Mike Richards IV: Started From The Bottom, Still Here *MOD WARNING Post #194*

Status
Not open for further replies.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
I don't have one. Should be one buried in one of the Mike Richards threads. It was DL explaining why he didn't buy out Richards and he came to the conclusion that his heart beat out his brain in that regard.

Best information to be found on this is in this article:

http://thehockeywriters.com/dean-lombardis-big-mistake/

Obviously Dean wants to show loyalty to the guys that have brought the team success, but just as obvious is that he knows it can't be done in all cases.

I don't remember how many more years Richards has at a high dollar amount before the real dollars drop pretty steadily. If it is only a year or two, they might be better off just taking the cap penalty for a few years and hope he retires when the value drops or trade him to a budget team. I can't see paying a buyout for 10 years especially when you have a $4M penalty for two years (if that is correct).

what rules did they bend?

The guy is on LTIR but is now working for the League. If he retired, the full cap hit would apply (if I'm correct). Some how he is employed by the league but still employed but the Flyers but on LTIR. Seems like being paid by the Flyers and the League is a bit of a conflict of interest if you ask me. They are also considering putting him in the hall of fame either next year or the following and he is still under contract.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
I don't remember how many more years Richards has at a high dollar amount before the real dollars drop pretty steadily. If it is only a year or two, they might be better off just taking the cap penalty for a few years and hope he retires when the value drops or trade him to a budget team. I can't see paying a buyout for 10 years especially when you have a $4M penalty for two years (if that is correct).

I think it's only one more year.
It could work timing wise as Kopitar extension will not kick in till after next season. Also if there is an expansion draft he maybe taken just to get a team to the floor

417th

Pacifist Division
Feb 4, 2015
is merely a concept
The guy is on LTIR but is now working for the League. If he retired, the full cap hit would apply (if I'm correct). Some how he is employed by the league but still employed but the Flyers but on LTIR. Seems like being paid by the Flyers and the League is a bit of a conflict of interest if you ask me. They are also considering putting him in the hall of fame either next year or the following and he is still under contract.

What is happening with Pronger is such a sham that is beyond explanation that it makes me question the entire integrity of the league. What an utter joke.

sweatypickle

Jul 19, 2005

thanks to the recapture rule, Rick retiring with 2 years left would be a cap hit of around 2.7 for two years; him retiring with one year left would be a cap hit of around 2.6; if they move him now it could change significantly plus whatever % of the other teams recapture they'd have to take.

the job with the league is a completely sham but the fact that he gets LTIR is due to him being unfit to play hockey. They didn't bend any rules, Philly just got lucky in the sense he couldn't physically play and will have plenty of doctors able to back that up for the duration of his contract. The league emphatically stated his contract was a 35+ when the Flyers argued it wasn't (How any upper management team could not understand that clause is beyond comprehension mind you).

MSSLYNX

Jul 27, 2009
thanks to the recapture rule, Rick retiring with 2 years left would be a cap hit of around 2.7 for two years; him retiring with one year left would be a cap hit of around 2.6; if they move him now it could change significantly plus whatever % of the other teams recapture they'd have to take.

the job with the league is a completely sham but the fact that he gets LTIR is due to him being unfit to play hockey. They didn't bend any rules, Philly just got lucky in the sense he couldn't physically play and will have plenty of doctors able to back that up for the duration of his contract. The league emphatically stated his contract was a 35+ when the Flyers argued it wasn't (How any upper management team could not understand that clause is beyond comprehension mind you).

they sure got "lucky" with that injury.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
I doubt the Kings would get any help from the NHL on some sort of Pronger like situation for Richards.

I also doubt Richards would agree to such a thing.

Yeah that slipped my mind when I wrote that. I guess the ideal scenario would be if they could stomach the cap hit for two years, perhaps a Shawn Horcoff situation could arise. Maybe even Toronto would take on the contract at that point for less of an asset.

I just don't see how buy out is a viable option long term. DL is certainly going to have to make some magic happen to dump that contract this summer. This might be another summer Richards working his ass off to reclaim some semblance of an NHL player. That's certainly best for all parties. I'm just not sure how likely that is. If Scott Gomez can make a comeback, i suppose Richards can.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Yeah that slipped my mind when I wrote that. I guess the ideal scenario would be if they could stomach the cap hit for two years, perhaps a Shawn Horcoff situation could arise. Maybe even Toronto would take on the contract at that point for less of an asset.

I just don't see how buy out is a viable option long term. DL is certainly going to have to make some magic happen to dump that contract this summer. This might be another summer Richards working his ass off to reclaim some semblance of an NHL player. That's certainly best for all parties. I'm just not sure how likely that is. If Scott Gomez can make a comeback, i suppose Richards can.

Let me explain or give my reasoning as to why I think it will be the only viable option:

1. A trade is difficult for two reasons: the team acquiring Richards doesn't want the term that remains on the deal, and the Kings don't want to sweeten the pot with the type of player(s) that would make it palatable for the other team.

2. A buyout provides the Kings with the lowest cap hit possible on Richards' contract over the next 3 seasons. That's prime winning time for this core group. That kind of low cost certainty on the Richards contract is something Dean can deal with and plan around going forward.

3. I get the long-term concerns, but let's face it in 2019 it's likely time for a rebuild and the cap will have gone up by then.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
A Buyout is an option because by the time 2019/2020 (Bad cap hit years) rolls around. This core's window will be closed.

Brown/Kopitar/Quick/Carter/Doughty will be past their prime production. Some of those guys will be staring at retirement.

kingsholygrail

Almost there.. 38-23-11
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
A Buyout is an option because by the time 2019/2020 (Bad cap hit years) rolls around. This core's window will be closed.

Brown/Kopitar/Quick/Carter/Doughty will be past their prime production. Some of those guys will be staring at retirement.

That's very true actually. I think DL will try to trade him first though, then buyout if there are no reasonable bites.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
I don't think any team is going to take Richards in a trade. cap space is the most valuable commodity for at least the next two seasons.

All because the Can Dollar took a dump. Every team in the league this season(tried at least) to dump bad contracts, and get their cap's in good shape.

kingsholygrail

Almost there.. 38-23-11
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
It's going to take a really, really, dumb fish.

It could happen. Not likely, but it could. Kings org needs to cattle prod Richards into a really impressive off-season workout regiment. Get some Hollywood types in to do some training montage videos. Really prop this empty sack up as the next Teemu Selanne in recovery and ship him off somewhere. :D

Now here's an idea...

If Richards were to retire, his cap hit comes off the books completely right? Could the Kings hire him then as some kind of management position in the front office?

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
It could happen. Not likely, but it could. Kings org needs to cattle prod Richards into a really impressive off-season workout regiment. Get some Hollywood types in to do some training montage videos. Really prop this empty sack up as the next Teemu Selanne in recovery and ship him off somewhere. :D

That ship has sailed. The buy out period occurs soon after the Stanley Cup is awarded. Richards had his chance. He's done here.

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA

That one you couldn't be more wrong, in 2019 when his deal expires, Dewey will be 29 and about to be a free agent.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
Looks like Weal has been recalled to play the last game. ( I have not seen this officially anywhere though) I just see that he's not in the game tonight for Manch.
http://theahl.com/stats/official-game-report.php?game_id=1014525

So, if that's true, I think Weal suits up tomorrow and Richards is probably
scratched. May have seen Richard's last game as a King.

Maybe they'll scratch Carter, he's been a no show for 3 straight games. At least Richards was making an effort to do something.:laugh:

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada

Pronger signed a contract as a 35+ player, which means no matter what happens to him, his cap hit counts against the team salary cap...unless he stays on LTIR. If Pronger retires, his cap hit would be on the Flyers books.

Where the rules get bent is Pronger was hired by the league, while still being on LTIR. The league elected to not call Pronger a retired player, despite the fact he's not actively trying to get well (IE not training and undergoing medical treatment like a recovering player would), even though he is working for the league in a role that certainly implies he is retired.

If the NHL declared Pronger retired, which they would have good cause to, his $5 million cap hit applies to the Flyers team cap. They don't label him that way though, despite working for them, something that's a huge benefit to the Flyers.

The season they announced the hiring of Pronger to the NHL offices and stated he wouldn't be considered retired, the Flyers were really hard up against the cap so it was a huge bonus for them.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=686848

Pronger's contract runs through the 2006-17 season. He was 35 years old before the contract began, so the Flyers are on the hook for the $4.9 million cost against the salary cap each season, though they have been able to receive relief by placing Pronger on long-term injured reserve at the start of each season.

Were Pronger to retire officially, the Flyers would lose that ability and his contract would count fully against the cap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->