Mike Richards VII Why can't we be Friends(Mod note and update Post #1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Mittens*

The Kings have many lawyers. You can also bet they brought in Anschutz's personal brain trust too. Far too many people are underestimating the calculation done on this.

Especially from Lombard himself. He probably slept 5 hours between finding out and declaring it a "go".
Reaearching, running scenarios, calculating probabilty, mixing I an occasional croquet game.

Last edited by a moderator:

Stimpythecat

Jul 1, 2015
I found this. Amy Winehouse was denied a visa and missed the Grammys in 2007 over a marijuana possession charge in Norway.

From what I read in other news articles, marijuana is treated extremely leniently. And the US treats it more leniently than other controlled substances. Specific exception in the statutes.

Yet, despite the significantly more lenient treatment under both Norwegian law and US law, she was refused entry.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/SHOWBIZ/Music/02/07/winehouse.grammys/index.html?iref=hpmostpop

Kingspiracy

Nov 13, 2006
I found this. Amy Winehouse was denied a visa and missed the Grammys in 2007 over a marijuana possession charge in Norway.

From what I read in other news articles, marijuana is treated extremely leniently. And the US treats it more leniently than other controlled substances. Specific exception in the statutes.

Yet, despite the significantly more lenient treatment under both Norwegian law and US law, she was refused entry.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/SHOWBIZ/Music/02/07/winehouse.grammys/index.html?iref=hpmostpop

Maybe they just thought her music was ****.

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
The Kings have many lawyers. You can also bet they brought in Anschutz's personal brain trust too. Far too many people are underestimating the calculation done on this.

This could be said of any major issue any sports team or even the league gets involved in and we have seen the team/league lose battles.

Trolfoli

May 30, 2013
Well, for every legal battle one of the sets of lawyers is going to lose.

Sometimes both sides lose....

Looks like Mike Richards VIII coming up... anyone got a witty title... this is way past "The Undiscovered Country" and getting into the Next Generation realm...

Captain Mittens*

The final countdown.
I hope no one is classless enough to use the final solution.

The final act
The final battle
The final descent
The final encounter
The final four
The final geranium
The final hurdle
The final idaho (my own private )
The final jambalaya
The final goodnight Kith
o-MIKE-TYSON-PIGEON-EX-facebook.jpg

I'd say we have a winner

Ron*

The final countdown.
I hope no one is classless enough to use the final solution.

The final act
The final battle
The final descent
The final encounter
The final four
The final geranium
The final hurdle
The final idaho (my own private )
The final jambalaya
The final goodnight Kith
o-MIKE-TYSON-PIGEON-EX-facebook.jpg

I'd say we have a winner

Considering that a third of the thread is devoted to political conversation, and we can't discuss it elsewhere, perhaps something along the lines of "The Final Goodnight Kith / Trump or Clinton?" title might work.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
This thread will live forever.

In honor of Richards, it should be bumped every time a Kings player loses his man in front of the net

Ron*

I'm going to amend my will with instructions to have my kids register here and bump this thread once or twice a week for as long as they live.

And then I'm going to instruct them to amend their wills...

...you get the idea.

moosehead81

Jan 7, 2012
Great White North
It's all speculation at this point.

The fact is that MR has reached a crossroads in his life, not only in regards to hockey but his entire life.

He has lost his fiance, his career is possibly over and now he has a drug arrest and trial in addition to an arbitration hearing where even more dirty laundry could be aired.

For Mike's sake I hope the arbitrator rules in his favor but a special buyout is allowed so not only do the Kings get cap relief for the next few years but MR is allowed to step away from the game for awhile and seek the help he probably needs. I still think it's very likely we never see Mike Richards on NHL ice again.

I essentially agree.

If you read the posts and references in this and other boards with an unbiased eye, unless there's more to this than what's currently out there (or, as Herby says, "speculated"), the Kings will likely not come out well here. And, at the worst, they'll end up needing to buy-out Mike Richards at the price it would have been in late June (about $15 million over 10 years) with the buy-out cap hit being applied also over the 10 years (I'm pretty sure the other teams are not going to let the Kings off the hook on this). And I know, Mike Richards may have broke Canadian laws pertaining to possession of a controlled substance when returning to Canada but this will end up being a summary conviction (if guilty) with probably no restrictions on travel to the states. From Mike Richards' side, the Kings traded for him and his contract, they did win 2 cups in 3 years (and we can argue forever about his role in each of those) and now he's in a position where he may not play NHL hockey this year, if ever at all in following years. I'll really be disappointed in the Kings if this was nothing but, as some describe, a "hail Mary" to get out from under the failure to take the opportunity they had in 2014 to buy out the player with no cap hit. And if what we know up to now is the crux of the contract termination, I'll be doubly disappointed and could then only surmise that somebody at a higher level than Dean Lombardi told him to take the action taken. Mr. Lombardi does not seem the type of person to throw one of his players under the bus willy nilly. One only has to see how he and the Kings have handled the Voynov and Stoll situations to know that.

And carrying what has been described as a small number of controlled painkillers with or without a prescription, does not make one an addict.

madlee

Mar 7, 2015

Completely wrong.

Marijuana is a Schedule I drug in the USA. OxyContin is a Schedule II.

http://www.dea.gov/druginfo/ds.shtml

Stimpythecat

Jul 1, 2015
Nothing wrong with what I said.

Marijuana is specifically singled out for more lenient treatment in the visa revocation statutes and the statute governing inadmissibility to the US.

HookKing

Dec 12, 2008
Worst for the Kings would be to lose the termination and the NHL refusing to allow a buyout because the buyout window is over.

That was implied in my worst scenario, however MR will be suspended in any event. Either for not reporting to the SABH or if he takes a plea stage ii is mandatory which includes an unpaid suspension.

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
Sometimes both sides lose....

Looks like Mike Richards VIII coming up... anyone got a witty title... this is way past "The Undiscovered Country" and getting into the Next Generation realm...

Go directly to jail. Do not pass the border, do not collect $16.4 million (or whatever the buyout number is).

Jul 31, 2005
CA
I think the biggest error in speculating what will or won't happen to Richards is this is a one time incident. For 2 years there was an unexplained drop in play, the unwillingness to keep in top shape, the loss of hand eye coordination when the puck was on his stick, the inability to keep track of his defensive assignment, the skating stride falling to a beer leaguer level, all of this went unexplained. How did a guy so good fall so far so fast without a major injury (he was cleared by Kings doctors for the concussion issue). Now there is a reason why his mental skills have slowed, the lack of desire to train hard, the unexplained lapse in time from being sent to Manchester and reporting to Manchester, the unexplained "conditioning test" upon his return from a successful stint in Manchester. I refuse to beleive Lombardi, a lawyer and a stickler for details, is going to try to change legal precedent with a single pills in a bottle border incident.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad