Player Discussion: Mikhail Sergachev

Status
Not open for further replies.

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
It’s an interesting question. McDonagh has had a great season but that contract is still worrisome long term, we’re going to be tight against the cap in the near term with all the players we have to resign over the next couple of years, and the right side of our defense is likely going to be quite inexperienced in the near future. Theoretically we could trade McDonagh and get good value in return, resign Stralman or possibly acquire another top four RHD making ~$4.5-5M (maybe in a package for McDonagh?), and save a little cap space in the process. Then we balance out the veteran leadership between the sides rather than concentrate it all on the same side, and open the doors to a potential future top pairing of Sergachev-Foote. The downsides to this idea are that McDonagh has been playing very well this season, Stralman is slowly declining but at any moment may fall off the cliff entirely, and we’d have improved our short and longterm cap outlooks at the expense of having added a short to medium term staffing liability. In the end it’s a tough call that ultimately comes down to how much longer you think McDonagh can continue to play at his current level.
I get why you'd say that, but I honestly see him aging more like Stralman rather than a Hal Gill. He has good mobility, protects himself fairly well, but has had issues with missing a few games a year. Maybe taking the time to heal isn't the worst thing, though.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
IMO physical defensive play ages well, but make no mistake, it's absolutely vital to win.

Still think he has a lot of tread, he's only played 7-8 seasons

DaBolts

Stanley Cup Boat Parades ROCK
Feb 3, 2015
IF a rested Serge, Coburn, Girardi, Cernak, etc. is what it takes to have a you know what parade, I'm down with it. Serge seems to have better legs and more focus. And I seriously can not wait to see a Cernak/Serge pairing one day.

Rschmitz

Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Key point of this article for me

"With a robust lead in the east"

This is where Cooper should start purchasing development time with some of our points. Give Sergachev 20 minutes every game while resting vets. When rosters expand, get Katchouk into the lineup until the AHL playoffs.

Create a culture that this organization wins from top to bottom no matter where you rank

Not sure about giving Katchouk/Raddysh etc time just yet, if we don't need them in, because I wouldn't want to needlessly get them closer to waiver eligibility.

Reactions: Hoek

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Thoughts on this trade:

TO PHI
- Sergachev
- Cirelli
- 1st

TO TAM
- Simmonds
- Gostisbehere

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
tenor.gif

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Sergachev has this upright casual skating style that reminds me a lot of Jake Gardiner.

Rschmitz

Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Not sure about giving Katchouk/Raddysh etc time just yet, if we don't need them in, because I wouldn't want to needlessly get them closer to waiver eligibility.

That effects their waiver eligibility once rosters expand?

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Serg didn't look too great against Toronto IMO.
I actually thought he looked pretty good.

So this play he's been getting some crap on (sadly the video doesn't show the first puck battle that Tampa walked away with and couldn't clear).

Go to 36 seconds in the video. Stralman with 2 Leafs below the hash marks. Sergachev has Kadri marked but is also guarding the front of the net (exactly where he's supposed to be). Johnson is slow in supporting Stralman, but he *should* be covering the passing lane between Marleau and Kapanen there. If you look at the freeze frame, we have everyone marked. 5 blue shirts in the frame with 4 white shirts. Stralman isn't in the greatest position but he's been left on an island against two forecheckers.

If Johnson is going to go support Stralman, he a) needs to do it earlier, and b) either Point or Kucherov needs to cycle in and cover his assignment. A shot from the point (especially if it's Kucherov's guy Hainsey) isn't that concerning, especially since it will generally be unscreened and also everyone else is marked so as long as you don't fall asleep you don't have to worry about passes/tips/screens.

But Johnson is slow to support, and no one covers his assignment in time (Kucherov is a bit late in getting there). So Marleau passes it to Kapanen who's wide open in the slot. Kadri is Sergachev's "guy", but he's essentially in a mini-2 on 1 situation here, but he tries to block the passing/shooting lane. The only mistake here is not getting down to block the lane quite fast enough, but this is a play that's developing quickly. Kadri is unchecked and can scoop it up.

Sergachev's big "mistake" is not clogging the lane fast enough, but he was in a position he never should have had to be in. I really can't fault him too much for how that play developed.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
I guess my main gripe with him is how he disengages from the puck carrier at times. I'm not expecting him to nail him to the boards (that's not Serg's game) but he gives opponents so much space at times. Even bumping into them seems to be out of question for Serg. I agree that his positioning is spot-on most of the time, as @The Macho Man describes above, but just passively shadowing the puck carrier without ever engaging with your body or stick or w/e will only do half the trick. He's still got to learn defensively. Really like his offensive game though, as everyone else does I assume and over all he has taken huge steps forward in this, his sophomore year.

Reactions: TeslaCoilFan

Rschmitz

Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay

So this play he's been getting some crap on (sadly the video doesn't show the first puck battle that Tampa walked away with and couldn't clear).

Go to 36 seconds in the video. Stralman with 2 Leafs below the hash marks. Sergachev has Kadri marked but is also guarding the front of the net (exactly where he's supposed to be). Johnson is slow in supporting Stralman, but he *should* be covering the passing lane between Marleau and Kapanen there. If you look at the freeze frame, we have everyone marked. 5 blue shirts in the frame with 4 white shirts. Stralman isn't in the greatest position but he's been left on an island against two forecheckers.

If Johnson is going to go support Stralman, he a) needs to do it earlier, and b) either Point or Kucherov needs to cycle in and cover his assignment. A shot from the point (especially if it's Kucherov's guy Hainsey) isn't that concerning, especially since it will generally be unscreened and also everyone else is marked so as long as you don't fall asleep you don't have to worry about passes/tips/screens.

But Johnson is slow to support, and no one covers his assignment in time (Kucherov is a bit late in getting there). So Marleau passes it to Kapanen who's wide open in the slot. Kadri is Sergachev's "guy", but he's essentially in a mini-2 on 1 situation here, but he tries to block the passing/shooting lane. The only mistake here is not getting down to block the lane quite fast enough, but this is a play that's developing quickly. Kadri is unchecked and can scoop it up.

Sergachev's big "mistake" is not clogging the lane fast enough, but he was in a position he never should have had to be in. I really can't fault him too much for how that play developed.

This, Sergachev activated because we had control of the puck. Smart aggressive play by him which backfired but I wouldn't discourage

TeslaCoilFan

Slightly Elite Fan
Mar 17, 2017
West of the Moon

Thanks for the analysis, Macho! That does make it more clear that Sergachev and Strålman did the best they could without proper support by the forwards. What about the other goal Sergy was on ice for, was that mostly due to Palat being out of position?

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
That effects their waiver eligibility once rosters expand?

I'm pretty sure NHL games played is one of the markers. Not sure how many the player can put it before he burns up the ability to pass through waivers. Somebody more knowledgeable with this kind of thing can chime in.

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
upload_2019-1-23_11-29-57.png

Sergachev last year and this year. Basically the same results playing with worse teammates while getting more ice time and dzone starts. Think we should keep giving him more ice time and see what he can handle. In my eyes he has passed Stralman on the depth chart already.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad