Mike Richards (Warning in OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
Richards has been sucking for far longer than Kopita.

Not this season he hasn't, what team are you watching?

Since scoring seems to be a big part of this thread, here's a stat for you. Despite getting 4:29 less ice time per game (1:24 less PP time) he has one less point than Kopitar. For all the crap Richards gets about production, he's I think top five in points per 20 minutes on the team.

Give Richards the same ice time (and linemates for that matter) and let's see whose outproducing who. Why Sutter keeps his ice time down while playing Stoll so much is beyond me.

ScoreZeGoals

Boooorrrrriiiinnnnng
Jun 29, 2010
Richards has been sucking for far longer than Kopita.

I wish Kopi played as well as Richards has this season. Richards has one fewer point, but plays over 4 minutes less per game, plays with MUCH lesser players, is a -1 to Kopi's -4, and gets about half of Kopi's PP time

moosehead81

Jan 7, 2012
Great White North
Why Sutter keeps his ice time down while playing Stoll so much is beyond me.

That's got me perplexed too.

As I said yesterday (and I'm a Richards fan so take it whatever way you want), if Sutter wants to treat Richards the way he has over the past 10 games or so, then try and trade him to someplace where he can get a fresh start. I'm sure MR is not a happy camper right now and if Sutter is testing him for some reason, can some-body please enlighten me as to what that reason may be. Richards seems to have fulfilled his promise to Dean Lombardi from mid summer and his play, to date, shows that commitment to being in better shape and having a positive outlook. But, man o man, it must be tough when you're continually put in a position to fail, rather than be given some sort of extended opportunity to succeed.

As I also implied yesterday, I'm thinking maybe Sutter has completed his 3-4 year shelf life early and has lost the team. Some of his in-game decisions are goofy and the player facial expressions on the bench say it all.

Ollie Weeks

the sea does not dream of you
Feb 28, 2008
I've said it before and I'll say it again. I don't think Sutter has lost faith in Richards. I just think he likes Stoll more.

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
That's got me perplexed too.

As I said yesterday (and I'm a Richards fan so take it whatever way you want), if Sutter wants to treat Richards the way he has over the past 10 games or so, then try and trade him to someplace where he can get a fresh start. I'm sure MR is not a happy camper right now and if Sutter is testing him for some reason, can some-body please enlighten me as to what that reason may be. Richards seems to have fulfilled his promise to Dean Lombardi from mid summer and his play, to date, shows that commitment to being in better shape and having a positive outlook. But, man o man, it must be tough when you're continually put in a position to fail, rather than be given some sort of extended opportunity to succeed.

As I also implied yesterday, I'm thinking maybe Sutter has completed his 3-4 year shelf life early and has lost the team. Some of his in-game decisions are goofy and the player facial expressions on the bench say it all.

Agree with the Richards' comments but disagree about Sutter.

Two Cups in 3 1/2 years. He has another 1 or 2 left before he retires and then John Stevens will take over.

bouncesonly

May 1, 2014
San Diego
Give Richards the same ice time (and linemates for that matter) and let's see whose outproducing who. Why Sutter keeps his ice time down while playing Stoll so much is beyond me.

Because Stoll has less goals scored on him with more minutes played than Richards (over 1 goal more per 60 minutes played)?

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Sutter has lost the team because he won't play Mike Richards as much as some of you guys want? Now heard that from multiple posters, just incredible.

You don't think the fact that basically every time he has increased his responsibility that it has blown up in his (Sutter's) face?

Mike Richards has stunk in every role he has played the last 100+ games with the exception of fourth line center, where he has actually played pretty well this year. I know a few of you are Richards fans first and Kings fans second, but why is it so hard to just embrace the role he has been playing pretty well this season rather than watching him struggle to keep up in either an offensive or defensive role.

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
Exactly. Some people are defending this guy until the end. He is invisible.

Jeff Carter has been invisible too, but I don't worry about him considering what he did under pressure at the Olympics and in the playoffs.

But Richards' has only shown he can be effective as a 3rd or 4th line center...and that price...it's not worth it. It's also not fair to put Richards' on the 4th line again. Not fair to him or the Kings and players like Lewis, Andreoff, Shore, etc. who could play that position for 1/10 the price.

KBA4life

Oct 22, 2003
Los Angeles
Visit site
Sutter has lost the team because he won't play Mike Richards as much as some of you guys want? Now heard that from multiple posters, just incredible.

You don't think the fact that basically every time he has increased his responsibility that it has blown up in his (Sutter's) face?

Mike Richards has stunk in every role he has played the last 100+ games with the exception of fourth line center, where he has actually played pretty well this year. I know a few of you are Richards fans first and Kings fans second, but why is it so hard to just embrace the role he has been playing pretty well this season rather than watching him struggle to keep up in either an offensive or defensive role.

Bingo. Richards' decline has a ton to do with past concussions for sure, but he has to look at himself in the mirror. It's inexcusable for a pro athlete making millions to not be in top shape, perpetually.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
Richards hasn't been bad with his brief spells in the top six either this season. What exactly is the problem ?

Ollie Weeks

Feb 28, 2008
Richards hasn't been bad with his brief spells in the top six either this season. What exactly is the problem ?

I'll tell you the problem. The problem is it doesn't fit the one-dimensional narrative began last year and continued this year. It HAS to match.

Its like a bad sports announcer shoehorning his "story to watch for" into the game regardless if it makes sense or not. Its pathetic.

Chain

Feb 2, 2014
Not this season he hasn't, what team are you watching?

Since scoring seems to be a big part of this thread, here's a stat for you. Despite getting 4:29 less ice time per game (1:24 less PP time) he has one less point than Kopitar. For all the crap Richards gets about production, he's I think top five in points per 20 minutes on the team.

On the other end of that though, who are the lines he's facing when he's on the ice? Of course the amount of ice time he's getting and who his linemates are should be looked at when evaluating his place, but so should the lines of the opponents he's facing when on the ice. I'd imagine he's spending most of his time against the 3rd/4th line of the opposition, no? Do we have those stats somewhere? I don't.

Just using my eyes, which are far from a perfect method of measurement, Richards seems to be playing decently, all things considered. Definitely better than Kopi right now.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Bingo. Richards' decline has a ton to do with past concussions for sure, but he has to look at himself in the mirror. It's inexcusable for a pro athlete making millions to not be in top shape, perpetually.

I don't know what triggered the collapse in Richards game from one of the best 2nd line centers in the league to a fourth line center in two short years. There are so many theories ranging from concussions, to work ethic issues to last years 6 month viral infection. I just know that he is a bottom six player (and a pretty good one this season)

I'll tell you the problem. The problem is it doesn't fit the one-dimensional narrative began last year and continued this year. It HAS to match.

Its like a bad sports announcer shoehorning his "story to watch for" into the game regardless if it makes sense or not. Its pathetic.

Yes, the narrative that Richards has had massive defensive issues with the Kings the last couple of years. Who wants to read the advanced stats, they just get in the way anyways. I mean, did you even watch the Chicago series last year, it was embarrassing defensive hockey.

Really, as a top 6 he is expected to produce, what were his stats? And Richards has already proven he can't play wing, so it involves moving Carter to RW and hurts the teams strength down the middle. Or are you in the group that wants to switch Kopitar and Richards?

Exactly. Some people are defending this guy until the end. He is invisible.

Jeff Carter has been invisible too, but I don't worry about him considering what he did under pressure at the Olympics and in the playoffs.

But Richards' has only shown he can be effective as a 3rd or 4th line center...and that price...it's not worth it. It's also not fair to put Richards' on the 4th line again. Not fair to him or the Kings and players like Lewis, Andreoff, Shore, etc. who could play that position for 1/10 the price.

Richards is much better than Andreoff and Lewis. Andreoff looked awful in the games he played as a King and Lewis is better on the wing where he can better utilize his speed. Obviously a $5.7 million a year fourth line center is not a realistic option beyond this season, but as of now with the VV situation the Kings don't have to do anything, and having Richards there is an asset.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
I don't know what triggered the collapse in Richards game from one of the best 2nd line centers in the league to a fourth line center in two short years. There are so many theories ranging from concussions, to work ethic issues to last years 6 month viral infection. I just know that he is a bottom six player (and a pretty good one this season)

Yes, the narrative that Richards has had massive defensive issues with the Kings the last couple of years. Who wants to read the advanced stats, they just get in the way anyways. I mean, did you even watch the Chicago series last year, it was embarrassing defensive hockey.

Really, as a top 6 he is expected to produce, what were his stats? And Richards has already proven he can't play wing, so it involves moving Carter to RW and hurts the teams strength down the middle. Or are you in the group that wants to switch Kopitar and Richards?

Richards is much better than Andreoff and Lewis. Andreoff looked awful in the games he played as a King and Lewis is better on the wing where he can better utilize his speed. Obviously a $5.7 million a year fourth line center is not a realistic option beyond this season, but as of now with the VV situation the Kings don't have to do anything, and having Richards there is an asset.

Who in the top Six, is producing at a career normal pace other than Justin Williams/Stoll/(maybe Carter) ? (we don't know Tyler Toffoli/Pearson's yet).

Richards has played about as well as you can expect the guy, He is no longer a 60 point Center, or a 50 point center.

We all know this(or should), You know this. So why is anyone whining about his production ? The guy is a 40 point Center. All I said was "Richards has been fine in a top six role", it's been brief anyway, so why is anyone upset with that ?

No I don't think Mike should replace Kopitar on a permanent basis. Anymore stupid questions ? , Cause that's a stupid question.

Last edited:

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
I am liking that Carter and Kopitar are on the same line. How did this happen? because Richards is playing well enough to be their #2 centre again.

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
On the other end of that though, who are the lines he's facing when he's on the ice? Of course the amount of ice time he's getting and who his linemates are should be looked at when evaluating his place, but so should the lines of the opponents he's facing when on the ice. I'd imagine he's spending most of his time against the 3rd/4th line of the opposition, no? Do we have those stats somewhere? I don't.

Just using my eyes, which are far from a perfect method of measurement, Richards seems to be playing decently, all things considered. Definitely better than Kopi right now.

Yeah, i don't have those stats either, not sure who, if anyone, keeps them. Would be a good read to see a matrix for quality of opponent faced

Ollie Weeks

Feb 28, 2008

And you're STILL going on about last year like it means a damn thing right now.

But that is actually the first time I have ever seen you respond to or acknowledge anything involving a possibility of Richard's illness. This is an improvement. It demonstrates at least a willingness to explore and analyze.

Few ever argued Richards had defensive problems last year, particularly in the 2nd half of the year. I certainly never did. The stats back it up, the eye test backed it up. The problem is you only have the (somewhat outdated) WHAT nailed down, and its akin to banging a drum and shouting.

What you particularly have always had issues with is the WHEN, WHY and HOW. WHEN did his game fall off? WHY did it fall off? HOW did it fall off (aka is it liable to return or not)? These are the questions you callously brush off in order hammer your points home, and its been that way for a year now.

Jul 31, 2005
CA
On the road, 15 games played, 4 goals, 4 assists, +4. At home 16 games played, 0 goals, 4 assists, -5. Richards averages 1:42 of PP time a game and has managed 3 points all season with the man advantage.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
On the road, 15 games played, 4 goals, 4 assists, +4. At home 16 games played, 0 goals, 4 assists, -5. Richards averages 1:42 of PP time a game and has managed 3 points all season with the man advantage.

Make him stay in a hotel in LA :sarcasm:

He's looking pretty vintage tonight though.

Ron*

Richards is playing fine.

For those of you say that we need to move Richards, I don't think anyone is going to pick up his contract. Kings would have to take some money back, and would that count against the cap?

Can some capologist let us know whether that would be the case?

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
Richards is playing fine.

For those of you say that we need to move Richards, I don't think anyone is going to pick up his contract. Kings would have to take some money back, and would that count against the cap?

Can some capologist let us know whether that would be the case?

It would count.

The time for the Kings to rid themselves of Richards cap hit (Free and Clear) was last off-season.

That ship sailed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad