Player Discussion: Mikhail Sergachev

Status
Not open for further replies.

FinnLightning26

Death and no taxes
Sep 16, 2007
Lapland
Sergachev should probably play mostly on the right side. I feel he always played better when he was there. Some guys are better on their "wrong" side but the organizations obsession with playing every defenseman based on their handedness makes it a pipedream.

I wouldn't mind seeing Hedman-Cernak and McDonagh-Sergachev as pairings next year if we don't make any big moves on defense this summer.

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
How would you feel about a Mantha For Sergachev trade? Both are young players are who shown flashes and struggled at times. There could be adds from either side. We need bigger and beefier forwards up front and DRW need young D. The bolts have a window they have to win under.

Reactions: Unfinished Business

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
Sergachev should probably play mostly on the right side. I feel he always played better when he was there. Some guys are better on their "wrong" side but the organizations obsession with playing every defenseman based on their handedness makes it a pipedream.

I wouldn't mind seeing Hedman-Cernak and McDonagh-Sergachev as pairings next year if we don't make any big moves on defense this summer.
How would you feel about a Mantha For Sergachev trade? Both are young players are who shown flashes and struggled at times. There could be adds from either side. We need bigger and beefier forwards up front and DRW need young D. The bolts have a window they have to win under.
first to mention sergachev with jones or hedman is a slap in their faces.... sergachev is a head case i warn you all... he has issues he isnt learning its like he is going backwards like sustr did. for people saying they are ok with his growth???? we put kids gloves on this dude the last two seasons in every way possible.... then you get cernak and most of you only see points is the problem and dont know what a true defender looks like i guess. sad top four defender lmao honestly he didnt know which side of net to play in game one and game three fellas look at the tape look at who was screwing up constantly... i am not sure I could call him lazy but man 20 years old or not he really needs to be torn down and raised back up... he was out there crying on ice i saw it.... so he was being addressed. when he had to play bigger minutes... yep he has time reasoning is we cant sign enough defense probably not to need him but to expect a light bulb anytime soon is a joke... is plenty of guys with offensive upside but what you want is guys who you dont notice guys who go quietly about their business especially defensively... as far as mantha if we could add two more d men id do that trade every day of the week. he is a finisher and best on rush flat out might score 50 on a top line with us good hands etc.. NOT good in front of net standing around but on a rush the kid can play.... rest is a meh he is not physical enough yet in front of net for his size at all.... but with stamkos or kucherov point? he would be dangerous I wouldnt like him on power plays at this time but maybe he can work at it with like kucherov and become a lot better etc... i wouldnt guarantee he becomes a net front prescence though I feel he plays too soft being a fan of both bolts and detroit ive watched a lot so not impressed but on rush? he can be sick coming up ice as a finisher

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017

If we trade for a forward it has to be a forward going the other way as well. We have too many already. Trading one of our only decent D doesn’t make much sense either.

Reactions: DominicBoltsFan

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
first to mention sergachev with jones or hedman is a slap in their faces.... sergachev is a head case i warn you all... he has issues he isnt learning its like he is going backwards like sustr did. for people saying they are ok with his growth???? we put kids gloves on this dude the last two seasons in every way possible.... then you get cernak and most of you only see points is the problem and dont know what a true defender looks like i guess. sad top four defender lmao honestly he didnt know which side of net to play in game one and game three fellas look at the tape look at who was screwing up constantly... i am not sure I could call him lazy but man 20 years old or not he really needs to be torn down and raised back up... he was out there crying on ice i saw it.... so he was being addressed. when he had to play bigger minutes... yep he has time reasoning is we cant sign enough defense probably not to need him but to expect a light bulb anytime soon is a joke... is plenty of guys with offensive upside but what you want is guys who you dont notice guys who go quietly about their business especially defensively... as far as mantha if we could add two more d men id do that trade every day of the week. he is a finisher and best on rush flat out might score 50 on a top line with us good hands etc.. NOT good in front of net standing around but on a rush the kid can play.... rest is a meh he is not physical enough yet in front of net for his size at all.... but with stamkos or kucherov point? he would be dangerous I wouldnt like him on power plays at this time but maybe he can work at it with like kucherov and become a lot better etc... i wouldnt guarantee he becomes a net front prescence though I feel he plays too soft being a fan of both bolts and detroit ive watched a lot so not impressed but on rush? he can be sick coming up ice as a finisher

Not everyone grows at the same speed. Cernak at 21 is better than Hedman was at the same age. Do you think he is a future Norris winner? Probably not.

Sergachev also has great offensive and defensive stats. So while he may look bad at times it doesn’t really show in his actual stats. Him being a head case is really all in your head. Sometimes you need to let go of your emotions and see what he is actually doing,

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
We lost the series because we have undersized forwards that can't counter the trap. Once they got into the neutral zone they couldn't take hits and fight and battle for loose pucks. It was a strength for strength trade idea . We give up a young defenseman with size and gain a young power forward/sniper with size.

Last edited:

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
We could also possibly trade one or two of Gourde, Palat, Johnson, or Kilhorn to a young team like BUF, AZ, EDM, or possibly DET if needed. All of those teams need depth, veteran players, and secondary scoring.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
We could also possibly trade one or two of Gourde, Palat, Johnson, or Kilhorn to a young team like BUF, AZ, EDM, or possibly DET if needed. All of those teams need depth, veteran players, and secondary scoring.

No you can't because these guys have a NTC which means if you want them to waive, you're going to have to trade them to a place they want to go.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
Not everyone grows at the same speed. Cernak at 21 is better than Hedman was at the same age. Do you think he is a future Norris winner? Probably not.

Sergachev also has great offensive and defensive stats. So while he may look bad at times it doesn’t really show in his actual stats. Him being a head case is really all in your head. Sometimes you need to let go of your emotions and see what he is actually doing,
dont feel cernak was better then hedman at same age at all cernak has mac daddy who is a very good d man one of top 20 in league fairly and when he and mcd had to carry load yep he made bad passes mistakes etc..

problem is its year two for sergachev and he was crying on ice during the series and he was constantly in wrong spots on ice to protect vasy in 2 games that is unacceptable for a second year guy... we have played protect him and its not paying off its time you throw him out there and he either learns or you move on... some people say give him two years im fine with that we cannot throw the baby out with the bathwater but this guy needs a coach in his ear for a full season every time he is off the ice if he is ever going to be dependable when it matters... yep maybe he got flustered to the max it happens but we cant coddle him sometimes a man needs to be tore down before they can rise up.... cernak i dont see ever posted 15 goals or 60 points so no he will not win norris but if anyone does on this team i will be surprised in future even though think karlsson is on his way... they will all share votes and eliminate each other moving forward in a perfect world .... i like sergachev he is the least of our worries cause he is a kid do i wish they had taken him down to syracuse for a year first yes.... I am unsure of how much one on one time he gets... and its needed... we have flubbed on too many others and with cap we need him imho.... just i dont see a lot what others do right now in him.... i see sustr right now defensively and i want him to grow and know what he is expected to be doing but with the coaching issue we have im unsure who is doing what. I do know that kucherov worked with him on power play after practice and that helps him we need others to do this too .... us losing the series is not on one person unless is cooper to me.. too many injuries on d and with vasy we dont know if anyone else was bothered but point obviously has something he has dealt with for two years.... was palat injured all year? I dont have those answers.....i want to see progress in sergachev defensively and i did not... thats all im saying will he develop I PRAY so we need the contract lol

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
No you can't because these guys have a NTC which means if you want them to waive, you're going to have to trade them to a place they want to go.

This is true but these guys will want to play and play in the top 6 so they keep producing. Cooper will never do it so I doubt they waive but if they were demoted and had their minutes cut they'd consider. Look at Filpulla, he was brought in as a 2C was playing well then get passed and demoted and his production dropped. He felt he was better than he was getting here and waived because he needed to show what he had to get a new deal. If he would've stayed who knows if he gets 2.75 like he did this year or less. All three have a few more years to worry about their next deal but they also have declining numbers, not Killorn he never waivers from his 0.5, so they might not be cashing in on that last contract. Cooper did it with Callahan this year so maybe he will next year but these guys need to be made uncomfortable so they consider waiving.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
This is true but these guys will want to play and play in the top 6 so they keep producing. Cooper will never do it so I doubt they waive but if they were demoted and had their minutes cut they'd consider. Look at Filpulla, he was brought in as a 2C was playing well then get passed and demoted and his production dropped. He felt he was better than he was getting here and waived because he needed to show what he had to get a new deal. If he would've stayed who knows if he gets 2.75 like he did this year or less. All three have a few more years to worry about their next deal but they also have declining numbers, not Killorn he never waivers from his 0.5, so they might not be cashing in on that last contract. Cooper did it with Callahan this year so maybe he will next year but these guys need to be made uncomfortable so they consider waiving.

I mean kind of a bad example considering he nixxed a deal that was supposed to send him to Toronto.... so even if they want to earn a new contract it doesn't outweigh playing on a team they have no interest on and I can guarantee you none of these guys have a desire to go to those teams listed in the state they are now.

If there was a deal to send Callahan the New York area it would have already been done, the likely reason they haven't is because they 100% know he won't waive to go anywhere else and they can't get it done without paying a ransom.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I mean kind of a bad example considering he nixxed a deal that was supposed to send him to Toronto.... so even if they want to earn a new contract it doesn't outweigh playing on a team they have no interest on and I can guarantee you none of these guys have a desire to go to those teams listed in the state they are now.

If there was a deal to send Callahan the New York area it would have already been done, the likely reason they haven't is because they 100% know he won't waive to go anywhere else and they can't get it done without paying a ransom.

He did refuse but I think it was Montreal and not Toronto? Either way he knew they wanted him gone so he told them where he would go and they got a deal done. If they guys say no to every team than you have an issue but you also need to send them a message and tell Coop to 4th line their asses. We might not get the return we want by having to go to a different team than we want but we should still ask them where they would go and see what we can work out.

Callahan has to submit a 16 team list so he can't refuse everywhere. Maybe he has teams it would be hard to make a deal with but on his last year there might be a buyout possibility so he could potentially open up his list for that. Pretty sure he doesn't care who's writing the check and then he could sign wherever he wants and collect another check. I think Callahan is moveable, I think we wanted him for depth this year but will move him now and try to get the deal that hurts the least.

Lightning1995

May 16, 2016
His offensive skill is clear. His D was not great against Columbus but join the club. Only Cernek was good in his own end.

For a team that struggles to score when the chips are down, Serge has shown he can produce.

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
His offensive skill is clear. His D was not great against Columbus but join the club. Only Cernek was good in his own end.

For a team that struggles to score when the chips are down, Serge has shown he can produce.
I like SERGACHEV, but he is young and struggling at times. Maybe we could Package Mantha for Segachev plus cap dump? It was just a strength for strength idea. We need to address out size and toughness if we want to win a cup. This was one way we could get a young power forward with size that has scored 20 goals in this league and has room to grow.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

Flip also nixed a deal back to Detroit, if I remember correctly, because it was kind of hilarious that Yzerman tried to send him back to Detroit.

Flip is a good example of how hard it is to get around a NTC when the player doesn't want to go. He nixed at least two deals before we found a team on his list willing to deal with us. He didn't waive anything.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Flip also nixed a deal back to Detroit, if I remember correctly, because it was kind of hilarious that Yzerman tried to send him back to Detroit.

Flip is a good example of how hard it is to get around a NTC when the player doesn't want to go. He nixed at least two deals before we found a team on his list willing to deal with us. He didn't waive anything.

We likely took a hit in the return as well, Yzerman gets a lot of credit for lowering the AAV of contracts but a big factor in those is the NMC/NTC's he handed out with them - which gives players a huge control on their future. It's a short term/long term gamble, he's not stupid I think he knew some of these would come back to bite him but the reward was squeezing in as much depth as you can in the short term for a big window for the cup, too bad that blew up.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
He did refuse but I think it was Montreal and not Toronto? Either way he knew they wanted him gone so he told them where he would go and they got a deal done. If they guys say no to every team than you have an issue but you also need to send them a message and tell Coop to 4th line their asses. We might not get the return we want by having to go to a different team than we want but we should still ask them where they would go and see what we can work out.

Callahan has to submit a 16 team list so he can't refuse everywhere. Maybe he has teams it would be hard to make a deal with but on his last year there might be a buyout possibility so he could potentially open up his list for that. Pretty sure he doesn't care who's writing the check and then he could sign wherever he wants and collect another check. I think Callahan is moveable, I think we wanted him for depth this year but will move him now and try to get the deal that hurts the least.

He nixxed 2 deals, one to Montreal per Dregger and another that would've sent him with Boyle to Toronto, which is further to the point of how strong those NTC's are. Look at the return we got for Filppula from Phillidephia - we took Mark Streit one for one.

Callahan has a modified NTC, yes - but surely you do know how easy those are to get around as a player right? I'll list the top-16 teams in the league who can't afford my contract and then you can't do anything about it. Callahan is probably retiring soon with the amount of injuries he's sustained, he doens't need another big contract, he can decide where he wants to play from here on out.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
We likely took a hit in the return as well, Yzerman gets a lot of credit for lowering the AAV of contracts but a big factor in those is the NMC/NTC's he handed out with them - which gives players a huge control on their future. It's a short term/long term gamble, he's not stupid I think he knew some of these would come back to bite him but the reward was squeezing in as much depth as you can in the short term for a big window for the cup, too bad that blew up.

I think we might deal Callahan to Detroit. Both Yzerman and JBB must have been somewhere close to the same ballpark on the asset they'd be willing to pay to get him off the roster. And now Yzerman's in the "collect assets" phase of a rebuild again.

And I think Callahan would waive, given what he went through this year being the 13th forward. Unless he's considering retirement, and we have no indication of that, playing a significant role for a bad team might not be the worst idea for him in a contract year.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
He nixxed 2 deals, one to Montreal per Dregger and another that would've sent him with Boyle to Toronto, which is further to the point of how strong those NTC's are. Look at the return we got for Filppula from Phillidephia - we took Mark Streit one for one.

Seems like he just didn't want to play in Canada. Which can be the case with these guys too but there are more than enough American teams we can call. Filpulla was a pure cap dump as we flipped Streit right away so we took on no cap and got rid of 5mil for the next year. So if we did that with Callahan that would be more than fine. With Johnson or Palat we would hope to get something in return but with Palat I will take even a minimal return if it gets him off the team.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
I think we might deal Callahan to Detroit. Both Yzerman and JBB must have been somewhere close to each other on the asset they'd be willing to pay to get him off the roster.

And I think Callahan would waive, given what he went through this year being the 13th forward. Unless he's considering retirement, and we have no indication of that, playing a significant role for a bad team might not be the worst idea for him in a contract year.

And I think he's fine with that to be honest - it's possible he retires soon even if he doesn't I don't him taking on a multi-year contract after this. He could go one year, cheap to a place he wanted to go either in Buffalo or NY and they would take him. At this point, why waive and go to a place you have no desire to play, he could sit and get paid the entire season in sunny Tampa but let's be real if he's on the roster he's not playing less than 40 games unless he's unhealthy.

If you're going to talk him "helping" us out, it's not for Callahan - I think Johnson who has ties to Detroit would be a target for Yzerman and the guy who gave him a shot at the NHL might be enough to convince him to waive.

Last edited:

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
I think we might deal Callahan to Detroit. Both Yzerman and JBB must have been somewhere close to the same ballpark on the asset they'd be willing to pay to get him off the roster. And now Yzerman's in the "collect assets" phase of a rebuild again.

stevie is gonna look to shed some ltir contracts he is last guy to help us out on albatross of callahan contract ... i dont see it at all.... hes looking to whip us imho which will happen sooner over later.... he is gonna send guys packing or retire.... datsyuk spoke up he would play again now in detroit and im unsure yzerman would give him cally money at this point.... is plenty of small market teams got to hit cap and some teams that actually have interest in him imho....

DekeR

Jan 11, 2008
I tend to agree, thats a hefty contract Callahan has for a forth line/part timer. I think we are left to eat that contract till the end, which is next year.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
There's no way a team that has no chance of entering the postseason wouldn't be interested in one year of Callahan, who is still a good player and veteran presence. It's also very important to remember that Yzerman wanted Callahan for a while before he got him.

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
I like SERGACHEV, but he is young and struggling at times. Maybe we could Package Mantha for Segachev plus cap dump? It was just a strength for strength idea. We need to address out size and toughness if we want to win a cup. This was one way we could get a young power forward with size that has scored 20 goals in this league and has room to grow.

Serg was also 20 years old last season. Maybe let him play a season where he can actually get a drink legally before giving up on a kid who despite the expected growing pains has shown tremendous potential at a position of need?

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Serg was also 20 years old last season. Maybe let him play a season where he can actually get a drink legally before giving up on a kid who despite the expected growing pains has shown tremendous potential at a position of need?

Hear hear on this one. Sergachev is not a good player overall at the NHL level yet. He has a lot of growing up to do mentally and physically but we are also seeing small flashes in the pan of him taking the next step. For a defenseman it's all you can ask. Patience has to win out here. If there is a 20-21 year old to be truly concerned about it's someone who takes the career path of Jesse Puljujarvi: who hasn't learned a DAMN thing and isn't even put on the power play. I don't know how good his English is but the Oilers are mad about that too.

Sergachev is making progress even though it's slow. Contrast to a player like Sustr, he started his career fine but by his 100th game he was easily one of the worst Lightning defenseman I had ever seen and only managed to get worse. None of this is the case yet. Sergachev is gonna be alright as long as he doesn't regress next year. Don't forget it took Hedman a good 4 years before he became what he is today and all we had was flashes in the pan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad