th line LW. Don't think this roster has room for both.

Reactions: ToneDog

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
He’s got GREAT speed, very good hustle, good size (a bit skinny, but tall), kills penalties and is pretty good defensively. The main frustrating thing is that he seems to have good offensive tools, but he’s very much an “all the tools, no toolbox” guy offensively. He generates tonnes of good chances, but basically never finishes them.

I do feel there’s potential there - he was a good finisher at the KHL level, maybe he eventually adapts to the NHL and starts finishing here too. But for now he’s likely better used on the 4th line than the 3rd.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
He’s got GREAT speed, very good hustle, good size (a bit skinny, but tall), kills penalties and is pretty good defensively. The main frustrating thing is that he seems to have good offensive tools, but he’s very much an “all the tools, no toolbox” guy offensively. He generates tonnes of good chances, but basically never finishes them.

I do feel there’s potential there - he was a good finisher at the KHL level, maybe he eventually adapts to the NHL and starts finishing here too. But for now he’s likely better used on the 4th line than the 3rd.

I am not a fan of him, infact, I absolutely hate his softness. For 6'3 and can fly, he should have much more of an impact, but doesn't

But seeing him and Simmonds, I rather Mikhayev on the line up especially at 4th line

Top 9 expected to have some scoring and some energy. He skates, doesn't provide energy. Has no offensive upside

4th line bencher, I am ok

TheShape

Oct 25, 2018
He’s more than fair value for his cap hit. I don’t see the need to move him.

Cobra777

Jun 26, 2018
Wasaga Beach
I have always rooted for Mik, however if I was management which obviously am not but under circumstances would
call him in for a meeting and state these facts to him.

We like your speed
We like your PK abilities
We like the way you carry the puck at times
We are patient from your injury and hope you can finish as in previous
We want you and your size to finish hard checks and be hard on the puck instead of coasting into your checks and show him some play off footage of other teams and players that do

This is what we need and want and if you can accomplish that for now, then you have a spot on this roster, but if you can't then we will have to look for alternative players.

Simple as that if our management have the stones to do so

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
Most ideally used as a fourth line PKer and might be a little too rich for that. Now that Simmonds is back, I'd be trying to get some draft capital back for both Mikheyev and Engvall. I want a different look in the middle six and more production than those two provide. If both return, we are bordering on essentially bringing the exact same roster back.

Reactions: geo25 and Lumberg

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I have always rooted for Mik, however if I was management which obviously am not but under circumstances would
call him in for a meeting and state these facts to him.

We like your speed
We like your PK abilities
We like the way you carry the puck at times
We are patient from your injury and hope you can finish as in previous
We want you and your size to finish hard checks and be hard on the puck instead of coasting into your checks and show him some play off footage of other teams and players that do

This is what we need and want and if you can accomplish that for now, then you have a spot on this roster, but if you can't then we will have to look for alternative players.

Simple as that if our management have the stones to do so
In all my years playing I never saw 1 soft guy get mean for real .. you can't change someone's stripes .. and reverse is also true you can't take a jack*ss like me and make a player who doesn't take advantage of a board/elbow or fight penalty when opportunity presents itself .. although I have thought same thought with him if he was just a mean SOB he would be a great player .. but he is just another great guy in da room type guy in likeness of Dubie

Reactions: Cobra777 and theTTC

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
If we can afford it, I'd love to have a fourth line of
Mikheyev - Engvall - Simmonds
Mikheyev and Engvall have limited offensive upside, hopefully, Simmonds can bang in some of their shots, but the line overall would not be a liability defensively, and they have the ability to burn some teams with speed.

Let Spezza play up the lineup a little assuming he doesn't look out of place

Aus34Matt

Dec 10, 2017
his only redeeming quality is his work ethic, he puts in the effort, but sadly that's not enough. And that's saying a lot considering this team has a work ethic problem.
I hope he's spending his summer in a puck-shooting school full time.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
My choice for comeback player of the next season. Wrist will have a proper healing and strengthening period. Bad shooting percentage is unsustainable if healthy.

TheGreatOne11

Jun 29, 2009
Toronto
Stay for another year (easy). After that the Leafs will once again have trouble retaining players from their current roster so he'll be as good as gone.

I like all the things Mikheyev does, he's great other than not being able to finish, unfortunately if he heals his wrist this season and hits another gear come next offseason he'll be gone like Hyman, really sucks.

Reactions: GordieHoweHatTrick

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
In all my years playing I never saw 1 soft guy get mean for real .. you can't change someone's stripes .. and reverse is also true you can't take a jack*ss like me and make a player who doesn't take advantage of a board/elbow or fight penalty when opportunity presents itself .. although I have thought same thought with him if he was just a mean SOB he would be a great player .. but he is just another great guy in da room type guy in likeness of Dubie

Memory fading?

From bad boy to Lady Byng: Stan Mikita changed himself and the game - Sportsnet.ca

I know mine is.

Reactions: freshwind

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad