Confirmed with Link: Mike Smith Re-Signs 2 Years @2.2 million AAV

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Anyone saying to run a Smith/Skinner tandem? Smith can’t handle that many games anymore.
You don’t think they could do a 40-40 split? He just played 38 games between now and March. I don’t think it’s likely smith is less healthy than he was last year. If they do go that route though they would have to bring in a veteran insurance 3rd goalie.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
You don’t think they could do a 40-40 split? He just played 38 games between now and March. I don’t think it’s likely smith is less healthy than he was last year. If they do go that route though they would have to bring in a veteran insurance 3rd goalie.
I don’t. And as a contending team I don’t think hitching the teams success to that tandem is successful at all. You would have to be 100% confident that Skinner would be a playoff calibre starter by playoff time cause Smith can handle less and less of a work load the whole time.

Reactions: Whyme

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
I don’t. And as a contending team I don’t think hitching the teams success to that tandem is successful at all. You would have to be 100% confident that Skinner would be a playoff calibre starter by playoff time cause Smith can handle less and less of a work load the whole time.
I don’t think it’s ideal but I also don’t think it’s the end of the world. If it fails you can make a move at the deadline. Half of this year we had Koskinen and skinner as our tandem and still finished with 104 points.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I don’t think it’s ideal but I also don’t think it’s the end of the world. If it fails you can make a move at the deadline. Half of this year we had Koskinen and skinner as our tandem and still finished with 104 points.
Okay, so who is our Koskinen going to be when Smith is dealing with injuries? Going into the season with Smith/Skinner is something a rebuilding team would do cause they have no plans for success. This team has needed goaltending for years now. Purposely going with what we have is baffling.

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
I see your point but tend to see this more like Cyclone. The problem with Smith is you never know when he's out from the games. He could play at a Vezina fighting level and stay healthy until the deadline making it very difficult to bring in an established starter, but have a major injury right after it.

He was lucky to be playing in the playoffs this season but the players would know he might not be as lucky next spring. I believe they'll also listen what McDrai says and they'll likely want to move from Smith now.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Okay, so who is our Koskinen going to be when Smith is dealing with injuries? Going into the season with Smith/Skinner is something a rebuilding team would do cause they have no plans for success. This team has needed goaltending for years now. Purposely going with what we have is baffling.
I don’t fundamentally disagree. But I also believe skinner next year will be a better goalie than Koskinen was this year. I don’t think it’s a worse situation than we had this year and this year was very successful. Ideally you can trade Smith and get an upgrade in the process. I keep going back to the NYI but they are the only team I could realistically see making it work but supposedly Holland inquired about Varlamov this year and he didn’t want to come here. We can’t afford a UFA so it would have to come via trade.

Reactions: Sheikyerbouti

Rengorlex

Aug 25, 2021
Mike Smith's puck moving presented in numbers.

1654715996965.png

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Mike Smith's puck moving presented in numbers.

View attachment 557219
hahahha. OMG can't believe someone put this work in.

And it's exactly what you would expect.

Side note. The reason Smith's number of retrievals seems low is because the data excludes ones where there was no pressure to play the puck. Only counts situations where the goalie had a forechecker coming, forcing them to make a decision.

Last edited:

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
hahahha. OMG can't believe someone put this work in.

And it's exactly what you would expect.

Side note. The reason Smith's number of retrievals seems low is because the data excludes ones where there was no pressure to play the puck. Only counts situations where the goalie had a forechecker coming, forcing them to make a decision.
I expect it for two reasons unfortunately,

1 - He likes to take some insane risks
2 - Our D gets the puck and immediately sharts themselves turning it over to the nearest forechecker.

Smith takes a lot of risks for sure, but in my mind - his position on that chart is not solely on himself.

Reactions: oobga

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Why not ask the Rangers or Bolts?
So, you think we can get Shesterkin or Vasilevskiy?:laugh: Because everyone else is a significant cut below them.

2 - Our D gets the puck and immediately sharts themselves turning it over to the nearest forechecker.

Smith takes a lot of risks for sure, but in my mind - his position on that chart is not solely on himself.
He might not take as many risks if our defence was better at moving or skating the puck out themselves. Pretty sure he'd stay the f*** out of the way, if he had Girard, Makar, Toewes or Byron to grab it for him.

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
Why are fans having to offer "solutions" for the Oilers goaltending issues?

That's the job for the $5 million man. Kenny dropped the ball again last offseason. Smith sucks and actively cost his team games this post season. Same as it always has been with the guy.
How do you drop the ball where there wasn't any balls to play with? Who should we have gotten last off season without giving up serious assets?

I'm done with Smith but again do you trade a top prospect or a first round pick for someone who only plays slightly better than Smith. Maybe the new guy shits the bed with this D-Core.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
So, you think we can get Shesterkin or Vasilevskiy?:laugh: Because everyone else is a significant cut below them.

I think you missed the point entirely, which is that paying a premium for a goalie can get you results.

He might not take as many risks if our defence was better at moving or skating the puck out themselves. Pretty sure he'd stay the f*** out of the way, if he had Girard, Makar, Toewes or Byron to grab it for him.

Or maybe our D would be better at moving the puck out if Smith didn't keep starting firedrills in his own end with his erratic behaviour.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003

Agree, the D play some part in this. I think Smith certainly does as well in a bad way. Just overall an unfortunate stat for the team and we saw the consequences of Smith and the D making bad errors handling forecheck pressure on full display many times in these playoffs.

Reactions: North Cole

Marty McSurly

May 9, 2018
How do you drop the ball where there wasn't any balls to play with? Who should we have gotten last off season without giving up serious assets?

I'm done with Smith but again do you trade a top prospect or a first round pick for someone who only plays slightly better than Smith. Maybe the new guy shits the bed with this D-Core.

Maybe the guy who makes $5 million a year should have the answers to that question? Instead he brings back Smith/Koskinen for 3 years.

You make it sound like no team changed goalies last off-season?

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013

Yeah thats exactly what hes saying get Vasilevsky.

Brilliant analysis hes a "high wire act" because his defense doesnt have Makar. So he sticks to the wall with forwards in his zone because he wants to play as third defender.

Maybe just maybe he consistently makes some pretty bad decisions with the puck but that would require you being even remotely critical.

Maybe the guy who makes $5 million a year should have the answers to that question? Instead he brings back Smith/Koskinen for 3 years.

Teams like Carolina changed their goalie multiple times.

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007

Darcy Kuemper was traded to the Colorado Avalanche by the Arizona Coyotes on Wednesday for Conor Timmins, a first-round pick in the 2022 NHL Draft, and a conditional third-round pick in the 2024 NHL Draft.

Marc-Andre Fleury was traded to the Minnesota Wild by the Chicago Blackhawks on Monday for a conditional first-round pick in the 2022 NHL Draft

Yeah and I'm sure you would have endorsed those trades.

Like many have said who was available?

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Darcy Kuemper was traded to the Colorado Avalanche by the Arizona Coyotes on Wednesday for Conor Timmins, a first-round pick in the 2022 NHL Draft, and a conditional third-round pick in the 2024 NHL Draft.

Marc-Andre Fleury was traded to the Minnesota Wild by the Chicago Blackhawks on Monday for a conditional first-round pick in the 2022 NHL Draft

I do not disagree with what you are saying. The real issue now is it can't be an excuse anymore.

At some point you have to buckle down and pay the piper so to speak.

I'd also add having a proper scouting staff could help big time too. The other thing when I mention proper scouting staff it doesn't just mean identifying talent, it's about identifying a player/goalie that fits within your organization.

This article really got me thinking yesterday. Whether those scout takes are accurate or not isn't really the point here. More are our scouts going into the depth that maybe so and so has really good first save numbers, but gives up rebounds. Does that work with our defense? Or so and so is really good at controlling first and second shots, but if you are moving the puck side to side he isn't quick enough.

Personally I think a lot of people can scout a player and figure out strengths and weaknesses, but are they smart enough to identify guys that would fit.

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
I do not disagree with what you are saying. The real issue now is it can't be an excuse anymore.

I'd also add having a proper scouting staff could help big time too. The other thing when I mention proper scouting staff it doesn't just mean identifying talent, it's about identifying a player/goalie that fits within your organization.

This article really got me thinking yesterday. Whether those scout takes are accurate or not isn't really the point here. More are our scouts going into the depth that maybe so and so has really good first save numbers, but gives up rebounds. Does that work with our defense? Or so and so is really good at controlling first and second shots, but if you are moving the puck side to side he isn't quick enough.

Personally I think a lot of people can scout a player and figure out strengths and weaknesses, but are they smart enough to identify guys that would fit.

Most of the article's targets are solid. My personal favourite is Eric Comrie b/c of how cheap he is, UFA status, performance behind a weak defense, and age, DeSmith is another UFA I'm willing to play goalie roulette with, I would add Holtby to the list.

Last edited:

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Yeah thats exactly what hes saying get Vasilevsky.

Brilliant analysis hes a "high wire act" because his defense doesnt have Makar. So he sticks to the wall with forwards in his zone because he wants to play as third defender.

Maybe just maybe he consistently makes some pretty bad decisions with the puck but that would require you being even remotely critical.

Teams like Carolina changed their goalie multiple times.
Still stalking and chasing me around I see, answering my responses to other people. Looks like I'm going to have to charge you some rent.

In what world do you expect us to get Vasileskiy? It's no wonder people laugh at your posts.

I think you missed the point entirely, which is that paying a premium for a goalie can get you results.

Or maybe our D would be better at moving the puck out if Smith didn't keep starting firedrills in his own end with his erratic behaviour.
Not at all, you're the one completely missing the point. You brought up the 2 best goalies in the league, by far, as guys we should target. My point was not all the so called "premium goalies" below that tier turn out so well. Just ask some of the Flame fans.

And if you think our D is mobile enough to advance farther, I don't know what to say. I think we had one of the least mobile and puck moving defences of any team in the playoffs.

Last edited:

Marty McSurly

May 9, 2018

A good GM improves his team. It's his job to find players in a position of need. He has had 3 seasons to improve goaltending and dropped the ball again last season.

The highest paid GM in the NHL with two of the best forwards decided that the best solution was having a 39/40 year old Mike Smith backstop his team.

You can keep making excuses for Holland but those are the facts.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

I almost stopped reading when the writer said Kuemper played a key role in getting the Avs to the SC final, considering he played little more than a period of the entire conference championship.
And not a lot of praise for the 6 guys he brought up, so it doesn't leave much confidence. We're in a tough spot.

A good GM improves his team. It's his job to find players in a position of need. He has had 3 seasons to improve goaltending and dropped the ball again last season.

The highest paid GM in the NHL with two of the best forwards decided that the best solution was having a 39/40 year old Mike Smith backstop his team.

4.5 million man Koskinen is the primary reason we had to bring back the 39 year old Mike Smith. There is no excuse now.

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
Still stalking and chasing me around I see, answering my responses to other people. Looks like I'm going to have to charge you some rent.

In what world do you expect us to get Vasileskiy? It's no wonder people laugh at your posts.
No one is stalking you these are public boards and if you want to be the last man standing rushing to Smith's defense with "you wanted vasilievsky?? Maybe if we had makar in defense he wouldn't leave his crease!! " and other points of lunacy go ahead.

No one is saying we expect a vasilievsky or makar on defense. At the same time Smith makes the worst puck playing decisions in the league. It's acutalyl quantified so I guess that's why you're now getting so defensive.

More than anything at this stage you're amusing posters with your 24 7 defense of a soon to be retired Smith.

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007

You can keep dreaming a #1 will come here without giving up a massive piece or 2.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad