Confirmed with Link: Mike Smith Re-Signs 2 Years @2.2 million AAV

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
I don't disagree but he also handcuffed himself to improve the goaltending by taking the full Keith cap hit and having $6 million combined cap hit to Foegele and Kassian.

Those are self inflicted wounds by Holland.
Almost every contender: rosters loaded up with value contracts with young players poised for breakout or studs in their prime, almost no overpaid hurr durr muh intangibles and experience declining veterans. Ken Holland: Kassian+Keith+Barrie+Smithkonen for 20 million. Noegoales and Nurse will combine for 12 million next year too, not exactly value contracts. Not to mention all the dead cap he accumulated b/c of buyouts like Sekera that we could've just tanked a year or two more for.

Marty McSurly

May 9, 2018
You can keep dreaming a #1 will come here without giving up a massive piece or 2.

Huh?

When did I ever say we wouldn't have to give up something for a goalie? :laugh:

You saw how important goaltending was in the playoffs? The Oilers outscored Smith's below average tending against Calgary but couldn't against Colorado.

How many teams score 6 goals and 5 goals and LOSE BOTH GAMES? haha. I would give up a lot for a bona fide starting goalie and I hope Holland does also. That's why he gets the big bucks.

Again, to reiterate the statement that got you all 'hot and bothered': Holland dropped the ball last offseason and let's hope he doesn't do it again this summer.

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
Huh?

When did I ever say we wouldn't have to give up something for a goalie? :laugh:

You saw how important goaltending was in the playoffs? The Oilers outscored Smith's below average tending against Calgary but couldn't against Colorado.

How many teams score 6 goals and 5 goals and LOSE BOTH GAMES? haha. I would give up a lot for a bona fide starting goalie and I hope Holland does also. That's why he gets the big bucks.

Again, to reiterate the statement that got you all 'hot and bothered': Holland dropped the ball last offseason and let's hope he doesn't do it again this summer.
You seemed to be all hot and bothered when I asked who could we have gotten? Would you have been happy giving up a top prospect, a 1st and a 3rd for Kemper?

Or a 1st ++ for Fleury as we couldn't have afforded his cap so we would have had to pay to make him fit.

Again keep dreaming.

I want rid of Smith but it's not going to be easy to find a #1 goalie.

Markstrom sucked 2 years ago in the reg season and they missed the plaoffs then folded this year in the playoffs. Would you have wanted him at $6.5m.

Marty McSurly

May 9, 2018
You seemed to be all hot and bothered when I asked who could we have gotten? Would you have been happy giving up a top prospect, a 1st and a 3rd for Kemper?

Or a 1st ++ for Fleury as we couldn't have afforded his cap so we would have had to pay to make him fit.

Again keep dreaming.

I want rid of Smith but it's not going to be easy to find a #1 goalie.

Markstrom sucked 2 years ago in the reg season and they missed the plaoffs then folded this year in the playoffs. Would you have wanted him at $6.5m.

Let me simplify it for you since you still don't get it and some reason you expect me to be the GM lol.

I will be happy if they improve their goaltending as that is the biggest need. I do not care about the cost. Get it?

You seem satisfied with mediocrity and want to make excuses for Holland, so carry on.

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
Let me simplify it for you since you still don't get it and some reason you expect me to be the GM lol.

I will be happy if they improve their goaltending as that is the biggest need. I do not care about the cost. Get it?

You seem satisfied with mediocrity and want to make excuses for Holland, so carry on.
Glad you're not in charge. That's probably the dumbest idea I've heard in a while. So let's trade Draisaitl for Vasilevskiy? Or Broberg and a first for someone who could come here and shit the bed with our Defense. Smart... real smart. Goalies are Voodoo. You don't bet the farm on them.

We need to do our best at upgrading the goaltending but I think our Defense needs more work and even our bottom 6.

A true shutdown Defenseman and a true shut downtown line goes a LONG way to improving any goaltending shortfalls. Both we were sadly missing in these playoffs.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Glad you're not in charge. That's probably the dumbest idea I've heard in a while. So let's trade Draisaitl for Vasilevskiy? Or Broberg and a first for someone who could come here and shit the bed with our Defense. Smart... real smart. Goalies are Voodoo. You don't bet the farm on them.

We need to do our best at upgrading the goaltending but I think our Defense needs more work and even our bottom 6.

A true shutdown Defenseman and a true shut downtown line goes a LONG way to improving any goaltending shortfalls. Both we were sadly missing in these playoffs.
There still are good goalies and bad ones.

Reactions: Marty McSurly

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007

I could not disagree anymore if I tried the team has been upgrading bottom 6 and D for YEARS.

Holland defenders are shy about over paying for a goalie (the most important position on a team) but seem to be fine trading for an over the hill jag like Keith giving up a prospect a pick AND having to carry a huge cap hit.

Goalie is so far ahead of anything else for this team it is not funny. But then again we have had this same issue since the day holland took over and he has totally failed.

Reactions: Marty McSurly

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
I could not disagree anymore if I tried the team has been upgrading bottom 6 and D for YEARS.

Holland defenders are shy about over paying for a goalie (the most important position on a team) but seem to be fine trading for an over the hill jag like Keith giving up a prospect a pick AND having to carry a huge cap hit.

Goalie is so far ahead of anything else for this team it is not funny. But then again we have had this same issue since the day holland took over and he has totally failed.
Yeah well it doesn't help that we lost our #1 D to a career ending injury a couple years ago.

Look I do not like Smith but if Holland would have traded McLeod, a 1st and a conditional 3rd for Kemper fans would have lost their shit.

Also if he traded a 1st plus plus to fit the Flurey Salary that would have been very bad.

We need a goalie with out a doubt... maybe 2 actually.

Marty McSurly

May 9, 2018

I'm glad I'm not in charge either, but if I was, at least I know you would be there to make excuses for any f*** ups I make! :laugh:

Patch101

Feb 27, 2002
Kamloops
Anyone know if Mike Still lives in Kelowna?

Could have sworn I seen him coaching a Kelowna U13 team today in Kamloops.
Don't think his kids are that old yet though.

Lotsa nhl'ers coachin kids from there. Redden's coached against us a while ago.
My Daughter plays for Gainey's kid. That's fun.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton

Scared me with this bump. Thought Holland had decided to try and pull Smith out of retirement.

But yes he does live in Kelowna. Well at least he did when he played for the Oilers. No clue now.

dem

Mar 17, 2002
sting.gif

BY GAWD IS THAT MIKE SMITH?!?

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

I know someone that did a bunch of renos for him last year and sounded like he wasn't going anywhere anytime soon.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
Almost every contender: rosters loaded up with value contracts with young players poised for breakout or studs in their prime, almost no overpaid hurr durr muh intangibles and experience declining veterans. Ken Holland: Kassian+Keith+Barrie+Smithkonen for 20 million. Noegoales and Nurse will combine for 12 million next year too, not exactly value contracts. Not to mention all the dead cap he accumulated b/c of buyouts like Sekera that we could've just tanked a year or two more for.
Nurse will be taking care of the scoreless prodigy.

Fun fact: Ken Holland did sign Hasek at age 43.
Ken is from Holland. He signed Highman too.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Its interesting that this thread was bumped.

Right about the time Holland made the decision to extend Smith (for 2 years no less) was when he should have been trying to solve the goaltending issue.
Instead he just kicked the can down the road until he was cornered...at which point he put himself into a situation that severely limited his options...then he made a very bad decision.

The Smith contract is what started the journey down the road to Holland signing Jack Campbell.

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
Its interesting that this thread was bumped.

Right about the time Holland made the decision to extend Smith (for 2 years no less) was when he should have been trying to solve the goaltending issue.
Instead he just kicked the can down the road until he was cornered...at which point he put himself into a situation that severely limited his options...then he made a very bad decision.

The Smith contract is what started the journey down the road to Holland signing Jack Campbell.

Say what you will but Smith brought a lot of leadership to the room, and Mikko Koskinen and Skinner improved a lot from interacting with him.

Plus he gave us this beautiful memory

Edit: f*** off YouTube, the Sportsnet highlight of the Smith Talbot fight is age restricted now hahahahahahaha

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Say what you will but Smith brought a lot of leadership to the room, and Mikko Koskinen and Skinner improved a lot from interacting with him.

Plus he gave us this beautiful memory

Edit: f*** off YouTube, the Sportsnet highlight of the Smith Talbot fight is age restricted now hahahahahahaha

No arguing that at all. I really appreciated Mike Smiths leadership and what he brought to the team.

The issue for me is that signing Smith didnt address what really needed to be addressed.

Reactions: yukoner88

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad