Confirmed with Link: Mike Smith Re-Signs 2 Years @2.2 million AAV

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Question, I don't think anyone would disagree the Oilers need a new starter. But, if the shoe was on the other foot, and the Oilers had Markstrom and he had the same preformance as he did for the Flames. Lost series and <.900 save percentage, how would you feel about the outlook and contract?
I'd question whether we wasted 6 years and 6 million dollars of cap hit.

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
All respect to Smith and his battling, but I think having a goalie with such shortcomings in his technique means no matter how well he plays and battles there will be some unnecessary hightlight saves (as they could've been stopped more easily) and easy goals. It's kind of strange to see a goalie with such weaknesses, who has still managed to be even this effective.

Battling is a polite term to say Smith is trying his best. I cringe everytime I hear this thrown around as praise towards him.

Reactions: Whyme

t0nedeff

Jun 29, 2010
Absolute loser. Woodcroft is a loser for starting him every single game after his horseshit performance game 1. How many times does a guy need to f*** up before the point gets through to you? If there were a way to lose a series 5 to nothing Woodcroft would have started him again.

Reactions: Marty McSurly

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
the only way anyone could truly believe that is if they don't watch any of the games
Theyre Smith fans first oiler fans second.

Absolute loser. Woodcroft is a loser for starting him every single game after his horseshit performance game 1. How many times does a guy need to f*** up before the point gets through to you? If there were a way to lose a series 5 to nothing Woodcroft would have started him again.

Yeah I figure in woodcroft defense if he starts Koskinen and we win 2 straight comfortably he looks bad starting Smith and going down 3 games.

RandomGuy79

Oct 4, 2017
Surrey
Theyre Smith fans first oiler fans second.

Yeah I figure in woodcroft defense if he starts Koskinen and we win 2 straight comfortably he looks bad starting Smith and going down 3 games.

That's a pretty strong accusation that Woodcroft would rather lose with Smith than win with Koskinen because he is worried it would make him look "bad".

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
Look. 2.2 million dollar performance from the 2.2 million dollar goalie. Shouldn't be the starter to begin with. That's on Holland. That said, please retire.
Yes always said this was Holland's fault. Smith just isn't a big game player. He does seem like a stubborn guy who never learns and he ends the playoffs like he started. Wandering out of his net like an idiot costing this team a game.

MettleMcOiler

5-14-6-1
Mar 9, 2011
Edmonton
Smith, I think you battled hard the whole playoffs. You helped us get to the third round, and you deserve credit for that.

Since you have 1 more year.
My only complaint is I feel you lose your composure when you get too heated.

That's it.

Reactions: TheNumber4

Chet Manley

Apr 15, 2007
Regina, SK
Laying this series loss on Smith is just lazy scapegoating. The Avs dominated in every fashion minus a few brief moments. Smith had a way harder time than the guys at the other end with Francouz barely tested minus 1 period of hockey.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Smith wasn’t good in a series where his D was absolutely atrocious and we went up against literally one of the best teams in the West.

That being said, a 2.2M starter that got us through to round 3 may still have been the most optimal move by a GM all other options considered. Unless you have an option that would have been better. Us “Smith over Oilers fans” are still all ears for your miracle solution to goaltending.

MettleMcOiler

5-14-6-1
Mar 9, 2011
Edmonton
Smith wasn’t good in a series where his D was absolutely atrocious and we went up against literally one of the best teams in the West.

That being said, a 2.2M starter that got us through to round 3 may still have been the most optimal move by a GM all other options considered. Unless you have an option that would have been better. Us “Smith over Oilers fans” are still all ears for your miracle solution to goaltending.

Smith for playoff value to his contract. Is OUTSTANDING.

Smith as your backup in the Playoffs for 1 year would be extremely valuable for any playoff team.

Smith is unique because he plays with the most fire in his game than most goaltenders jmo. You think Fire, you have to think of Smith's fire for the game. Choatic but he can give you some timely saves.

Give us a 1a goalie and Smith 1b for next year.

Oilers can do it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad