Mike Richards (Warning in OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I'm re-opening this discussion due to PMs and because it's become apparent that Richie is a common theme across all threads and even visitors to our forum want to chime in so we may as well re-localize it to keep everything else on topic.

That being said, ways to get this thread locked: off-the-ice hearsay/libel, personal attacks, drive-bys with no evidence (statistical or eye test), or random trolling/flaming even by visitors. There will be no warnings, only infractions.

All off-thread-topic Richards talk will be moved here.

Go ahead and get it all out of your system, but be respectful.

Ollie Weeks

the sea does not dream of you
Feb 28, 2008
This could be like a HansH-esque project, with game by game updates!

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
This could be like a HansH-esque project, with game by game updates!

:laugh:

Tonight, Mike had 12:15 of icetime, a goal, an assist, a penalty, a bad turnover, ice cream, and 7 hours of sleep.

I agree though, I'm glad Sutter sent a message loud and clear and I'm glad Mike got it loud and clear--if we have to get less minutes from him but they are better minutes, I'm all for it. Oddly, that line we were prancing out as a 4th line was masquerading as a 2nd line early this season, so it's whatever, the extra depth helps.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
I don't put much stock into the numerical order of lines. If the "fourth line" is getting it done, so be it, I'm happy.

lexlavender

Jun 9, 2013
I don't put much stock into the numerical order of lines. If the "fourth line" is getting it done, so be it, I'm happy.

Yeah, if they are all scoring it doesn't really matter who's the "Top-line". In a perfect world, all 4 lines would each score a goal. i think that is the ideal Sutter and Lombardi are trying to go for, balance across all four lines in terms of scoring, along with a solid defense.

In any case, last Game Mike Richards was second in corsi percentage on the team with the 4th least minutes. In fact, the entire 4th line had an average of 75.9 corsi percentage. Even everyone that dislikes stats has to agree that that is a **** ton of possession. Especially for the line with the least minutes.

Conclusion: Mike Richards dominates other teams' 4th lines. We have the depth to leave MR on that line and not really be hurt by it, and if it gets him going a bit, puts a little hustle in his game, and gets him pumped for playoffs, I say go for it. Lets get his engine going, stick him next to Carter again, and watch them tear it up in playoffs. :yo:

minor edit: yes i know small sample size, but don't spoil my fun.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Yeah, if they are all scoring it doesn't really matter who's the "Top-line". In a perfect world, all 4 lines would each score a goal. i think that is the ideal Sutter and Lombardi are trying to go for, balance across all four lines in terms of scoring, along with a solid defense.

In any case, last Game Mike Richards was second in corsi percentage on the team with the 4th least minutes. In fact, the entire 4th line had an average of 75.9 corsi percentage. Even everyone that dislikes stats has to agree that that is a **** ton of possession. Especially for the line with the least minutes.

Conclusion: Mike Richards dominates other teams' 4th lines. We have the depth to leave MR on that line and not really be hurt by it, and if it gets him going a bit, puts a little hustle in his game, and gets him pumped for playoffs, I say go for it. Lets get his engine going, stick him next to Carter again, and watch them tear it up in playoffs. :yo:

minor edit: yes i know small sample size, but don't spoil my fun.

Thats ****ing incredible and the kind of depth you need to go deep in the playoffs.

But I agree--Richards' biggest contribution since coming here was creating matchups nightmares on our 2nd line. Whatever line that comes from is fine with me.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
If fewer minutes on an energy line gets a more active player, keep him on that line. Put him on the point on the PP though.

Two things I don't get about the Kings PP; Richards is hardly ever at the point, and there's hardly ever anyone actually in front of the goalie. Even with the poor season, when Richards has been at the point this year, he's been a different player. He seems to always be more dynamic from the point on the PP. He makes things go. He gets shots through.

The Kings obviously need a productive Richards to do anything this year. Whatever they have to do to do it, do it.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
If fewer minutes on an energy line gets a more active player, keep him on that line. Put him on the point on the PP though.

Two things I don't get about the Kings PP; Richards is hardly ever at the point, and there's hardly ever anyone actually in front of the goalie. Even with the poor season, when Richards has been at the point this year, he's been a different player. He seems to always be more dynamic from the point on the PP. He makes things go. He gets shots through.

The Kings obviously need a productive Richards to do anything this year. Whatever they have to do to do it, do it.

I agree.

The popular myth appears to be about Richards' production but I think as we've explored it that's not a problem at all unless you're talking about goal scoring specifically--we could use more of that from everyone, but Richards' actual output is an average 2C. So he's having a 'bad' year maybe from a production standpoint if we expect 60 points total, but the bigger problem was the GA/60. If we keep getting better minutes out of him, though, and that line having a mega-corsi outing is a positive sign, I have no doubt that any defensive deficiencies and brain farts will go away.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006

Cause Drew Doughty?

Wait, that is not a good reason.

Ollie Weeks

the sea does not dream of you
Feb 28, 2008
I get why things are the way they are right now, but Richards should see more PP time on the point next to Doughty. I love his slapshot and his passes in that scenario are usually pretty urgent. Everything goes through Richards at the point, and Doughty just stays open for one timers and uses his speed to either sneak in the back door or cover a retreat if we give away the puck. And if its not on Richards' stick its with Kopitar, swooping up and in from below the circles for a shot or pass, forcing the defenders' hand.

Ron*

I'm re-opening this discussion due to PMs and because it's become apparent that Richie is a common theme across all threads and even visitors to our forum want to chime in so we may as well re-localize it to keep everything else on topic.

That being said, ways to get this thread locked: off-the-ice hearsay/libel, personal attacks, drive-bys with no evidence (statistical or eye test), or random trolling/flaming even by visitors. There will be no warnings, only infractions.

All off-thread-topic Richards talk will be moved here.

Go ahead and get it all out of your system, but be respectful.

I was out all weekend, so I didn't have time to read all the carnage (if there was any), but I am not sure why anyone would be upset at the turn of events. Mike Richards had a great game Saturday afternoon, and with him producing on the 4th line, that makes 4 different lines dangerous to opponents in the playoffs.

What is the issue?

Winger23

May 3, 2007
I guess I'm one of the few who like Richards off the PP. WIth kopi carter and gaborik, there's no reason the puck should be ran through the point. I much prefer doughty and martinez on the point. They should have open shots if ran though down low like it should be.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I was out all weekend, so I didn't have time to read all the carnage (if there was any), but I am not sure why anyone would be upset at the turn of events. Mike Richards had a great game Saturday afternoon, and with him producing on the 4th line, that makes 4 different lines dangerous to opponents in the playoffs.

What is the issue?

Shouldn't be much re: his play this weekend. The issue is really drive-by Richards discussion happening on every thread in the forum. Need to centralize it because it just takes every other thread OT with bickering.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
I guess I'm one of the few who like Richards off the PP. WIth kopi carter and gaborik, there's no reason the puck should be ran through the point. I much prefer doughty and martinez on the point. They should have open shots if ran though down low like it should be.

Drew Doughty is a terrible PP player....Just awful. He is a Big reason the Kings PP has been just awful the last two years.

Doughty needs to speed up what he does and learn a Wrist Shot.

Last edited:

Winger23

May 3, 2007
Drew Doughty is a terrible PP player....Just awful. He is a Big reason the Kings PP has been just awful the last two years.

Doughty needs to speed up what he does and learn a Wrist Shot.

He has a good shot though and would have more time to shoot if the plays are ran below the dot forcing the pkers not to cheat up high like they do against the kings. Doughty is still a better option on the point over Richards.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
He has a good shot though and would have more time to shoot if the plays are ran below the dot forcing the pkers not to cheat up high like they do against the kings. Doughty is still a better option on the point over Richards.

He does have a good shot. There's no reason why Richards can't be in the middle, and Doughty over to his left.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Smolinski > Richards.

Smolinski always busted his ass.

Not always. Remember, he had some crazy 20-30 goalless streak as well. Herby knows this.

But he did indirectly help the Kings acquire Jeff Carter.

Kings traded Smolinski to the Sens for Tim Gleason.

Kings traded Gleason (and Eric Belanger) for Jack Johnson (and Oleg Tverdovsky).

Kings traded Jack Johnson for Jeff Carter.

Pretty good long term asset management that has paid dividends for many years. Not bad for a toss-in in the Ziggy Palffy trade.

Richards has seen better days. This season is unlike any other season that he's had, and the same can be said for many other Kings players earning top dollars. Hopefully this season is an anomaly for him and many others, but we'll have to see yet again next year. Sutter has had his hands full since taking over this team with the way he had to coach them to secure a playoff spot in 2012, getting them back in a truncated season in 2013, and this exhausting schedule thanks in part to the Olympics with 2014.

Lombardi always placed an emphasis on conditioning and we know that this has been an issue for more than just a couple of players.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
In regards to Richards vs. Smolinski, are we talking about 2010 MR or 2014 MR? I think some people on this board have a very difficult time differentiating between the two players, and at this point it really is two different players, there is very little about MR today that is reminiscent of MR in his prime. He doesn't score as much, he is not as good defensively and he isn't as physical.

MR in his prime was a much better player than Smolinski, in almost all facets of the game. If we are talking about the 2014 MR vs. say the 2001 Smoke, well I think you have to go with Smoke because even with his offensive struggles and often passive play, he was still able to play a much better 200 foot game than MR has been able to play the last couple of years. As far as comparing offensive numbers, Smoke played a good chunk of his career (and all as a King) during the dead puck era, he also didn't have anything close to a Jeff Carter on his wing and he didn't play the #1 PP unit which Richards has done pretty much the entire season (up until the Gabby trade). Much of the ire Smoke drew from fans was for his often lazy play and not giving 100% effort, with Richards I don't think it's an effort issue, I think it's just a player who's body is starting to quit on him a lot earlier than most peoples do, I don't think physically MR is able to do a lot of the things he was to do as a younger player, the problem is the Kings are paying him a lot of money for a lot of years to still do those things, and that is my biggest issue with the whole MR situation, his contract is awful now, and it's only going to get worse going forward if his body truly is breaking down. Maybe he can pull a Steve Yzerman and change his game and become more reliant on smarts and game sense, or maybe he goes the way of Scott Gomez, Mike York, Mark Parrish and Jonathan Cheechoo.

Last edited:

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
He does have a good shot. There's no reason why Richards can't be in the middle, and Doughty over to his left.

It's a risk/reward thing, and at this point having a sub par defensive forward who has been struggling for months offensively on the point just isn't worth it. That is why they seem to be sticking with Slava.

If MR were playing better or the Kings didn't have Gabby maybe you do it to create more offense, but at this point the risk just isn't worth it, that PP should be plenty good enough to score with Kopi-Carter-Gaborik-Voynov and Doughty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad