Confirmed with Link: Mike Smith Re-Signs 2 Years @2.2 million AAV

FanOfSadTeam

Dec 12, 2010
People say we should be thankful because Smith actually played well and his save % was pretty good. But what people don't realise is that it could be even better if he didn't actively create dangerous chances for the opposing team!

If he was just giving it his all, I wouldn't have a problem with it. Like I don't have a problem with Kosko; he's not great but he's playing to his limit.

Why can't he just realise how much time is left and play the puck less. Wtf no other goalie pulls this kinda shit but him

Reactions: harpoon

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
The Oilers have played 15 playoff games, Smith has played playoff worthy 'quite good' in about 3 games. He has been 'okay' just lucky we can score good in about another 3 and he's been from bad to utterly terrible in about 9 games. The guy stinks and the end results are all too predicable for the oilers.

Good thing some tool signed him for two years last off season.

As usual, as always, for the whole off season people will be talking about how we need to upgrade bottom pair dmen and 4th liners. Goalie should have been top priority for the last 5 years.

It will be fun to hear about how people are 'okay' with a Skinner and Smith duo next year.
Not that I think a Smith-Skinner duo is acceptable next season if they want to make a Cup run but lets run down the other often discussed options of the last few offseason, some realistic some not.

Markstrom - 6 years $36M (Oilers could have had him. He got beat by Smith and the Oilers in Round 2 and yes, was outdueled by Smith which was more a testament to how bad Markstrom was but still...). Would they have been better off with Markstrom this playoff run?

Keumper - 4.5m caphit, would have cost Samorukov+1st (Helped keep St. Louis in that series and was getting pumped by the Oilers before he got injured). Would they have been better off with Keumper this playoff run?

MAF - 7m caphit, would have cost a 2nd or a 1st if they made it this far with him (Lost, soundly, in the 1st round to the team the Oilers opponent in the WCF beat). Would they have been better off with him? And this is assuming that he was going to waive for Edmonton, which he wasn't.

Varlamov - Didn't want to waive for Edmonton if the rumors are to be believed.

Gibson - Hasn't been good for years. Could be a function of playing on a bad team but is it worth selling the farm for him? Maybe, but it carries substantial risk if he's the next Matt Murray.

Get on Holland all you want and the 2nd year of Smith's contract is baffling just like the 2nd year on the depth guys and Keith is, but I'm struggling to see where the big upgrade was (a big enough upgrade worth the assets given up) that would have brought the Oilers to the next level this playoff run. This doesn't mean that they don't need an improvement in net (obviously), it just illustrates the voodoo that goaltending can be at times.
Even with the uneven goaltending, this is likely a much more competitive series with Drai and Nurse weren't as badly injured as they were.

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
At 2.2 mill are people really complaining. Most of the blame should be on our D where we are dishing out $25 Mill facing waves upon waves of attack

More people are mad at Holland for thinking this was a solution for a team that wanted to make an honest playoff run. I'm not mad at Mike Smith for being Mike Smith. What we have seen is why you dont have a lot of teams going with 40 year old goalies in playoffs irrespective of cap hit.

This is a problem that was not addressed and inspite of shortcoming on defense, for all the save percentage experts out there, .900 this series and we win games 1 and 4. Hes been below .870 since the kings series.

Thats on Holland for 3 years now.

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
Is there a certain price point where a parade of soft goals against are acceptable?

Yeah whats the point of having a guy come in on an ELC and let in 6 goals and say "but were only paying him on an ELC"? Is the point to be competitive in the playoffs or feel good about value contracts?

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
More people are mad at Holland for thinking this was a solution for a team that wanted to make an honest playoff run. I'm not mad at Mike Smith for being Mike Smith. What we have seen is why you dont have a lot of teams going with 40 year old goalies in playoffs irrespective of cap hit.

This is a problem that was not addressed and inspite of shortcoming on defense, for all the save percentage experts out there, .900 this series and we win games 1 and 4. Hes been below .870 since the kings series.

Fair about him not addressing this in 3 years but, as I stated above, who was a better realistic option that was a clear upgrade for THIS season? I still haven't seen anybody post one.

OilersaretheMcBest

Jun 3, 2006
Oil Country, AB, Can

Ya i get that, but out of our goaltending options he was the best choice and we don't make it past the Kings series or you could even argue the Flames series without him. I'd say it was a blessing we didnt end up with Markstrom this year also

Reactions: Stoneman89

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
Fair about him not addressing this in 3 years but, as I stated above, who was a better realistic option that was a clear upgrade for THIS season? I still haven't seen anybody post one.

There is no point posting someone because all Smith defenders will do is cope and say "omg he was awful for xxx....yeah but his xxxx save percentage" etc. Carolina improved their goaltending. TWICE. Again the Smith defenders will shriek how its all Carolinas defense how no goalie wants to come here but both Raanta and Andersen were good goalies before they came to Carolina.

Moves can be made and I dont buy the argument that Smith is the only option in the entire league.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
There is no point posting someone because all Smith defenders will do is cope and say "omg he was awful for xxx....yeah but his xxxx save percentage" etc. Carolina improved their goaltending. TWICE. Again the Smith defenders will shriek how its all Carolinas defense how no goalie wants to come here but both Raanta and Andersen were good goalies before they came to Carolina.

Moves can be made and I dont buy the argument that Smith is the only option in the entire league.
So no viable solution offered. Got it

BTW, where did Carolina's "improved" goaltending get them?

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
So just insulting the intention of my post for some odd reason (Smith defender blah blah blah) and no viable solution offered. Got it

I literally just showed you that Carolina improved their goaltending....Twice. It can be done. Im not going to play Smith fans explain Markstrom, Keumper, Gibson, Varlamov, Gibson lose to the Avs.

Youre going to see Holland do what were told is impossible and improve the goaltending this summer. If anything costs him his job - inaction on this would.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I literally just showed you that Carolina improved their goaltending....Twice. It can be done. Im not going to play Smith fans explain Markstrom, Keumper, Gibson, Varlamov, Gibson lose to the Avs.

Youre going to see Holland do what were told is impossible and improve the goaltending this summer. If anything costs him his job - inaction on this would.
Did you watch Markstrom and Keumper in these playoffs?
Markstrom didn't lose to the Avs, he lost to the Oilers, he wasn't good enough to beat Mike Smith and the Oilers to get to the Avs. Keumper was getting lit up like a Christmas tree against the Oilers before he got injured and was relatively subpar prior to that in the Blues series.

He needs to improve the goaltending, I don't think anybody is saying otherwise, but who would have been the better solution THIS season (which I clearly stated in the previous post). I still haven't seen someone come up with one. The best path is to develop your own, to be quite honest. Maybe Skinner is that guy. Look at past Cup winners and contenders, lots of homegrown goalies taking them there.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
Did you watch Markstrom and Keumper in these playoffs?
Markstrom didn't lose to the Avs, he lost to the Oilers, he wasn't good enough to beat Mike Smith and the Oilers to get to the Avs. Keumper was getting lit up like a Christmas tree against the Oilers before he got injured and was relatively subpar prior to that in the Blues series.

He needs to improve the goaltending, I don't think anybody is saying otherwise, but who would have been the better solution THIS season (which I clearly stated in the previous post). I still haven't seen someone come up with one. The best path is to develop your own, to be quite honest. Maybe Skinner is that guy. Look at past Cup winners and contenders, lots of homegrown goalies taking them there.

Youre linearly extrapolating their performance with Calgary/Avs to be a replica of those teams here. There is no guarantee they play exactly the same through whatever injury here in Edmonton. They could have very well been 100% healthy or even more injured.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Any goalie that can tank a game like Schmitty? Not just by being bad in net but doing completely stupid crap outside of it?

He had good moments in the playoffs but he is just so erratic. And seemed to get worse as the playoffs went on, likely as he was getting tired which will always happen if you keep going in the playoffs. I can't imagine Smith another year older going the distance. Holland needs to do whatever it takes to fix the goaltending this summer.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

Cuppy brought up various scenarios. Which ones (or others) are you suggesting he should have done?

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
Cuppy brought up various scenarios. Which ones (or others) are you suggesting he should have done?

Firing Smith and his defenders into the sun. That's the only plausible one. Only in Smith worship land is there no solution out there.

No matter who Holland gets this summer I'll be happy it's not Smith.

Any goalie that can tank a game like Schmitty? Not just by being bad in net but doing completely stupid crap outside of it?

He had good moments in the playoffs but he is just so erratic. And seemed to get worse as the playoffs went on, likely as he was getting tired which will always happen if you keep going in the playoffs. I can't imagine Smith another year older going the distance. Holland needs to do whatever it takes to fix the goaltending this summer.

Like you noted the biggest problem is his stupidity and arrogance. He clearly has processed nothing after costing this team first game of the playoffs. Why make that high risk play where a million things can go wrong.

Hurr durr boys love smiddy.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
So, you're doing your usual constant whining and complaining but offering up no other solutions. Gotcha. Par for the course.

So no viable solution offered. Got it

BTW, where did Carolina's "improved" goaltending get them?
His viable solution is just to whine and complain.

Reactions: TB12 and Drivesaitl

Marty McSurly

May 9, 2018
Why are fans having to offer "solutions" for the Oilers goaltending issues?

That's the job for the $5 million man. Kenny dropped the ball again last offseason. Smith sucks and actively cost his team games this post season. Same as it always has been with the guy.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
There wasn't one that 1) wanted to come to Edmonton and 2) would fit under the cap with 1) being the big issue. It seems pretty clear that Holland tried to upgrade in goal.

Now that is not to say that Holland has an excuse to sit on his hands this off season. He has to earn his money and it might mean making multiple creative moves. Not getting any cap relief in the Keith trade was an example that seems to suggest creativity is not his string suit.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Is there a certain price point where a parade of soft goals against are acceptable?
You'd really need to ask Flame fans if paying a premium is worth it to win a round. Not to mention miss the playoffs a year earlier.

Why are fans having to offer "solutions" for the Oilers goaltending issues?

That's the job for the $5 million man. Kenny dropped the ball again last offseason. Smith sucks and actively cost his team games this post season. Same as it always has been with the guy.
"Why are fans having to offer "solutions" for the Oilers goaltending issues?"

Because some of the fans on here think they're smarter than the GM.;)

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Skinner has absolutely not given us reasons he could be an NHL starter yet. He played fine against the easiest teams we could find him. That’s not something that makes you think he is starter ready. You are letting your love for the kid blind you for what he is ready for.
Why are you so hung up on the term “starter” here?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad