Mikheyev - - stay or go?

Rude Dog

Dec 22, 2008
Love the kid. But literally had zero impact in all 12 playoff games. Fine if you can’t score. Great speed. But you need to be able to hit something by accident in the playoffs. If he can somehow score 15-20 he becomes useful. Missed breakaways look good but end up being useless.

Reactions: Finger Licking Good

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Both are big and fast and contribute in their own ways in regular season hockey but best to trade both for a playoff type player at deadline .. neither of these 2 guys has an extra gear and neither wants to help out physically in playoffs .. all 3rd and 4th liners must be able to both skate and play physically in playoffs .. goals not a big deal but even up play is critical
Agree with you. I believe both guys are followers. If you have a guy on their line that crash and bang, they will be crashing and banging. When Hyman was with them, they were doing just that. Even in the playoffs when Simmonds was playing semi physical, they were doing the same. There were shifts were they just kept cycling and kept the pucks inside the Habs zone.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
What's with these Russian players having a really good rookie season then dropping off the table? Mikheyev, Zaitsev, even Soshnikov looked great at first.

Toronto makebeleifs

Jul 4, 2014
Hes very effective at pretty much everything except finishing. Speed to burn, defensively responsible, in the right situations i could see him shovel in 10-15 garbage goals. That said, theres a cost/output valuation, and souper shouldnt be higher than 3m on a 3yr term. 3@3 Id be content, more than that is an overpay for what he brings

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
I'd be thrilled if Dubas can find a way to convince Seattle to take him instead of Kerfoot. I'd add a pick to be sure that's who they take.

Reactions: danron1376

bodechek

Oct 10, 2017
if Clarkson get score 30 by gluing himself to the crease anyone can and how many goals does Hyman score from 5 feet and out ?

I just think Hyman brings more value than Mik. At least Hyman has scored more goals than Mik

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
His hands and shot mechanics aren't bad, his rookie year was fine before the injury. If he can rehab his wrist fully I don't care if he doesn't have offensive IQ, he can bring what Kapanen brought for 1/2 the price.

Last edited:

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
I would prefer to keep Mikheyev but I also wouldn’t be upset if he were traded. If packaged with say Dermott, the two can probably fetch a real solid return and it opens up a spot on the right side on the third line for Robertson.

cannucky

Aug 18, 2011
Stay…absolutely stay…the guy has a horrific injury literally what 2 years ago…let the guy get back to 100% before you all chuck him under the bus…jayzus cr@p like this is why we can’t have nice things

Exactly these XBox guys don't get it , he's big and can outrun McJesus , trade him and it will come back to haunt us every time we see him , I have had nerve damage in my wrist and it took a long time before I could even grip without a stab of pain , he's had the best micro surgery and rehab so he's got to be better off than I was but it takes a long long time for nerves to grow and heal . That kind of pain makes your brain flinch before making any sort of movement that will trigger the pain , give him some time , work on his hitting and positioning in the meantime and he most likely becomes a beast .

cannucky

Aug 18, 2011
I never made it to the NHL. So take what I say with a grain of salt. But one thing I was really into, was physical play, and I had a build like Marner.

In fact, I even loved getting checked once in a while, because I would try to check back at the last second and ensure the other guy came out worse.

It really pains me see our team. Watching all the other teams, most of them cept the real scorers, seem to enjoy the roughness out there.

We could have beaten Montreal with J.T. and Muzzin, but make no mistake, Montreal plays a team defence with an edge, and its a great d, as well.

I like their team a lot. I have adopted them in a big way.

I want Toronto if they go with players like Engvall, to make sure they are physical too.

But our team will take years to create what I want.
Go back and watch highlights of Marner from his first year and you will see him doing the things you like to do , he had Martin , uncle Leo , JVR , Bozak and Kadri for linemates during that year and really seemed happy trying to crack back on hitters , digging in the corner and blocking shots , for whatever reason he has had that all taken out of his game , probably by management and he doesn't even seem happy most nights , too serious now not having fun .

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Keep Mikheyev, one of the fastest guys in the league and an excellent release on his shot although its not accurate. He did have a serious injury to his wrist. He is cheap and I like speed on the wings.

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
Stay, no brainer. Does everything but score and hit. Plays cheap. I just wish he'd use that size better. Hit a few people. More of a playoff style game. Sadly playoff style may not be what the Leafs seek. That makes me sad....lol
Can't help but think his 1.65 could be used on a 3rd or 4th liner that PKs AND hits. Our PK guys at least need to bring grit. Guys like Goodrow. Goodrow or Mikheyev come playoff time? It's really a no brainer. Engvall & Mikheyev gone give you the money for a Goodrow. Hyman gone plus some of Andersen's savings get you a Coleman. Kerfoot gone to Seattle gives you Foligno money. If we are running back the core 4, the trimmings have to be tough when push comes to shove. Or at least have some push back, like Brooks showed...being one of the only Leafs to even engage a playoff scrum. The attitude has to change. And guys like Mikheyev and Engvall are something you can't afford to have when your stars are for lack of a better term, "soft" players

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
He is a dime a dozen player. The AHL is littered with players like him. Hard worker, honest player. No skill or toughness.

Guys don't skate like him with his size in the AHL.
I lost a lot of confidence in him last season but you can't teach size, and if we lose Kerfoot and Hyman we will need good PK forwards.

Reactions: Gallagbi

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
Soup would be the one useless offensive player I would keep. Great skater. Good puckhandler. Not physical but gets in your way kind of player. Could have better offensive seasons in the future. I'd get rid of everyone else in the bottom 6 though, except for Spezza as my 1 veteran guy. I'm assuming Kerfoot is going in the expansion draft.

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
I’m in agreement with the shuffling the deck chairs guy. They bring nothing to the success of the team.

djdev

Dec 26, 2015
costa rica
keep him, hes a good pker and i believe will have a bounceback year. coming back from that type of injury has to be a long process and he hasnt been any sort of detriment to the team at all..if you bring back simmonds and trade soup...thats just not good imo.

CapspaceKiller

Aug 10, 2020
He's a 4th liner who is above average as penalty killer and is paid as such. Keeping him isn't an issue, even if his lack of finish is one of the most frustrating things about the team.

djdev

Dec 26, 2015
costa rica
remember michael grabner with the leafs? he led the league in breakaways and had 8 goals for us. everyone gave up on him then he went on to score 25+ goals the next 3 seasons with the rangers/devils...this reminds me of that situation

Last edited:
Reactions: Ciao

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino