Mike Richards VII Why can't we be Friends(Mod note and update Post #1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

417th

Pacifist Division
Feb 4, 2015
is merely a concept
The only way he avoids it is if charges are dropped or he wins in court. Any plea results in stage 2 of the SABH which includes an automatic unpaid suspension.

Those are both speculations based on a mere portion of all of the available information. Again, nobody knows anything more than anyone else with any certainty here. That is a fact.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Don't waste your time. Trying to discuss hockey with the garbage on the main board is like trying to teach geometry to a cabbage field.

Actually, it's worse. At least cabbage doesn't respond with idiotic posts. Cabbage just sits there, and says nothing.

Actually, if you are properly medicated, the cabbage will anwer.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Can you come up with a scenario how a player could submit to a evaluation from a league program doctor without notifying them? Remember, because the purpose of the evaluation is to recommend or not recommend the league program, patient/doctor confidentiality will not apply here.

Also, no penalty is laid out there at all. It's just something a player has to do. Terminating the contract was the Kings, not the league. That's a whole different argument.

I think you made a great point here, and the nitpicking is pure obfuscation.

Ron*

The more I think about it now, the more I see the reason why the Kings are quietly confident in the action they have taken. Richards had a duty to timely report his arrest and he didn't do so. He is in violation of section 2(e) of the SPC and may also be in violation of section 14(a) of the SPC if the Kings amended the "Rules" to include reporting arrests and/or any legal action to the team in a timely manner.

moosehead81

Jan 7, 2012
Great White North
The more I think about it now, the more I see the reason why the Kings are quietly confident in the action they have taken. Richards had a duty to timely report his arrest and he didn't do so. He is in violation of section 2(e) of the SPC and may also be in violation of section 14(a) of the SPC if the Kings amended the "Rules" to include reporting arrests and/or any legal action to the team in a timely manner.

Which is where I struggle. It's one thing to be "detained" during a border search when crossing into Canada, it's quite another thing to be arrested (and read your rights) as a result of that search. Surely, when he was arrested or shortly after being released, Mike Richards called somebody in authority, whether it was a lawyer and/or his agent, and what did that somebody advise him to do? If he called nobody, kept the whole thing to himself and eventually had to come clean with his agent and/or Dean Lombardi after the apparent draft day fiasco, then that's another matter. Even so, that in itself, and assuming the charge ends up in a summary conviction or is tossed, in my humble opinion, is not enough that the contract termination will stand. And lastly, just because Mike Richards was carrying oxycontin of, as described by the Mounties, such a small quantity that it was obviously for "personal" use, does not make him an addict.

Of course, there's no telling how these matters turn out. Richards is a celebrity and the Crown may well try to make an example of him, even if he was carrying only half a dozen oxy pills.

Ron*

Which is where I struggle. It's one thing to be "detained" during a border search when crossing into Canada, it's quite another thing to be arrested (and read your rights) as a result of that search. Surely, when he was arrested or shortly after being released, Mike Richards called somebody in authority, whether it was a lawyer and/or his agent, and what did that somebody advise him to do? If he called nobody, kept the whole thing to himself and eventually had to come clean with his agent and/or Dean Lombardi after the apparent draft day fiasco, then that's another matter. Even so, that in itself, and assuming the charge ends up in a summary conviction or is tossed, in my humble opinion, is not enough that the contract termination will stand. And lastly, just because Mike Richards was carrying oxycontin of, as described by the Mounties, such a small quantity that it was obviously for "personal" use, does not make him an addict.

Of course, there's no telling how these matters turn out. Richards is a celebrity and the Crown may well try to make an example of him, even if he was carrying only half a dozen oxy pills.

Remember, that statement that it was just a "bottle of pills" came from an unnamed source and is not an official statement from the police. Personally, I struggle with the idea that he was detained 4 hours and subsequently arrested for one lousy pill bottle. Unless he was signing autographs for 3½ hours, it makes absolutely no sense.

moosehead81

Jan 7, 2012
Great White North
Remember, that statement that it was just a "bottle of pills" came from an unnamed source and is not an official statement from the police. Personally, I struggle with the idea that he was detained 4 hours and subsequently arrested for one lousy pill bottle. Unless he was signing autographs for 3½ hours, it makes absolutely no sense.

A lot of the speculation on this board is based on information originating from "unnamed sources"; heck, nobody even knew he was arrested for sure (original report was from an unnamed source to the Winnipeg Sun) until TSN reported it this week via an RCMP spokesman. He may well have been asked if he had drugs, prescribed or otherwise, confirmed that he had pain-killers and not thought any more of it. One lousy pill bottle of an unknown (or known) drug leads to a thorough search and, trust me, 4 hours is not that unusual at this port, even without an arrest. My sense is that, or a close variation, is the way it went down. And, if he had a large quantity of the stuff, it would have gone way beyond a simple possession charge.

Even so, I still cannot believe Mike Richards would not have called somebody to get advice after the "arrest"; that's the interesting question for me and one we may never know the answer to.

Minor Boarding

Nov 30, 2011
Corleone
A lot of the speculation on this board is based on information originating from "unnamed sources"; heck, nobody even knew he was arrested for sure (original report was from an unnamed source to the Winnipeg Sun) until TSN reported it this week via an RCMP spokesman. He may well have been asked if he had drugs, prescribed or otherwise, confirmed that he had pain-killers and not thought any more of it. One lousy pill bottle of an unknown (or known) drug leads to a thorough search and, trust me, 4 hours is not that unusual at this port, even without an arrest. My sense is that, or a close variation, is the way it went down. And, if he had a large quantity of the stuff, it would have gone way beyond a simple possession charge.

Even so, I still cannot believe Mike Richards would not have called somebody to get advice after the "arrest"; that's the interesting question for me and one we may never know the answer to.
Maybe he got the advice of trying to hide the border arrest till after the buyout/trade?

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
The only way he avoids it is if charges are dropped or he wins in court. Any plea results in stage 2 of the SABH which includes an automatic unpaid suspension.

Yeah, but you said that would be the worst. To me that seems like it would be the least he could get in terms of punishment.

Who says he didn't? Even those asserting he may have not called his lawyer aren't saying he didn't call anyone.

Maybe Richards was aware the issue could impact on a possible buy out/trade and knew that call his agent meant that his agent would have to tell the Kings. He could still have called his dad or anyone else who then could have got him outside legal counsel to look into the matter without his agent ever knowing anything was going on.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
It's all speculation at this point.

The fact is that MR has reached a crossroads in his life, not only in regards to hockey but his entire life.

He has lost his fiance, his career is possibly over and now he has a drug arrest and trial in addition to an arbitration hearing where even more dirty laundry could be aired.

For Mike's sake I hope the arbitrator rules in his favor but a special buyout is allowed so not only do the Kings get cap relief for the next few years but MR is allowed to step away from the game for awhile and seek the help he probably needs. I still think it's very likely we never see Mike Richards on NHL ice again.

tsanuri

Jun 27, 2012
Central Coast CA

That's if he would plea to a drug count. Stoll was able to plea to things that weren't even drug related and that kept him out of trouble within the program.

HookKing

Dec 12, 2008
That's if he would plea to a drug count. Stoll was able to plea to things that weren't even drug related and that kept him out of trouble within the program.

OK, "if drug charges are dropped". Happy?

HookKing

Dec 12, 2008
Yeah, but you said that would be the worst. To me that seems like it would be the least he could get in terms of punishment.

Who says he didn't? Even those asserting he may have not called his lawyer aren't saying he didn't call anyone.

Maybe Richards was aware the issue could impact on a possible buy out/trade and knew that call his agent meant that his agent would have to tell the Kings. He could still have called his dad or anyone else who then could have got him outside legal counsel to look into the matter without his agent ever knowing anything was going on.

Worst for the Kings.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Worst for the Kings would be to lose the termination and the NHL refusing to allow a buyout because the buyout window is over.

This is a nightmare scenario for the Kings, unless the Kings are able to suspend him right away, but who knows with that.

This guy has just gotten worse and worse since the Kings first cup win, it would be ugly to see him inserted back on the roster with no training camp.

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
This is a nightmare scenario for the Kings, unless the Kings are able to suspend him right away, but who knows with that.

This guy has just gotten worse and worse since the Kings first cup win, it would be ugly to see him inserted back on the roster with no training camp.

If he pleads not guilty the court issues will drag on for a bit so hopefully some form of suspension or at least LTIR-esque relief will be permitted. I'm not sure what the cap issues are if a guy is in SABH, if someone could post that it'd be great.

But there is still the chance that Richards full cap hit could be on the books all of next season and that would potentially be very ugly for several reasons.

Jul 31, 2005
CA

Vegas drug charges are VERY lenient for first time offenders. Going into another country with drugs is not comparable to being arrested in Vegas with drugs.

Captain Mittens*

Vegas is also know as a town where you can buy your way out if anything.
I wouldn't be surprised if Stoll paid a private hefty fine as part of his plea agreement.

123slam

Dec 28, 2006
I mean...guys, come on. You know DL is a lawyer right? How many times has he not made a calculated decision? Sure, he let MR try and redeem himself. Wouldn't you have done the same? In 2013, MR gave us a little hope to come back against the Hawks. I think 90% of this board would have made the same decision.

He wouldn't try to terminate a multi-million dollar contract without being confident that they have a strong case.

In DL I trust. And you should too. If we aren't successful, then I'm confident he'll ice the best team possible. And that's all we can hope for. We've all developed some sort of entitlement due to our recent success. Let's just enjoy the ride. It's not ****ing over.

Stimpythecat

Jul 1, 2015
I would have made the same decision. I've stated so in a prior post. I don't fault him for being loyal to mike richards at all.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
The Kings have many lawyers. You can also bet they brought in Anschutz's personal brain trust too. Far too many people are underestimating the calculation done on this.

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
The Kings have many lawyers. You can also bet they brought in Anschutz's personal brain trust too. Far too many people are underestimating the calculation done on this.

I've said this from the beginning.

But every genius on the main boards think Dean just ****ing rolled the dice. Bunch of morons and children on this site, I swear.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad