Mike Richards (Warning in OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jason Lewis

Oct 4, 2011
I feel like Nick Shore is next summer's Andrehoff.

Nick Shore will be way more impactful on this roster than Andreoff.

He is more than likely Stoll's replacement in the short term, and a potential 2C 3C in the long (Depending on how Kempe develops)

Ron*

Fans, bloggers, and now the media are all saying he is going to get traded and has been awful.

Fans, bloggers, media, and even mayors were saying the same thing about Justin Williams last season and he won the Conn Smythe.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

He is more than likely Stoll's replacement in the short term, and a potential 2C 3C in the long (Depending on how Kempe develops)

I thought Kempe was a winger? But yeah, all signs point to Shore showing up big and soon. Seems to have really absorbed the pro game, smart kid.

bmr

Jan 23, 2013
I agree with what DL did regarding Richards. Yes, his production has dropped off but the guy is still valuable in the playoffs. He produced a lot of the important, game winning plays in the last few years and I see no reason for that to change at this point.

bmr

Jan 23, 2013
I thought Kempe was a winger? But yeah, all signs point to Shore showing up big and soon. Seems to have really absorbed the pro game, smart kid.

Yep, he's a LW according to hockeydb. I thought I remember him playing Center at some point, though.

Shore is the kind of guy who is the perfect replacement for Stoll. Can't wait til he gets his shot. If any injuries to center, I say he gets a look this year and definitely next year.

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
I recall I think it was Rosen responding to it and referencing DL's meeting with Richards, but he saw what he needed to see and was convinced to keep him. I'll try to look it up later, but maybe I'm misremembering, too.

I think I recall Rosen commenting as well, but it was just about DL telling Richards to get in shape. Any buy out talk was per speculation of Rosen IIRC, not something he heard or knew of.

Jason Lewis

Oct 4, 2011

Kempe is like Prokhorkin from what I understand and can play either center or wing. I could be mistaken though. Thought I heard he was getting some play at C.

EDIT: My fault I mixed him up with Porkins. Kempe goes LW/RW but not C. Prokhorkin can play LW and C primarily.

The Night King

Mar 25, 2014
California
Some of us aren't the only ones...

http://www.rantsports.com/nhl/2014/...most-disappointing-player-so-far-this-season/

So recap Mike Richards' in the past year...

Demoted to 4th line Center during 2nd Cup Run.

Almost bought out over summer.

Ice time down again this year.

Called out by coach for defensive lapses.

Fans, bloggers, and now the media are all saying he is going to get traded and has been awful.

This sounds like an attack ad for a guy running for governor.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006

I think if Shore had played in junior hockey instead of the NCAA, he might have already gotten the call. I think the Kings are being cautious to see how he stands up to a full pro season.

Nick Shore is more talented than Andy.

All I'm saying is he is a prospect until he is not. I always get a chuckle out of "we need to get rid of <insert player here> to make room for <insert prospect here>". I hope he is a great player but he has played zero NHL games.

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
Fans, bloggers, media, and even mayors were saying the same thing about Justin Williams last season and he won the Conn Smythe.

There was talk of buying out Williams? Sutter called him out in the media? There was a 10 page thread about it? There were numerous articles and blogs dedicated to his crappy play? I don't recall.

DonKingKong

Dec 18, 2014
Mike Richards is a critical part of this teams success since his arrival. His scoring is down but he is still one of the better players in the game and an all or nothing kind of guy. He is critical to our remaining a contender or at least I think so.

Trolfoli

May 30, 2013
If Carter keeps dominating on the wing with Gabby/Kopi like they did tonight there's no way the Kings will be able to part with Richards.... :handclap:

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
If Carter keeps dominating on the wing with Gabby/Kopi like they did tonight there's no way the Kings will be able to part with Richards.... :handclap:

Ans this is what I am asking for for Christmas. A healthy productive top line of Gaborik, Kopitar, and Carter.
This way Richards can play consistently in a 2nd line role and shut a lot of people up.

Trolfoli

May 30, 2013
Standard horrible defense on the Blues 4th goal which could of been a back-breaker. Can't believe he was ever a Selke finalist.

Wait... you're talking about the weak backhander that Quick should have had?

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
Kings win 6-4 and Richard's goes pointless. Lol.

In 10 games, he has 2 assists. Really worth the 5.75 million....and a -2.

The first 5 games of those games he did not even register a hit...Wow.

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
Kings win 6-4 and Richard's goes pointless. Lol.

In 10 games, he has 2 assists. Really worth the 5.75 million....and a -2.

The first 5 games of those games he did not even register a hit...Wow.

Dustin Brown went pointless too despite getting nearly three minutes more ice time, hasn't scored a point in his last seven games while going -6 in that span, has scored fewer points all season than Richards (and last year too) and has a higher cap hit and more ice time per game all season (by about two minutes per game, but yeah, let's ignore all that.

moosehead81

Jan 7, 2012
Great White North
Dustin Brown went pointless too despite getting nearly three minutes more ice time, hasn't scored a point in his last seven games while going -6 in that span, has scored fewer points all season than Richards (and last year too) and has a higher cap hit and more ice time per game all season (by about two minutes per game, but yeah, let's ignore all that.

And Brown is signed at a cap hit higher than Richards until the year 2022 but, for whatever reason, Richards seems to get all the hate. Does anybody really honestly believe that the Kings would have won the Stanley Cup 2 of the past 3 years without Richards and Carter; that they would have won with Simmonds, Schenn and Johnson, all else being equal? I just think this Richards thing is like a contagion, people just can't help themselves but to add on to the criticism. I almost wish Lombardi would get rid of him to end this piling on and give him a fresh start. And a fresh start might bring back a good percentage of the Richards of old, rather than the current 13 minute edition of a player who, for whatever reason, looks like he has lost the confidence of his coach.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011

Funny how no one brings up Brown. Richards has outplayed him by a fair margin. Richards had a strong game last night and has played well in his role all season. Anyone who realistically expects him to be moved mid-season is delusional. Dean will re-assess the roster this offseason - like he always does - and will have a better read on the Voynov situation. Then he'll make moves accordingly. Brown's contract and performance is exponentially more frightening than anything involving Richards.

And Brown is signed at a cap hit higher than Richards until the year 2022 but, for whatever reason, Richards seems to get all the hate. Does anybody really honestly believe that the Kings would have won the Stanley Cup 2 of the past 3 years without Richards and Carter; that they would have won with Simmonds, Schenn and Johnson, all else being equal? I just think this Richards thing is like a contagion, people just can't help themselves but to add on to the criticism. I almost wish Lombardi would get rid of him to end this piling on and give him a fresh start. And a fresh start might bring back a good percentage of the Richards of old, rather than the current 13 minute edition of a player who, for whatever reason, looks like he has lost the confidence of his coach.

It will all be deflected elsewhere if that happens.

Richards deserves flack as his game has fallen off. There is no question about it. The same is true for Brown. But the witchhunt is absurd. Then you have the blue chip players like Kopitar, Carter and Gaborik who up until a few games ago, were all struggling quite a bit.

Just as an example of how ridiculous this place can be at times, there were posters on here that were actually complaining about the defense last year with Regehr being the focal point. One person was calling him the worth defensemen in the NHL. Can you believe that? This team played most (if not all) of the year and finished the year with the lowest goals against but at one point during the season last year people were focused on bashing the defense and Regehr. It's borderline comical.

I've said it in this thread a handful of times but I'll let the guy who managed this team to two Stanley Cups make the personnel and accounting decisions. Another thing that is funny to me is that a lot of the people in here bashing Richards were people that were very critical of Dean Lombardi until he took the Kings to the promised land. I'm not pointing the fingers and anyone in particular but I do think some people like to have something to complain about.

Funny how no one brings up Brown. Richards has outplayed him by a fair margin. Richards had a strong game last night and has played well in his role all season. Anyone who realistically expects him to be moved mid-season is delusional. Dean will re-assess the roster this offseason - like he always does - and will have a better read on the Voynov situation. Then he'll make moves accordingly. Brown's contract and performance is exponentially more frightening than anything involving Richards.

I would agree and I think Brown's game is more likely to deteriorate further as he gets older. Richards sees the game much better. Maybe both should go? Maybe people ought to divest themselves for the nostalgia of Brown being the first Kings player to hold the Cup? The bottom line is neither need to go now but you have people who want to beat the drum.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
Dustin Brown's contract is just ugly. The Kings can't buy it out(it's not eligible), Brown has a limited (handshake) NMC/NTC with Lombardi (I am guessing a gentlemen agreement).

Just an ugly contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad