Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
fourhorsemen7.jpg

Zmw5michael-jordan-4th-nba-championship-1996-upper-deck-jum.jpg

Trolfoli

May 30, 2013
The Richards' Saga: Episode IV, "A New Hope"

Lombardi's only mistake was not realizing what Sutter was going to pull.

On AEG buying Richards out... they're going to look at someone that is playing well in the AHL, and ask, "hey this guys playing alright for the Monarchs, why are we going to pay him $14,000,000 to get rid of him again?" I'm not sure that's a conversation Lombardi wants to have with his boss.

The situation is just hilarious... can't wait to see how it turns out...

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
I don't care who you are, $20,000,000 is a ton of money. Especially when working within the confines of an organization that is in and of itself within his fortune. Each entity is a specific scenario. Just because he's a multi-billionaire doesn't mean he wants to simply throw away money. He's a pretty smart fellow. His fortune confirms that.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Is the buyout in one big lump sum or it it over a couple years?

I don't care who you are, $20,000,000 is a ton of money.

True, but they are going to be paying it to him anyway, no one is trading for that contract.

So DL's selling point is, you either give me the money to make him go away and use the added cap space to compete or you pay him for the next five years anyway and handcuff me from building a winner.

I think DL has earned the mulligan with AEG, he messed up, he knows it, but he has won 2 Cups for this squad, ownership owes him the chance to compete for more, and they can't do that with $5.75m in dead cap space.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
Is the buyout in one big lump sum or it it over a couple years?

It's 20 million at once to make Mike Richards go away.

You hand him a 20 million dollar check, and pay for it in cap space for the next TEN years.

Buyout's are not designed to help teams, they are designed to punish your team for using them. The NHLPA made sure of that.

Trolfoli

May 30, 2013
It's 20 million at once to make Mike Richards go away.

You hand him a 20 million dollar check, and pay for it in cap space for the next TEN years.

Buyout's are not designed to help teams, they are designed to punish your team for using them. The NHLPA made sure of that.

Fixed that for ya.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
I don't care who you are, $20,000,000 is a ton of money. Especially when working within the confines of an organization that is in and of itself within his fortune. Each entity is a specific scenario. Just because he's a multi-billionaire doesn't mean he wants to simply throw away money. He's a pretty smart fellow. His fortune confirms that.

Ok, I'm Philip Anshutz and it's 0.167% of my net worth. Bye Mike!!

And yes, they owe it to the fans. This organization may not find themselves in this position again for quite some time. An All-World defenseman and goalie, plus two centers that are championship caliber. You better be going for it and jettisoning any dead weight that gets in the way.

The Richards' Saga: Episode IV, "A New Hope"

Lombardi's only mistake was not realizing what Sutter was going to pull.

On AEG buying Richards out... they're going to look at someone that is playing well in the AHL, and ask, "hey this guys playing alright for the Monarchs, why are we going to pay him $14,000,000 to get rid of him again?" I'm not sure that's a conversation Lombardi wants to have with his boss.

The situation is just hilarious... can't wait to see how it turns out...

What has to be the most asinine argument of all the arguments I have seen is to blame Sutter for Richards failings as a player.

Last edited:

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
^ Regardless if he's worth eleven billion or not.

I still would swallow a good chunk in retention and try trading him. Those two seasons of 3 and 4 million for the buyout are backbreaking.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
Ok, I'm Philip Anshutz and it's 0.167% of my net worth. Bye Mike!!

And yes, they owe it to the fans. This organization may not find themselves in this position again for quite some time. An All-World defenseman and goalie, plus two centers that are championship caliber. You better be going for it and jettisoning any dead weight that gets in the way.

That's easy for you to say.

Billionaires are not so because of willy nilly with their cash.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
I still would swallow a good chunk in retention and try trading him. Those two seasons of 3 and 4 million for the buyout are backbreaking.

Trading Richards is obviously the 1st option, but almost every GM went to school on that Scott Gomez trade a few years ago. I doubt Dean will find many takers.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
That's easy for you to say.

Billionaires are not so because of willy nilly with their cash.

...and if the Kings fail to go deep in the playoffs because of the dead cap space that is Mike Richards, how much is he losing then?

The fact that it was being discussed last off season kind of tells us that Dean could have spent the money had he chosen to do so.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
I've met a few billionaires in person (all real estate and construction based) and they're the stingiest SOBs you'll ever meet. One complained about paying for water in a steakhouse. Water.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
...and if the Kings fail to go deep in the playoffs because of the dead cap space that is Mike Richards, how much is he losing then?

With coperate sponsors paying a premium for leasing options at Staples center...Not much.

IT's 350,000 dollars to lease at staples for a year(per box suite). That trumps season tickets considerable.

I am a CPA by trade, I highly doubt gate receipts from the average joe even cracks AEG's bottom line at all. The Money maker at staples is Box suites, and the Lakers.

Not the Kings even with two cups, or the Clippers.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
I still don't believe there would be serious value unless the Kings retained over 60% of the salary. Even at 50% that is still almost $3m for a player who played like a league minimum caliber player over his final 120 games in the league, and for the next five seasons? I just don't see it.

If MR suddenly became an UFA what do you think someone would sign him for? And for how many years?

The years on this contract are just as bad as the money.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Scott Gomez is actually productive for NJ.

A decent player on a crap team. Yeah, maybe Richards can still be that. The problem with this comparison though is that Scott Gomez is on a two-way contract that only pays him $550,000 a season in the NHL.

With coperate sponsors paying a premium for leasing options at Staples center...Not much.

IT's 350,000 dollars to lease at staples for a year(per box suite). That trumps season tickets considerable.

I am a CPA by trade, I highly doubt gate receipts from the average joe even cracks AEG's bottom line at all. The Money maker at staples is Box suites, and the Lakers.

Not the Kings even with two cups, or the Clippers.

Well folks if damacles is the Kings' accountant, get ready for some really frustrating times, because the Kings aren't going to win another cup with Richards on the roster, or carrying $4M+ in dead cap space. We just wasted Drew Doughty's best years.

Last edited:

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
I still don't believe there would be serious value unless the Kings retained over 60% of the salary. Even at 50% that is still almost $3m for a player who played like a league minimum caliber player over his final 120 games in the league, and for the next five seasons? I just don't see it.

If MR suddenly became an UFA what do you think someone would sign him for? And for how many years?

2 years at 2 million per.

Like the Brad Richards contract. A rebuilding team would be ok with that most likely.

Maybe even a fringe, or playoff bubble team.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011

Dave Bolland is making 5.5 per. That was a disaster the second the ink dried on the contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad