Mike Richards (Warning in OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
Everyone acts like trading Richards would be easy.

The guy is a 35-40 point 5.8 million cap hit....What teams are lining up for those ? What teams are in the business of doing the Kings a favor ? (besides Columbus)

Kings have to make due, put Richards into spots he can excel and succeeded(limit his minutes).

Mike has to accept his role has changed, just like Stoll had too.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
It Looks like Kopitar is trying to win Herby's green jacket award.

Kopitar is a minus Eight in his last four games.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
It Looks like Kopitar is trying to win Herby's green jacket award.

Kopitar is a minus Eight in his last four games.

_41542370_mickelsonwoods_al416.jpg

Can someone please photoshop this with Richards and Kopitar.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
Ohhhh man I love it. hahaha

Look at Richards face....He has the "You have earned this bro" look on his face.

Last edited:

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
On the road, 15 games played, 4 goals, 4 assists, +4. At home 16 games played, 0 goals, 4 assists, -5. Richards averages 1:42 of PP time a game and has managed 3 points all season with the man advantage.

Brown and Toffoli have 3 points on the PP as well all year. Whats your point? Only four players on the entire team have 5 or more PP points, only three are forwards.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
And you're STILL going on about last year like it means a damn thing right now.

But that is actually the first time I have ever seen you respond to or acknowledge anything involving a possibility of Richard's illness. This is an improvement. It demonstrates at least a willingness to explore and analyze.

Few ever argued Richards had defensive problems last year, particularly in the 2nd half of the year. I certainly never did. The stats back it up, the eye test backed it up. The problem is you only have the (somewhat outdated) WHAT nailed down, and its akin to banging a drum and shouting.

What you particularly have always had issues with is the WHEN, WHY and HOW. WHEN did his game fall off? WHY did it fall off? HOW did it fall off (aka is it liable to return or not)? These are the questions you callously brush off in order hammer your points home, and its been that way for a year now.

wait, do people really think he was sick for 6 months last year?

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI

Yes.

Kind of like how the Kings equipment guy couldn't cut Jeremy Roenick's skates the right way and that is what doomed him here.

In all seriousness, RP said it best below, he probably did have some kind of illness, but it was pretty funny to see people blaming the same illness they were in December when he couldn't keep up with Michal Handzus on the OT goal in Game 5 in late May. Richards was so bad last year it's hard to even figure out why, he was on most nights the worst player on the ice for the Kings. And I don't even know if you can blame him, it was more on Sutter last year putting him in poor situations. This year Richards has been fine as the Kings fourth line center, wouldn't call his play good, but wouldn't call it bad either, but again compared to last year it is night and day, and the Kings have much bigger issues than fourth line center right now.

I think atleast one of him or Stoll is gone in the summer, but right now they are not that big a problem as the bottom six centers because of the Voynov cap space.

Last edited:

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
I do believe he was sick. Not for 6 months though. Being sick along with poor conditioning and fitness is a recipe for disaster. And...

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
I don't think anyone claimed Richards was sick for six months. You're going to have to quote someone on that.

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA

moosehead81

Jan 7, 2012
Great White North
Some of us aren't the only ones...

http://www.rantsports.com/nhl/2014/...most-disappointing-player-so-far-this-season/

So recap Mike Richards' in the past year...

Demoted to 4th line Center during 2nd Cup Run.

Almost bought out over summer.

Ice time down again this year.

Called out by coach for defensive lapses.

Fans, bloggers, and now the media are all saying he is going to get traded and has been awful.

Read this so-called "rant"- if this "writer" is "disappointed" in Richards, I'd hate to see what he thinks of Kopitar, Brown, Carter et al. You cannot "contribute or elevate your game" unless you're put in a position (by the coach) to do so.

Trolfoli

May 30, 2013
Everyone acts like trading Richards would be easy.

The guy is a 35-40 point 5.8 million cap hit....What teams are lining up for those ? What teams are in the business of doing the Kings a favor ? (besides Columbus)

Kings have to make due, put Richards into spots he can excel and succeeded(limit his minutes).

Mike has to accept his role has changed, just like Stoll had too.

Look around the league at the center depth of a few teams....

Edmonton.... desperate for centers.... can not obtain centers because even guys like Vinny Lecavalier would rather be benched then play in Edmonton (NTC)... could use a vet center to help McDavid adjust to the NHL.

Washington.... needs help at center... 8 getting older burning years when they need to be making the playoffs....

Nashville... Who are their Centers they're running? Now they are doing well in the standings so they aren't as desperate as say the Oilers.

When it comes down to it Richards is one of the better centers out there that doesn't have an NTC.

This 4th line stuff is funny... in the playoffs when the bench was shortened Richards was a center on one of the 3 lines.... he's been an effective center/player through 2 cups and a western conference final in the last 3 years... deal with it.

The year the Kings lost to the Hawks in the WCF wasn't he leading the team in scoring before the head shot?

kingsfan

Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
Some of us aren't the only ones...

http://www.rantsports.com/nhl/2014/...most-disappointing-player-so-far-this-season/

So recap Mike Richards' in the past year...

Demoted to 4th line Center during 2nd Cup Run.

Almost bought out over summer.

Ice time down again this year.

Called out by coach for defensive lapses.

Fans, bloggers, and now the media are all saying he is going to get traded and has been awful.

Johnny, how can you claim Richards was "Almost bought out over summer" yet link an article that says "However, even before the Kings raised the Cup for the second time last season, rumors were swirling that Richards would be subjected to an amnesty buyout following the season in light of his diminishing productivity and role with the team. Kings GM Dean Lombardi quickly quashed those rumors, opting to keep a very tight-knit and highly successful team intact."

Can you find one source that says Richards was "almost bought out over the summer?" And by source I don't mean speculation, I mean someone who actually has insider info that shows DL even considered buying out Richards? I have not seen anyone with any intel saying that was ever seriously discussed, only people like you on HF.

kingsfan

Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
Look around the league at the center depth of a few teams....

Edmonton.... desperate for centers.... can not obtain centers because even guys like Vinny Lecavalier would rather be benched then play in Edmonton (NTC)... could use a vet center to help McDavid adjust to the NHL.

Washington.... needs help at center... 8 getting older burning years when they need to be making the playoffs....

Nashville... Who are their Centers they're running? Now they are doing well in the standings so they aren't as desperate as say the Oilers.

When it comes down to it Richards is one of the better centers out there that doesn't have an NTC.

This 4th line stuff is funny... in the playoffs when the bench was shortened Richards was a center on one of the 3 lines.... he's been an effective center/player through 2 cups and a western conference final in the last 3 years... deal with it.

The year the Kings lost to the Hawks in the WCF wasn't he leading the team in scoring before the head shot?

I'm not sure if Richards would want to go back to Philly but I could see Hextall wanting him there. A Lecavalier for Richards type swap would definately be something Philly considers I bet. Richards won't be easy to move, but there would be takers out there if LA is willing to take on a contract of three years or more that has a bit of a high cap hit.

Ollie Weeks

the sea does not dream of you
Feb 28, 2008

No. But his fitness was questionable before and shot after. Its as simple as that. Not a defense, but an explanation.

Just another instance of neglecting even the mildest of distinctions, I guess.

KBA4life

Oct 22, 2003
Los Angeles
Visit site
Read this so-called "rant"- if this "writer" is "disappointed" in Richards, I'd hate to see what he thinks of Kopitar, Brown, Carter et al. You cannot "contribute or elevate your game" unless you're put in a position (by the coach) to do so.

Again, Richards' poor play in a minute eating, top six role is what led to his demotion to the 4th line. MR is the reason he's in a position to not "elevate his game". Herby mentioned this earlier, but Sutter has attempted to use Richards in more offensive 5-on-5 situations sporadically this season: each time was brief due to lack of production and due to defensive liabilities.

bmr

Jan 23, 2013
I feel like Nick Shore is next summer's Andrehoff.

Two completely different players. Andreoff is basically Clifford v.2. He's not going to be putting up big offensive numbers in the NHL and is used mostly for a checking/energy role. Shore is defensively responsible and very good in the FO circle. He would be a great #3C/#4C for next year assuming his development stays on target.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Johnny, how can you claim Richards was "Almost bought out over summer" yet link an article that says "However, even before the Kings raised the Cup for the second time last season, rumors were swirling that Richards would be subjected to an amnesty buyout following the season in light of his diminishing productivity and role with the team. Kings GM Dean Lombardi quickly quashed those rumors, opting to keep a very tight-knit and highly successful team intact."

Can you find one source that says Richards was "almost bought out over the summer?" And by source I don't mean speculation, I mean someone who actually has insider info that shows DL even considered buying out Richards? I have not seen anyone with any intel saying that was ever seriously discussed, only people like you on HF.

I recall I think it was Rosen responding to it and referencing DL's meeting with Richards, but he saw what he needed to see and was convinced to keep him. I'll try to look it up later, but maybe I'm misremembering, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->