Player Discussion: Mikhail Sergachev

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lightning1995

May 16, 2016
Lots of discussion in the Cernak thread that Serge should play his natural left side. Curious what everyone’s thoughts are because it has significant roster implications long term for obvious reasons.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Definitely not on the same level as last year. Still decent though.

I think a lot of people overrated where he was in his development last year because of his point total. The points dried up midway through last year.

As of today, he's scored exactly 1 goal in the last calendar year. 3 if you count the playoffs.

Last edited:

Coopers Gum

Extend Andrej Sustr
Mar 6, 2012
water spicket
I think a lot of people overrated where he was in his development last year because of his point total. The points dried up midway through last year.

As of today, he's scored exactly 1 goal in the last calendar year. 3 if you count the playoffs.

Last year he had such a poise with the puck that I haven’t really seen this year. He was confident, and could make some pretty slick moves. Haven’t really seen that this year. He’s just kind of... there.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Last year he had such a poise with the puck that I haven’t really seen this year. He was confident, and could make some pretty slick moves. Haven’t really seen that this year. He’s just kind of... there.

??? this happens at least once a game, and multiple times like tonight..

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
He's always walked players. Still does. The thing is, that's never really been where his points have come from. He tends to get points when he just makes simple, obvious plays. His stickhandling leads to a whole lot of nothing, most of the time. That said, I think as he develops, it'll become a more dangerous tool.

Had a great game tonight though, I thought. Probably his best of the year.

BowDownToVasilevskiy

Jun 30, 2013
Canada
Good game from Sergachev tonight

Shame he couldn't score a goal. Hopefully it is coming on this road trip. I'll take a goal from him in Calgary on Thursday :nod:

LonLon Lei

Feb 27, 2018
Other then that turnover, Mcd had been good tonight I thought. I didn't see any issues with Strals, either while I did see a few mistakes from Serg. But overall, I agree his game was pretty good tonight.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Other then that turnover, Mcd had been good tonight I thought. I didn't see any issues with Strals, either while I did see a few mistakes from Serg. But overall, I agree his game was pretty good tonight.

McD had at least two poor plays that led to goals

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Yep, in a game where McD has making mistakes and Stralman and Hedman were kind of meh, thought Sergy was a bright spot

Yeah, neither McDonagh nor Point were as good as we're used to (it's been a couple of games for Point now, but that might be because of the super tough assignments he's had). I thought Hedman was actually really good last night. And I think that's the best we've seen of Sergachev this year.

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
Lots of discussion in the Cernak thread that Serge should play his natural left side. Curious what everyone’s thoughts are because it has significant roster implications long term for obvious reasons.

It’s an interesting question. McDonagh has had a great season but that contract is still worrisome long term, we’re going to be tight against the cap in the near term with all the players we have to resign over the next couple of years, and the right side of our defense is likely going to be quite inexperienced in the near future. Theoretically we could trade McDonagh and get good value in return, resign Stralman or possibly acquire another top four RHD making ~$4.5-5M (maybe in a package for McDonagh?), and save a little cap space in the process. Then we balance out the veteran leadership between the sides rather than concentrate it all on the same side, and open the doors to a potential future top pairing of Sergachev-Foote. The downsides to this idea are that McDonagh has been playing very well this season, Stralman is slowly declining but at any moment may fall off the cliff entirely, and we’d have improved our short and longterm cap outlooks at the expense of having added a short to medium term staffing liability. In the end it’s a tough call that ultimately comes down to how much longer you think McDonagh can continue to play at his current level.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Why the hell would we trade McDonagh when he's fixed the biggest issue we've had on D for years? But then again some people didn't even think trading for him was a good idea

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
We survived the Callahan and Carle contracts and continued to improve the team throughout. Not overly worried about McDonagh's contract. If it gets bad, it gets bad, but that's like refusing to enjoy a sunny day because there might be bad weather coming.

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
I'm really not sure what you're watching then, because he is pretty much exactly the same from last year. Creative, a little flashy, but a little aloof with the puck at times.

waterboy65

Jul 7, 2017
We survived the Callahan and Carle contracts and continued to improve the team throughout. Not overly worried about McDonagh's contract. If it gets bad, it gets bad, but that's like refusing to enjoy a sunny day because there might be bad weather coming.
I would never lump Callahan in with Carle. Cally even though has stopped scoring still finds a way to positively impact a game with his hustle and play on the PK. Carle was bad for 80% of his time here. While Cally is overpaid for his role on the team, he is at least an NHL caliber player!

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
I would never lump Callahan in with Carle. Cally even though has stopped scoring still finds a way to positively impact a game with his hustle and play on the PK. Carle was bad for 80% of his time here. While Cally is overpaid for his role on the team, he is at least an NHL caliber player!

Its almost in the same category though. Cally is hurt a lot and his cap is a lot for a guy that doesnt play very much even when healthy. However you are right in that he is way more useful than Carle was. Not going to find too many debate that lol.

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
I'm really not sure what you're watching then, because he is pretty much exactly the same from last year. Creative, a little flashy, but a little aloof with the puck at times.

Yeah, I'm seeing the same as last year... Maybe a little better on defense and a step below in O. He has also been unlucky... He will be fine, no doubt

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
Why the hell would we trade McDonagh when he's fixed the biggest issue we've had on D for years? But then again some people didn't even think trading for him was a good idea

Yeah, McD is literally playing the best D I've seen from any Tampa player ever, he is a keeper

Reactions: Rschmitz

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
I personally don't care about his current production, he's still one of our best dman at creating offense on his own. This league is incredibly effective at adapting to players in their sophomore years. Serg had a slow start but he's becoming undoubtedly more trusted than his flashy, but ultra-sheltered version of last year. The most important thing is that he doesn't look overwhelmed at all, he already belongs in the NHL. This kid has a bright future ahead of him IMO.

Reactions: Sky04
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad