Player Discussion: Mikhail Sergachev

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Will he ever play the penalty kill as he ages?
I'm sure he will (although LHD are locked for the next 7 seasons with Hedman and McDonagh, and Cernak on the right for awhile).

I don't think there's a rush for it though.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
Thanks.
How is he defensively? Could he eventually be quite good there?
He needs some work, but he isn't bad at all. He's strong, he's a good skater, and he has a good stick. He just needs to be a bit better against sustained pressure.

He plays 1v1 and rush situations well, since that's all based on natural talent and less on systems. Sometimes you can see him thinking about where he should be, though, and he ends up a half-step behind. Kind of expected for a 20 year old though.

Lightning1995

May 16, 2016
It seems like the kid is turning the puck the puck over way too often on the forecheck while playing top 4 minutes with Heddy.

Was really hoping he’d take off while partnering with one of the top Dman in the game. He’s got to be better or the Lightning must find a RH Dman for the top 4 next year if Stralls isn’t affordable....or the Lightning think he’s too old.

Serge may need to go back to the left side?

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
It seems like the kid is turning the puck the puck over way too often on the forecheck while playing top 4 minutes with Heddy.

Was really hoping he’d take off while partnering with one of the top Dman in the game. He’s got to be better or the Lightning must find a RH Dman for the top 4 next year if Stralls isn’t affordable....or the Lightning think he’s too old.

Serge may need to go back to the left side?

I think it’s fine for him to make mistakes and learn from them. Not like we are going to miss the playoffs next year with him on the top pair. He can’t play 15 minutes a night forever.

Reactions: NobleSix

Lightning1995

May 16, 2016
We've got enough ****posting around here
I didn’t say he will be forever. He’s not ready. Maybe he’s better off on the left side. I dunno, I see what I see. It’s been several games now.

Stralls health is important to a cup run. I actually wonder what a 3rd pairing of Serge Rutta would look like if it came to that. Flip Coburn to the right side and let him cover for Heddy.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
He's great at skating the puck out. He needs to read when that's the right play. He's good at keeping the play in. He needs to read when this is the right play.

I have serious concerns that he has the hockey IQ to be more than a depth Dman with a good shot.

Reactions: TeslaCoilFan

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
Sergachev is the youngest dman to have multiple 30 point seasons for the Lightning.

Bolts dmen to have multiple 30pt seasons:

Shawn Chambers (93, 94)
Roman Hamrlik (96, 97)
Pavel Kubina (01, 02, 04, 06)
Dan Boyle (03, 04, 06, 07)
Filip Kuba (07, 08)
Victor Hedman (14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19)
Anton Stralman (15, 16)
Mikhail Sergachev (18, 19)

Guns n Roses

Feb 26, 2019
He's great at skating the puck out. He needs to read when that's the right play. He's good at keeping the play in. He needs to read when this is the right play.

I have serious concerns that he has the hockey IQ to be more than a depth Dman with a good shot.
Well he’s better than Drouin right? That guy is soft as butter..

Reactions: DaBolts

DaBolts

Stanley Cup Boat Parades ROCK
Feb 3, 2015
If he nets at least 4 points this series, it's a win for the home team. He can do it, but after the Caps series last year, I think he learned a lot. Let's see if he retains it.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL

i kinda disagree honestly, he reminds me of gardiner he doesnt do what normal players do but he does it his own way and gets success

Reactions: Fixxer

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
I didn’t really mind him that game. Hedman-Girardi pairing was the real problem. He does look a bit off playing D but as long as it doesn’t lead to goals against I don’t really care.

JAY7791

Jun 22, 2013
Might be in the minority but imo this kid brought his lunch pail and work boots with Killorn, Cirelli and Miller, hes actually looking engaged and playing well.

Reactions: Maelmoor

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
His defense and engagement still so bad but if he had the 2 guys ahead of him doing their job it wouldn't look as bad. And credit where it's due, getting anything on the scoreboard is an achievement right now.

Last edited:

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
He's getting to be as annoying as Drouin except defense is his first job.
I'm a Habs fan and a fan of neither of these 2 players.
Sergachev is a pretty raw prospect still.
I'm not saying he always will be, but he is mostly an offensive minded defenseman (only).
The #1 issue I have with him is that he tends to stay static in his zone (especially with the puck).
He did that in his games with the Habs. I thought it was because the NHL was new but he still does that...
edit : He's got a great shot I must say.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad