Mike Richards IV: Started From The Bottom, Still Here *MOD WARNING Post #194*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trolfoli

May 30, 2013
Let me explain or give my reasoning as to why I think it will be the only viable option:

1. A trade is difficult for two reasons: the team acquiring Richards doesn't want the term that remains on the deal, and the Kings don't want to sweeten the pot with the type of player(s) that would make it palatable for the other team.

2. A buyout provides the Kings with the lowest cap hit possible on Richards' contract over the next 3 seasons. That's prime winning time for this core group. That kind of low cost certainty on the Richards contract is something Dean can deal with and plan around going forward.

3. I get the long-term concerns, but let's face it in 2019 it's likely time for a rebuild and the cap will have gone up by then.

A better solution then a 10 year cap hit would be to ride Richards out for another year. That assumes that,

1 The cap goes up enough that Lombardi can get everyone signed that he wants (Sekera)

2 The team is going to do a re-tool... After losing multiple guys Lombardi is going to have to see how everything sorts out. Next year the Kings aren't going to be worrying about contending... Maybe they make the playoffs maybe they don't, but Lombardi will be looking at ways of addressing issues that come up.

Now after next season the Kings should have players working their way up to the team.... like Kempe/Zykov... once the next batch of youngsters is on their way then Richards could be moved at the deadline the year after next season with 3 years left on his contract....

There are too many variables to predict what will happen next year... also the penalties are lessened the longer Lombardi waits at this point. As long as the cap doesn't force his hand it's probably better to just wait.... of course people that are freaking out about the "window" won't like this at all...

Who knows... maybe Lombardi works some Voodoo magic and trades Richards.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
No one is trading for Richards, even at 50% retained unless they are dumping another bad contract on us or we include someone like Pearson, neither of which is good for the Kings. Four years at almost 3m is better than five years at 3m but still, find me a team that takes on that deal for what as of now is an AHL/NHL tweener. The Kings could wait a year and then buy him out or pray his game does as big a 180 in a good way as it did in a bad way, but that is a massive cap hit when as you said they are trying to keep Sekera, add a competent 3rd line center and someone to play with Gaborik and Kopitar.

I am with K17, the buyout is the only real option here. You just hope by the time the year 4/5 penalties kick in the cap is higher or the Kings window is closing and they are doing a minor re-tool at that time. The way things look with the age of the Kings core, the prospect list etc. the Kings probably have another 3-4 years to contend for another cup before the realistic window shuts.

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
A better solution then a 10 year cap hit would be to ride Richards out for another year. That assumes that,

1 The cap goes up enough that Lombardi can get everyone signed that he wants (Sekera)

2 The team is going to do a re-tool... After losing multiple guys Lombardi is going to have to see how everything sorts out. Next year the Kings aren't going to be worrying about contending... Maybe they make the playoffs maybe they don't, but Lombardi will be looking at ways of addressing issues that come up.

Now after next season the Kings should have players working their way up to the team.... like Kempe/Zykov... once the next batch of youngsters is on their way then Richards could be moved at the deadline the year after next season with 3 years left on his contract....

There are too many variables to predict what will happen next year... also the penalties are lessened the longer Lombardi waits at this point. As long as the cap doesn't force his hand it's probably better to just wait.... of course people that are freaking out about the "window" won't like this at all...

Who knows... maybe Lombardi works some Voodoo magic and trades Richards.

I don't see how there's any way you could burn another year of Doughty's prime with a half-assed team. For better or for worse we're all in the next few seasons because after that, Kopitar, Carter, Brown, Quick will all be declining. It would be criminal to write of next year as a loss.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Sake of argument, say Lombardi could trade Richards to Buffalo or Arizona or something. Would you throw in the 1st round pick this year? An additional prospect if needed?

Jul 31, 2005
CA
I doubt the Kings would get any help from the NHL on some sort of Pronger like situation for Richards.

I also doubt Richards would agree to such a thing.

Agree 100%. That's like any of us posters winning the lottery, setting up payments and then telling the state of California "you know what, forget about the last 3 or 4 payments, I don't need them". It's the opinion of somebody who doesn't have or has never had any sort of money to their name. Nobody on here would refuse the kind of money that is coming to Mike Richards, ZERO chance he retires.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
I don't see how there's any way you could burn another year of Doughty's prime with a half-assed team. For better or for worse we're all in the next few seasons because after that, Kopitar, Carter, Brown, Quick will all be declining. It would be criminal to write of next year as a loss.

Not only Doughty, but Kopitar, Carter and Quick as well. The Kings have 3-4 years to win another cup and it's going to be to tough with almost $6m being completely wasted on a player who probably won't even be good enough to make the roster. The cap penalty for the first three years is much more manageable.

Sake of argument, say Lombardi could trade Richards to Buffalo or Arizona or something. Would you throw in the 1st round pick this year? An additional prospect if needed?

Maybe, but at what point are you just giving away to many first round picks.

That would be... 2009, 2011, 2013, 2015, 2016

Agree 100%. That's like any of us posters winning the lottery, setting up payments and then telling the state of California "you know what, forget about the last 3 or 4 payments, I don't need them". It's the opinion of somebody who doesn't have or has never had any sort of money to their name. Nobody on here would refuse the kind of money that is coming to Mike Richards, ZERO chance he retires.

Also another thing to consider with the Kings affiliate being in Ontario now it makes it even less likely the Kings could force his hand into retiring. It would not be the greatest drive with traffic but Richards could still keep his home in the south bay and commute to Ontario if he chose. Maybe the prospect of spending another long season in Manchester would have made him think about just hanging them up (although that is an insane amount of $$$ to pass up)

Jul 31, 2005
CA
Not only Doughty, but Kopitar, Carter and Quick as well. The Kings have 3-4 years to win another cup and it's going to be to tough with almost $6m being completely wasted on a player who probably won't even be good enough to make the roster. The cap penalty for the first three years is much more manageable.

Maybe, but at what point are you just giving away to many first round picks.

That would be... 2009, 2011, 2013, 2015, 2016

Also another thing to consider with the Kings affiliate being in Ontario now it makes it even less likely the Kings could force his hand into retiring. It would not be the greatest drive with traffic but Richards could still keep his home in the south bay and commute to Ontario if he chose. Maybe the prospect of spending another long season in Manchester would have made him think about just hanging them up (although that is an insane amount of $$$ to pass up)

I think for a team that holds players accountable the only thing to do is buy out Mike Richards. It shows the rest of the team, once again, that LA is not a retirement home that it once was. You either stay in shape year round, eat clean, train constantly or you're out of here at any cost. If you want to fish in the offseason then you'll wind up in Buffalo or Ontario (sorry if you live in Ontario it's just not Manhattan Beach).

Trolfoli

May 30, 2013

People need to get over this "burn a year of Doughty's prime" stuff. Kings need to go into next season and reassess the situation. There are just too many unanswered questions at this point.

-Brown is an issue... can he be productive on the first line, because the position can't be filled with all that money tied up in Brown's contract. Lewis on the first line doesn't get it done.

-With Brown/Lewis/King in the top 9 the offense with Sutter isn't going to be in the top half the league. If that is the case then the defense is going to have to be top 3 for the Kings to have a shot.

-Defense...
Greene... does he lose a step next season?

Regehr.... Is he coming back next year? If not who replaces his time, especially on the PK

McNabb... Does he fill in for Regehr full time? Will he have growing pains?

Voynov... Does he come back or is he traded... Will he be rusty after missing a year?

Sekera.... Will he resign?

The 3c position isn't the reason the Kings aren't in the playoffs this year. I just don't see why Lombardi would saddle himself with a 10 year buyout when he has bigger issues to deal with. The only explanation would be Lombardi needs the extra cash to sign Sekera.... But then (Richards salary) - (buyout/retention) -(replacement cost) isn't a whole lot of extra money. Unless that replacement is someone like Shore making around 1M... if that is the case the question becomes can the team compete for a cup with someone with limited experience at the 3c position.

Besides what's the down side of keeping Richards? Are the Kings going to miss the playoffs because of him? :laugh:

Trolfoli

May 30, 2013
I think for a team that holds players accountable the only thing to do is buy out Mike Richards. It shows the rest of the team, once again, that LA is not a retirement home that it once was. You either stay in shape year round, eat clean, train constantly or you're out of here at any cost. If you want to fish in the offseason then you'll wind up in Buffalo or Ontario (sorry if you live in Ontario it's just not Manhattan Beach).

So Brown get bought out too?

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada

If we aren't retaining any cap hit and it is post-lottery draft (IE still the 13th overall pick) I would do that.

Pretty sure Richards would agree to take a lead pipe to his kneecaps from Lombardi and go on LTIR before he would even consider retiring.

56de91d05b097cfbe65d1cd3f2f0d586

Jul 31, 2005
CA
So Brown get bought out too?

I'd try and trade him, I know I'll take flak for my opinion but the guy has not been good is a 3rd line winger making 1st line money. Luc got traded, Wayne got traded, I don't know why Kings fans think Brown is not an expendable asset.

funky

Time for the future. More Byfield and Clarke
Mar 9, 2002
I'd try and trade him, I know I'll take flak for my opinion but the guy has not been good is a 3rd line winger making 1st line money. Luc got traded, Wayne got traded, I don't know why Kings fans think Brown is not an expendable asset.

I am with you, trade him!

Also

Trade Greene

Trade Lewis or King - my pick is Lewis as King can score as a third liner

Don't re-sign Stoll and Williams - best years behind them, need fresh legs

Re- up

Toffoli, Jones and try for Sekera. Voynov is to up in the air and if people can remember last year he was a stick breaking turn over machine. I was very disappointed in him as were other. A year off, tons of controversy is not making him improve.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site

Those guys got traded in a non-cap league. When those guys got traded, it represented a shift in the organization. The Kings were done by the time Robitaille was traded, and were a corpse when they finally got rid of Gretzky.

If he's a 3rd liner making 1st line money, how easy is it going to be to trade him?

The question with a Brown trade is both perceptual, and practical. If you're trading Brown, it's not a minor move, regardless of his production. Captain, history with the team, etc. The only reason you would trade him is the reason his value would be low, thus more difficult to move.

kenito7

May 27, 2014
California

If this was last year I would agree with you. I not sure buying out a forth line center sends much of a message to the rest of the team. Richards should have been bought out last year when it would have been a clean break. By waiting a year the Kings options with Richards are not as good. No GM would take Richards in a trade unless he was trying to be fired and buying him out now means he is a cap hit for the next ten years. Also Browns contract is as bad as Richards and the Kings should trade him for anything they can get for him. Maybe they could get a late round draft pick or something.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill

Trade him for what, picks ? Brown's issues, like Gabby's is he need a decent center to get him going. How many times did we see Stoll ,Lewis or whoever fumble the puck or shoot it into a skate,miss a pass by 10 feet? Hell, even when he's planted in front of the net, someone would miss the net by 5 feet or shoot before any traffic can occur. His best years have always been with Kopitar, not with the clowns Sutter puts him with.

kenito7

May 27, 2014
California
Trade him for what, picks ? Brown's issues, like Gabby's is he need a decent center to get him going. How many times did we see Stoll ,Lewis or whoever fumble the puck or shoot it into a skate,miss a pass by 10 feet? Hell, even when he's planted in front of the net, someone would miss the net by 5 feet or shoot before any traffic can occur. His best years have always been with Kopitar, not with the clowns Sutter puts him with.

Yes trade him for anything. Browns issue is not who is at center, his issue is you do not pay 3rd line wingers 5.8 million dollars for 7 more years.

Chain

Feb 2, 2014
Richards play paired with his contract sure seems like an albatross we can't remedy. Still, I have trouble being upset with DL for showing some loyalty to his players. I can't speak for the players, but I know I've always appreciated it when a boss gave the same loyalty they expect. Though it hurts us specifically with Richards, with the right balance it can help us in the long run. Look at the Pearson contract. That might've factored into the lower pay Pearson was willing to take. If several players are willing to take a little less to play for that kind of GM - a million here, a couple hundred grand there - and that could be the difference in signing one more difference making player.

I really wish we knew what was really up with Richards. Fitness, concussions, wear and tear, whatever. They must have a good idea after they did tests on him after bringing him back from Manchester. I'm hoping it's something that maybe having a long summer off can help and is addressed as well as it can be, that he can improve a little to be at least a better 4th line center next year, but I know that's thinner than Murtaugh's wife's cooking.

Martyros

Allow me to retort
Aug 13, 2005
Holly Hood
I'd put him back on a line with carter and move toffoli or pearson up to Kopitar's line for next year and see how it goes.

kenito7

May 27, 2014
California
Richards play paired with his contract sure seems like an albatross we can't remedy. Still, I have trouble being upset with DL for showing some loyalty to his players. I can't speak for the players, but I know I've always appreciated it when a boss gave the same loyalty they expect. Though it hurts us specifically with Richards, with the right balance it can help us in the long run. Look at the Pearson contract. That might've factored into the lower pay Pearson was willing to take. If several players are willing to take a little less to play for that kind of GM - a million here, a couple hundred grand there - and that could be the difference in signing one more difference making player.

I really wish we knew what was really up with Richards. Fitness, concussions, wear and tear, whatever. They must have a good idea after they did tests on him after bringing him back from Manchester. I'm hoping it's something that maybe having a long summer off can help and is addressed as well as it can be, that he can improve a little to be at least a better 4th line center next year, but I know that's thinner than Murtaugh's wife's cooking.

Please tell me which player has taken a discount. Is it the 47m Brown just got the 34m Gaborik will be paid. I see no discounts here. Pearson is being paid what the market allows someone with no leverage. The Kings have won 2 cups and the players whose contract are up now naturally want to be paid. Lombardi chose not to be loyal to Mitchell and Scuderi because the price was to high. Just because Kings players want to be paid doesn't mean the Kings have to be the team that pays them.
As far as Richards, a long summer off doesn't cure old. He played as hard as long as his body would take him but it is time to let someone else to take him and hope for a miracle.

Minor Boarding

Nov 30, 2011
Corleone
I'd put him back on a line with carter and move toffoli or pearson up to Kopitar's line for next year and see how it goes.
Great idea, a defensive zone liability that has no power on his shoot and has trouble keeping up with the speed of the game should really be considered as our next years 2nd line forward.
:shakehead:banghead:

Richards top6 play is gone. He can't handle even strength minutes to be considered for a top 9 job.
It's time for Lombardi to thank him for his services, shake his hand and buy him out.
Richards might give it a try on a eastern team 4th line based on his name/resume (like Brad Richards, Gomez) but I doubt he will last for more then a couple of more NHL seasons.

It sadly had to be said.;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad