Mike Richards IV: Started From The Bottom, Still Here *MOD WARNING Post #194*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whiskeypete

Jul 14, 2010
Chicago
The regular season needs to be cut back to around 72 games. These guys are playing too much hockey, and a reduction from 82 to 72 games would give them an additional 3 weeks off in the off season.

It's not likely to happen though because the owners and the players won't give up the money that comes with the extra 10 games.

i've been an advocate for a shorter season for quite some time. take it down to 70-72 so the math works.

keep the 1 and 1 cross conference games. to me this isn't debatable, it helps grow the game by allowing fans in every city see every team

play the 3 or 4 games cross divisional within the conference. the remainder is played in division.

i wouldn't be opposed to seeing them also change the travel, so teams make less trips so the players get better rest. they seem to have improved on this the past few seasons. schedule teams in blocks of teams, ie - LA, ANH, SJ and PHX is a trip. VAN, CAL, EDM and COL are a trip. it won't always be perfect, but its better than a roadie that would be a trip to say BOS, NJ, NSH and MIN.

as you point out though the owners and players likely won't walk away from the money. the only way this possibly works is the reduced cost to the owners in salary, remains in line with current profit-ROI. for the players, the per game salary remains consistent. it still means the players and owners make less.

Trolfoli

May 30, 2013
Now that we know Sutter wasn't able to get this team into the playoffs.... What was the point of benching Richards?

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Now that we know Sutter wasn't able to get this team into the playoffs.... What was the point of benching Richards?

to try and get them in.
I don't understand why we saw Stoll last night over Shore.
Richards I was fine with over Stoll

Ollie Weeks

the sea does not dream of you
Feb 28, 2008
If Richards were a wizard in the shootout, that point might have some merit. (@Trofoli)

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
to try and get them in.

Shore took part in the pre-game warmup skate, so I wonder if he was a game time decision. Did he get hurt at all the previous game?

Trolfoli

May 30, 2013
to try and get them in.

I just didn't see this team without Richards being capable of competing in the playoffs if they were to make it.... Now does that mean Richards would solve the problem? Who knows... For a team that struggles with offense dropping Richards to the 4th line and then the AHL was too big of a hit to take.

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
I can't seem to find it anymore in this ocean of diarrhea but does anyone have the figures handy of what the buyout will be if Lombardi does it this offseason?

kingsfan

Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
actually if my math is correct it's as follows:

15/16 1.25
16/17 1.72
17/18 3
18/19 4.22
19/20 4.22

It's longer than that. I believe he'd be on the books for 10 years.

I also think it starts at around $1.7 million. The $4.2 million is about right on the peak though.

sweatypickle

Jul 19, 2005
It's longer than that. I believe he'd be on the books for 10 years.

I also think it starts at around $1.7 million. The $4.2 million is about right on the peak though.

its definitely spread over 10 years so the remaining 5 would be 1.46.. too much wine at lunch and calculating on an iphone. as well I'm uncertain about his signing bonuses.

so it's like this:

15/16 1.25
16/17 1.72
17/18 3
18/19 4.22
19/20 4.22
20/21 1.46
21/22 1.46
22/23 1.46
23/24 1.46
24/25 1.46

Last edited:

kingsfan

Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
Basically if we are talking 50% retention, it'd be $2.85 million retained roughly per season for 5 seasons.

Now for a series of questions:

A) Are we comfortable retaining that much cap hit for that long?
B) What impact would that have on retain other players (IE Toffoli)
C) If retaining 50% isn't enough, would we be willing to add in a player? If so, how high would we go? (IE, Pearson? Martinez? King?)
D) What happens if you trade a player while retaining some salary and then he is later traded again? Do we still retain that salary?
E) What happens if we retain salary and Richards retires in a few years? Do we get the full cap hit applied to us? 50%?

sweatypickle

Jul 19, 2005
A) Are we comfortable retaining that much cap hit for that long?

i'd rather do a buyout than 50 percent retention even if though those 2017-2020 years are skanky ugly.. i believe the rumour was Dean was willing to go to 25% retention during the deadline

B) What impact would that have on retain other players (IE Toffoli)

the skanky ugly years could definitely have an impact...

C) If retaining 50% isn't enough, would we be willing to add in a player? If so, how high would we go? (IE, Pearson? Martinez? King?)

i'd guess it'll likely be picks/prospects or a bigger deal if there's roster players involved..

D) What happens if you trade a player while retaining some salary and then he is later traded again? Do we still retain that salary?

retention wouldn't change..

E) What happens if we retain salary and Richards retires in a few years? Do we get the full cap hit applied to us? 50%?[/QUOTE]

recapture clause comes in and the Kings would get their own recapture hit plus the recapture hit of the percentage of the team we traded him to. so depending on the year he retires, it'll be 6.1ish divided by the years left plus the percentage of the other teams recapture penalty

personally I think they're gonna try and find a way to Pronger him...

Last edited:

moosehead81

Jan 7, 2012
Great White North
personally I think they're gonna try and find a way to Pronger him...

If they were thinking of doing a Pronger on Richards he would not have played even last night. That's simply a false hope in thinking of a way to get out of the cap issues of his contract. Pronger was actually seriously hurt after the Grabovski hit in 2011 (which accelerated his post concussion syndrome) and I believe he never played a game after that. If Richards was medically unfit to play, he would not play.

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
One more Summer, this time a long one, of armchair GM's buying out Richards, when in fact the actual GM says it's not gonna happen. I'm not sure how much clearer he could be.

Most of the people on this board (and others) said last year Richards was gone. He is still here. We will hear the same over and over all Summer. Rinse and Repeat.

kingsfan

Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
If they were thinking of doing a Pronger on Richards he would not have played even last night. That's simply a false hope in thinking of a way to get out of the cap issues of his contract. Pronger was actually seriously hurt after the Grabovski hit in 2011 (which accelerated his post concussion syndrome) and I believe he never played a game after that. If Richards was medically unfit to play, he would not play.

Plus the league did the Flyers a massive solid and completely bent the rules to make it happen. They wouldn't even help us out over the Voynov issue and we only got some level of assistance after waiting for two months. Don't hold your breathe hoping Bettman and Co. Are going to find us a loophole. It's a who you blow world and Ed Snider is a windbag if anything.

kingsholygrail

Insurmountable Leads 1-3
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
One more Summer, this time a long one, of armchair GM's buying out Richards, when in fact the actual GM says it's not gonna happen. I'm not sure how much clearer he could be.

Most of the people on this board (and others) said last year Richards was gone. He is still here. We will hear the same over and over all Summer. Rinse and Repeat.

I'd agree if Lombardi didn't say it was a mistake rather publicly. So he's got the choice again, albeit not a get out of jail free card choice this time. He's not going to lean on loyalty. Richards is gone. It's a matter of which way at this point. Only way he stays is if ownership says no to the buyout and DL can't get rid of the contract.

kingsfan

Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
I'd agree if Lombardi didn't say it was a mistake rather publicly. So he's got the choice again, albeit not a get out of jail free card choice this time. He's not going to lean on loyalty. Richards is gone. It's a matter of which way at this point. Only way he stays is if ownership says no to the buyout and DL can't get rid of the contract.

Link?

sweatypickle

Jul 19, 2005

you're talking ethically and common sense... i'm talking lamorielloally...

sweatypickle

Jul 19, 2005
Plus the league did the Flyers a massive solid and completely bent the rules to make it happen. They wouldn't even help us out over the Voynov issue and we only got some level of assistance after waiting for two months. Don't hold your breathe hoping Bettman and Co. Are going to find us a loophole. It's a who you blow world and Ed Snider is a windbag if anything.

what rules did they bend?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad