Player Discussion: Mikhail Sergachev

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
This dude has no idea how to gap up. It's really bad. He's either going out of position to make a hit at the redline or he's sitting back at the top of the circles.

BoltsOfAnarchy

May 12, 2018
Largo
I remember this past summer when most people balked at the idea of including 98 in a deal for Karlsson. I get that he has potential and he looked good last season, but his sloppy play & lackadaisical style is just unbearable right now. Hope maybe it’s just a sophomore slump kind of thing. Otherwise he’ll be another lazy Russian with wasted talent. To think that he was possibly the piece holding up any deal for EK just drives me nuts.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
I remember this past summer when most people balked at the idea of including 98 in a deal for Karlsson. I get that he has potential and he looked good last season, but his sloppy play & lackadaisical style is just unbearable right now. Hope maybe it’s just a sophomore slump kind of thing. Otherwise he’ll be another lazy Russian with wasted talent. To think that he was possibly the piece holding up any deal for EK just drives me nuts.
TBF I never did, although it was clear the team was never going to do it.

I also don't think it's laziness. It looks like it, but most of his issues are positional, not effort-related.

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
Did you guy know that Sergachev is 20 years old? Obviously he still has things he needs to work on but that's to be expected. I don't know why people thought he would be turning into a franchise D in his second year. I'm pretty happy with his growth personally.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
TBF I never did, although it was clear the team was never going to do it.

I also don't think it's laziness. It looks like it, but most of his issues are positional, not effort-related.

You ever seen this guy on a loose puck?

Me neither.

The positional stuff, gap control etc are mistakes a 20 year old is going to make and you can learn but man not moving your feet to fight for pucks? being soft as hell on the boards? that's just a matter of getting in there and doing the work. It's just pure lazy from a 20 year old professional hockey player

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
You ever seen this guy on a loose puck?

Me neither.

The positional stuff, gap control etc are mistakes a 20 year old is going to make and you can learn but man not moving your feet to fight for pucks? being soft as hell on the boards? that's just a matter of getting in there and doing the work. It's just pure lazy from a 20 year old professional hockey player
Eh - maybe. I think he's just slow to react in the defensive zone because he has problems processing plays.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Did you guy know that Sergachev is 20 years old? Obviously he still has things he needs to work on but that's to be expected. I don't know why people thought he would be turning into a franchise D in his second year. I'm pretty happy with his growth personally.
He needs time and coaching and he will grow into a top 4 defenseman dude is 20 years old give him a break

DaBolts

Stanley Cup Boat Parades ROCK
Feb 3, 2015
Don't pick on Serge. He's our leading scorer in the playoffs! We need him fully confident.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
It’s like Hedman didn’t struggle his first two years
Hedman it took him till his 4th season until I was like man this guy is elite and really good . Not to say sergachev will get to hedmans level he probably won’t but when sergachev is like 23-24 he is going to be good.

Reactions: DaBolts

DaBolts

Stanley Cup Boat Parades ROCK
Feb 3, 2015
Hedman it took him till his 4th season until I was like man this guy is elite and really good . Not to say sergachev will get to hedmans level he probably won’t but when sergachev is like 23-24 he is going to be good.

100% agree. I just don't know if we have the patience or salary cap to see this project through.

Reactions: irunthepeg

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
People are incredibly shortsighted and quick to judgement.

No problems calling as it is, some people are sensitive af and only need to see sunshine's and rainbows. Nobody is calling him a bust or that he can't get better, pointing out his flaws as well as his (many) praises.

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
No problems calling as it is, some people are sensitive af and only need to see sunshine's and rainbows. Nobody is calling him a bust or that he can't get better, pointing out his flaws as well as his (many) praises.
Fair enough. Just have to deal with it all the time on the Avs board. People calling 19-21 year olds busts. Than when they have a good game they go completely the opposite.

Half the Avs board was calling Jost a bust. Than he plays like he did last night and they completely change. Look for his weaknesses sure but its about projection I guess is my point. Players have to make mistakes to find what works and what doesn't.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Fair enough. Just have to deal with it all the time on the Avs board. People calling 19-21 year olds busts. Than when they have a good game they go completely the opposite.

People are impatient and want fast results, I mean having rough stretches is part of developing but it doesn't mean you're free of criticism either. Sergachev coughed the puck up on the blueline the other game giving an odd-man rush in a playoff game, that's stupid at any age.

Reactions: avsfan09

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
People are impatient and want fast results, I mean having rough stretches is part of developing but it doesn't mean you're free of criticism either. Sergachev coughed the puck up on the blueline the other game giving an odd-man rush in a playoff game, that's stupid at any age.
I agree it's not a good look. Most high end defenseman have made the same mistakes though. Question will be if he can clean them up and focus on smarter decisions.

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017

The problem is people saying he should be traded. Like what the f*** would be the point of that.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
I liked his game today, tons of hussle - he did have it in him. Just lazy.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
We need a coach that will play to his strengths. He's got the offensive ability to produce like the a Barrie or Chabot, not quite the Burns or Karlsson level but we are trying to make him strong in his own end instead. Which I understand as you don't want a disaster back there but if he could just dominate in their end he wouldn't be in ours that often. Cooper needs to stop trying to make everyone a two way player, some are just not going to become that.

Coopers Gum

Extend Andrej Sustr
Mar 6, 2012
water spicket
We need a coach that will play to his strengths. He's got the offensive ability to produce like the a Barrie or Chabot, not quite the Burns or Karlsson level but we are trying to make him strong in his own end instead. Which I understand as you don't want a disaster back there but if he could just dominate in their end he wouldn't be in ours that often. Cooper needs to stop trying to make everyone a two way player, some are just not going to become that.
But, there are two goals, Hose.

eyeroll

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke

Half the Avs board was calling Jost a bust. Than he plays like he did last night and they completely change. Look for his weaknesses sure but its about projection I guess is my point. Players have to make mistakes to find what works and what doesn't.

That my friend is called a passionate fan base. Believe me, I see the same on my own board :)

Reactions: avsfan09
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad